Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahr

Assalamu Alaykom

What is the going rate of mahr for muslimaat women living in the west?
    ALLAH AL-ATHEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-ATHEEM created the earth and everything in the earth and created all of the heavens and everything in all of these heavens and created all of the hells and everything in all of these hells and created all of the universes and everything in all of these universes and created everything in between them.

5-10k in the past it was higher I think, where I'm from anyway.

Other families have lower amount like 3k.

It varies from culture to culture, and families.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Nowadays it's a buyers market...you pay what you want to pay.

Comment

Every woman is different, it depends on her circumstances, her deen and your expenses.

If shes high-maintenance, stuck up or from a greedy family maybe 20K+
        Medium-maintenance, has a shopping addiction or may have some debt that she'd like help with maybe 5-10k
        Strong on the deen, loves your character, desperate to marry, love marriage or maybe its her 2nd marriage then possibly 1-3K

^Just from what I've heard, this doesn't apply to all women obviously. But very few are going to accept only a couple of hundred or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Sister Yasin
          Thank you very much for all of your help and advice
          Last edited by ABDEL-ATHEEM; 13-10-20, 05:56 AM.
          ALLAH AL-ATHEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-ATHEEM created the earth and everything in the earth and created all of the heavens and everything in all of these heavens and created all of the hells and everything in all of these hells and created all of the universes and everything in all of these universes and created everything in between them.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
            Nowadays it's a buyers market...you pay what you want to pay.
            Brother zi-zizou;, Thank you very much for all of your help
            Last edited by ABDEL-ATHEEM; 13-10-20, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyrson View Post
              Every woman is different, it depends on her circumstances, her deen and your expenses.

Medium-maintenance, has a shopping addiction or may have some debt that she'd like help with maybe 5-10k
              Strong on the deen, loves your character, desperate to marry, love marriage or maybe its her 2nd marriage then possibly 1-3K

^Just from what I've heard, this doesn't apply to all women obviously. But very few are going to accept only a couple of hundred or less.
              Brother Martyrson, Thank you very much for all of your help and advice.

Comment

Only one thing to add..
                It very much depends on how much the Br. getting married has.
                If he is ineligible to pay Zakat, then even £500 might be enough.
                ..depends on the bride and her family.

One can also promise to give a greater sum when they have it. (in writing)
                He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters - Psalms (Zaboor of Dawood)

Comment

Wow

Comment

It doesn't mean she is stuck up or greedy.

I requested an amount that people think is high because I had that option, it was negotiable and acceptable.

​​​​​​​It is better to ask the man what he is able to offer first.

I think we should avoid feeling resentment towards those who request a reasonable amount the man is able to pay.

​​​​​​​If someone can't afford it then they are free to say so and offer something that is within their means.
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Much of what you say could apply but also it might just be off the mark.

A man knows his finances so it makes sense for him to put forward what he can afford and what he thinks is reasonable. The woman can then accept or reject this. I don't see much point in having the woman leading in this respect. Yes she can say what she wants but what criteria is she using to come up with her figure, it's just plucked out of the air. She does not know what he can afford so it's sensible for her to be silent and let him come up with a fair offer.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post

Much of what you say could apply but also it might just be off the mark.

A man knows his finances so it makes sense for him to put forward what he can afford and what he thinks is reasonable. The woman can then accept or reject this. I don't see much point in having the woman leading in this respect. Yes she can say what she wants but what criteria is she using to come up with her figure, it's just plucked out of the air. She does not know what he can afford so it's sensible for her to be silent and let him come up with a fair offer.
                        Yes my son. Yes.
                        You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

That is a lot of money just to get married.
                          https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post

Yes my son. Yes.
                            Sun. Your time is coming sun. Be prepared.
                            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by Kiro View Post
                              That is a lot of money just to get married.
                              ..but half-of-your-deen is invaluable!
                              He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still waters - Psalms (Zaboor of Dawood)

Comment

Working...
                              X