Different cultures/countrys attitudes towards polygamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different cultures/countrys attitudes towards polygamy

Asalamu alaykum wa rahmat ullahi wa barakatuhu, i was thinking which cultures are more open to polygamy from you guys experience , for example, pakistanis, arabs, western converts, etc? Im not really looking for a debate on the pros and cons etc.

I've never met anyone in a polygamous marriage in real life. I wonder how common it is in general.

Edit: It probably depends more on a person's situation rather than culture. Divorcees, widows and older women from all different backgrounds.
    Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 28-01-20, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I would put it in my marriage contract that he will not marry another/be in a polygamous marriage with me.

I don't think in my culture we understand polygamy very well. The husbands handle this with injustice.

I heard one story of the first family being completely abandoned, the dad saw his own kids at an Eid fair and ignored them while flaunting the new wife and kids. It only works when the first wife is well-looked after and respectfully treated before and after the new marriage, even then, I urge every women to stipulate in the marriage contract that he can't take another wife.

وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
        I would put it in my marriage contract that he will not marry another/be in a polygamous marriage with me.

I don't think in my culture we understand polygamy very well. The husbands handle this with injustice.

I heard one story of the first family being completely abandoned, the dad saw his own kids at an Eid fair and ignored them while flaunting the new wife and kids. It only works when the first wife is well-looked after and respectfully treated before and after the new marriage, even then, I urge every women to stipulate in the marriage contract that he can't take another wife.
        Would you say your views on polygamy are common in your culture, or are most people pro polygamy? And if you dont mind me asking, which culture di you come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Obaidah23 View Post

Would you say your views on polygamy are common in your culture, or are most people pro polygamy? And if you dont mind me asking, which culture di you come from?
          Assalamu alaikum,

I'm Somali and it kinda seems broadly among at least Somali women (like from family, friends and reading online discussions) that polygamy is not that popular. Not because of religious reasons but just how some men abuse it.
          وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm Somali and it kinda seems broadly among at least Somali women (like from family, friends and reading online discussions) that polygamy is not that popular. Not because of religious reasons but just how some men abuse it.
            Wa alaykum asalam wa rahmat ullahi wa barakatuhu wa maghfiratuh, so i imagine it doesnt happen often with somalis.

Comment

Working...
            X