Age Gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Gap

How much is too much of an age gap? Is 10 years too much? How about around twenty years?

I think it really depends, I have a large age gap which wasn't a problem when i first got married but it is much more prominent now. Being 20 and 35 probably isn't a big deal, but being 40 and 55, then 50 and 65 I would expect the gap to seem wider.

Comment

I think 10 years is alright. 20 seems a bit much.

A couple people in my family have a 10+ year age gap between them and they all seem to be in successful marriages but i do agree that as you get older you will notice it more. My grandma feels that way about my grandpa sometimes. He’s 80 she’s 70, but she only started realizing a change a couple of years ago so I know that they lived 50 years together without feeling much of a difference.

Comment

Subhanallah. I always assumed it gets smaller as you get older but when you put it like that, it makes sense. Are there any issues that come up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by DreamSleep View Post
          Subhanallah. I always assumed it gets smaller as you get older but when you put it like that, it makes sense. Are there any issues that come up with that?
          Obviously as you age there is greater chance you are slowing down, getting health issues, wanting different things etc. If you marry someone much older, say 15 years + then there will come a time when this becomes very apparent and the woman might resent it. Take sexual relations for example, a woman reaches her prime in this regard around 40. Most men in mid to late 50's will be experiencing issues in this department. Again at the same age a man might start to decline in his health, the woman is still young and might resent switching more to being his carer rather than his partner. Obviously I'm generalizing here and many men might not have these issues, but the chances are much more likely.

Comment

I think 10 years too much, many people wouldn't marry someone older 5 years.

Comment

5 max...its beautiful and all when you are young but why sacrifice all those years when you get old for some beautiful years in your youth....i wouldnt even mind if she was older than me,1-2 years older
              whoever leaves something for the sake of Allah,Allah will replace it with something better

Comment

not an issue however with any prospect of any age one must ascertain if that's what you are looking for,

You can marry a very young woman who doesnt want to have kids.

Firstly look at what you want and than look at whether this will mostly be possible in the prospect.

If age is working against you in what you seek than you have your answer.

Deen should always top our list of criteria

Comment

Originally posted by ThisIsJannah View Post
                  I think 10 years too much, many people wouldn't marry someone older 5 years.
                  Many people prefer 10 years or more

Comment

Originally posted by UmmAbdullah86 View Post

Obviously as you age there is greater chance you are slowing down, getting health issues, wanting different things etc. If you marry someone much older, say 15 years + then there will come a time when this becomes very apparent and the woman might resent it. Take sexual relations for example, a woman reaches her prime in this regard around 40. Most men in mid to late 50's will be experiencing issues in this department. Again at the same age a man might start to decline in his health, the woman is still young and might resent switching more to being his carer rather than his partner. Obviously I'm generalizing here and many men might not have these issues, but the chances are much more likely.

Glad you mentioned this, often the focus is on the woman and how she might be infertile due to her age.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

It's a personal choice (no right or wrong answer) so where I am from, many would prefer someone around their age. Two or three years older, and if he is a good candidate then 5-8 years older is fine.

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Working...
                      X