Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Girls Cause Divorce?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do Girls Cause Divorce?

    February 23, 2006

    There is evidence that they might. Steven Landsburg discusses the evidence and the debate in two columns in Slate. The reseach it is based on is by Gordon Dahl and Enrico Moretti. Thier paper can be found here. Here is the abstract to the paper:
    This paper shows how parental preferences for sons versus daughters affect divorce, child custody, marriage, shotgun marriage when the sex of the child is known before birth, and fertility stopping rules. We document that parents with girls are significantly more likely to be divorced, that divorced fathers are more likely to have custody of their sons, and that women with only girls are substantially more likely to have never been married. Perhaps the most striking evidence comes from the analysis of shotgun marriages. Among those who have an ultrasound test during their pregnancy, mothers carrying a boy are more likely to be married at delivery. When we turn to fertility, we find that in families with at least two children, the probability of having another child is higher for all-girl families than all-boy families. This preference for sons seems to be largely driven by fathers, with men reporting they would rather have a boy by more than a two to one margin. In the final part of the paper, we compare the effects for the U.S. to five developing countries.
    http://ec970socialecon.blogspot.com/...rls-cause.html
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

  • #2
    Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

    girls do cause problems in some marriages but should not cause divorce at least for any right thinking man, muslim or otherwise because it aint the womans fault, if it is a fault to have a girl that is.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

      Originally posted by umm shuyookh View Post
      girls do cause problems in some marriages but should not cause divorce at least for any right thinking man, muslim or otherwise because it aint the womans fault, if it is a fault to have a girl that is.
      i would like you to explain your comment further please!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

        Talk about generalisation !

        Obviously family dynamics can affect an individual but it could affect a boy as well as a girl.

        I think family interferences are more likely to cause problems.

        If two people genuinely care about each other they can work through anything especially if they're following the deen as it provides us with soo many answers.

        When a couple start talking to outsiders about there problems rather than each other in addition to listening to other people that is more likely to do harm.

        May Allah forgive us for our mistakes and increase us in imaan and good actions and guide us all to the straight path.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

          I think the point the sister is making and Allah knows best, is that usually, the sex of the child is determined by the father's genes(?) rather than the mum's.
          When I grow up, I want to be just like my aunty Nazias and Insomniac Insha Allah...A TREE HUGGER :love: :inlove: :love:
          BOYCOTT CATTERKILLERS!!!


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

            sadly, there are a lot of societies (mainly patriarchic) in this world where boys regarded as more valuable for a family. why is that? because of money, because of the transmission of genes or because they should continue the family business (i.e. farming in rural areas)?
            URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

              Or because they still have the pre-Islamic mind-set that the 'continuation' of your name means that you won't be forgotten? Even the word 'abtar' is seen as an insult...
              "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                They may officially request divorce, but it doesn't mean they are the cause of the reason why they may want to leave that man.
                If you read this closely enough you might spot the secret message hidden in it

                Mr President, You Are Wrong

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                  Originally posted by puella View Post
                  i would like you to explain your comment further please!
                  I mean the birth of only girls makes some men feel sad and even ashamed in some cultures. my mom for instance had six girls and that was my father's only reason for marrying a second wife who as Allah decreed, bore him a son. mom told us the pressure was so much she was willing to do anything to have a son, even shirk, it was that bad.:lailah:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                    Originally posted by umm shuyookh View Post
                    I mean the birth of only girls makes some men feel sad and even ashamed in some cultures. my mom for instance had six girls and that was my father's only reason for marrying a second wife who as Allah decreed, bore him a son. mom told us the pressure was so much she was willing to do anything to have a son, even shirk, it was that bad.:lailah:
                    subhanAllah its so sad to hear that....yes its true some do say that it takes a man to make a man...but that is the jahil way of thinking about it. Allah is in control of what sex your child is,so how can we be haughty when we have six boys or depressed when we have six girls...

                    having many boys in my cultural family implies that you have alot of strength behind you,so people think twice before they would dare to even mess with you...it all heralds back to the times when the pagans of arabia would bury thier daughters alive,for the baseless reason that they are female...yet they need those same females in order to produce the sons that they so desperately want..like a terrible vicious cycle!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                      salam

                      astagfirallah, i cant believe people in the this day and age are still frowning when a girl baby is born. especcially when i see muslim men being upset because their wives have baby girls. i remeber reading an article about how in some places in india they banned parents from finding out the sex of the child because if it was a girl a lot of the parents were aborting it.astagfirallah.

                      in islam there are blessings in having girls.
                      Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”
                      (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                        The girls are the most useful children for the parents. They do almost the whole house work for them , excluding certain task which are too high for their age. On the other hand baby boys are doing nothing, not useful at all. Here everyone is content when a girl is borned.:up:
                        :) t. l. poetry corner
                        So I stay in my chair, staring into the fire,
                        Thinking of where are you at this hour :scratch:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                          Originally posted by sis_niqabi View Post

                          astagfirallah, i cant believe people in the this day and age are still frowning when a girl baby is born. especcially when i see muslim men being upset because their wives have baby girls. i remeber reading an article about how in some places in india they banned parents from finding out the sex of the child because if it was a girl a lot of the parents were aborting it.
                          It never ceases to amaze me when I read threads about how evil etc western culture is, particularly when I read about the evils of other cultures, like the one outlined above. Upset for having a daughter. Abortion because the woman is carrying a baby girl?

                          Thank goodness this perversity is not the norm in the west.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                            Originally posted by Lord Summerisle View Post
                            It never ceases to amaze me when I read threads about how evil etc western culture is, particularly when I read about the evils of other cultures, like the one outlined above. Upset for having a daughter. Abortion because the woman is carrying a baby girl?

                            Thank goodness this perversity is not the norm in the west.

                            the pervisty exists in evil form in western society we live in, and it is very very rife, pre-marital sex is always being promoted, never does anyone stand up and say dont do it.

                            Girls from 10/ 11 and onwards, aborting baby after baby becos they cant stop having pre-marital sex is disgusting and yet society calls this "moving forward" " a part of life" "they are to young for children" yet they arnt to young to sleep with others.

                            instead millions and millions is poured into to show these children HOW to have sex, not stop it but how to have it.
                            The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Do Girls Cause Divorce?

                              Originally posted by sis_niqabi View Post
                              salam

                              astagfirallah, i cant believe people in the this day and age are still frowning when a girl baby is born. especcially when i see muslim men being upset because their wives have baby girls. i remeber reading an article about how in some places in india they banned parents from finding out the sex of the child because if it was a girl a lot of the parents were aborting it.astagfirallah.

                              in islam there are blessings in having girls.
                              that's what happen in my family. when my baby sister was born everyone thought it would be a boy including the doctor, but when she was born she was a girl. when my father found out, he never held her and wouldn't even look at her. now my dad wouldn't never let her go as she's daddy little girl.

                              and also my dad know all his girls mean more to him as we do all his work for him whereas one of my bro his useless
                              'Whenever I remember that day.......I think Allah will never forgive me---- and I faint' :lailah:
                              Sa'eed Ibn Amir (ra)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X