This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadith against domestic violence

Ali ibn Abi Talib reported: The wife of Al-Walid ibn ‘Uqbah came to the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and she complained to him saying, “O Messenger of Allah! Al-Walid has beaten me!”

The Prophet said, “Say to him: He has protected me.” She did not stay but for a while until she returned and she said, “He did not give me anything but more beatings!”

The Prophet tore a piece of cloth from his shirt and he said, “Say to him: Verily, the Messenger of Allah has given me his protection.” She did not stay but for a while until she returned and she said, “He did not give me anything but more beatings!” The Prophet raised his hands and he said, “O Allah, you must deal with Al-Walid, for he has sinned against me twice.”

Source: Musnad Aḥmad 1257

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Ahmad Shakir

عَنْ عَلِيٍّ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ أَنَّ امْرَأَةَ الْوَلِيدِ بْنِ عُقْبَةَ أَتَتْ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فَقَالَتْ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إِنَّ الْوَلِيدَ يَضْرِبُهَا وَقَالَ نَصْرُ بْنُ عَلِيٍّ فِي حَدِيثِهِ تَشْكُوهُ قَالَ قُولِي لَهُ قَدْ أَجَارَنِي قَالَ عَلِيٌّ فَلَمْ تَلْبَثْ إِلَّا يَسِيرًا حَتَّى رَجَعَتْ فَقَالَتْ مَا زَادَنِي إِلَّا ضَرْبًا فَأَخَذَ هُدْبَةً مِنْ ثَوْبِهِ فَدَفَعَهَا إِلَيْهَا وَقَالَ قُولِي لَهُ إِنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَدْ أَجَارَنِي فَلَمْ تَلْبَثْ إِلَّا يَسِيرًا حَتَّى رَجَعَتْ فَقَالَتْ مَا زَادَنِي إِلَّا ضَرْبًا فَرَفَعَ يَدَيْهِ وَقَالَ اللَّهُمَّ عَلَيْكَ الْوَلِيدَ أَثِمَ بِي مَرَّتَيْنِ

1257 مسند أحمد بن حنبل مسند العشرة المبشرين بالجنة مسند الخلفاء الراشدين

المحدث أحمد شاكر خلاصة حكم المحدث إسناده صحيح في مسند أحمد 2/326

https://abuaminaelias.com/does-the-q...t-their-wives/

~

Fatimah bint Qays reported: Her husband divorced her three times and the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon her, had not appointed her housing or maintenance.

The Prophet said to her, “When your waiting period is over, come to me.” Fatimah came to him and she was given a marriage proposal from Mu’awiyyah, Abu Jahm, and Usamah ibn Zayd.

The Prophet said, “As for Mu’awiyyah, he is poor and has no property. As for Abu Jahm, he is a man who often beats women. Rather, choose Usamah ibn Zayd.” Fatimah indicated with her hand that she did not want Usamah. The Prophet said, “Obedience to Allah and his messenger is better for you.” Fatimah said, “I married him and I was envied.”

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 1480

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Muslim

عن فَاطِمَة بِنْت قَيْسٍ قالت إِنَّ زَوْجَهَا طَلَّقَهَا ثَلَاثًا فَلَمْ يَجْعَلْ لَهَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ سُكْنَى وَلَا نَفَقَةً قَالَتْ قَالَ لِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ إِذَا حَلَلْتِ فَآذِنِينِي فَآذَنْتُهُ فَخَطَبَهَا مُعَاوِيَةُ وَأَبُو جَهْمٍ وَأُسَامَةُ بْنُ زَيْدٍ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَمَّا مُعَاوِيَةُ فَرَجُلٌ تَرِبٌ لَا مَالَ لَهُ وَأَمَّا أَبُو جَهْمٍ فَرَجُلٌ ضَرَّابٌ لِلنِّسَاءِ وَلَكِنْ أُسَامَةُ بْنُ زَيْدٍ فَقَالَتْ بِيَدِهَا هَكَذَا أُسَامَةُ أُسَامَةُ فَقَالَ لَهَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ طَاعَةُ اللَّهِ وَطَاعَةُ رَسُولِهِ خَيْرٌ لَكِ قَالَتْ فَتَزَوَّجْتُهُ فَاغْتَبَطْتُ

1480 صحيح مسلم كتاب الطلاق باب المطلقة ثلاثا لا نفقة لها

https://abuaminaelias.com/dailyhadit...llah-marriage/
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

:jkk: Funny how the enemies of Islam love to claim Islam encourages domestic violence, when good treatment of one's wives was commanded by the Prophet :saw: and his example was the best example and he never did such things.
    Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

I'm trying to understand the first hadith. Is it authentic?

This woman comes to the Prophet complaining of serious domestic abuse, the Prophet doesn't given any punishment to the man. He doesnt have the man arrested or brought before him. He just sends the woman back home for a third time and tells her it's ok, God will deal with it after you die.

Can this hadith be true? It doesn't paint a good picture if it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaZayd View Post

This woman comes to the Prophet complaining of serious domestic abuse, the Prophet doesn't given any punishment to the man. He doesnt have the man arrested or brought before him. He just sends the woman back home for a third time and tells her it's ok, God will deal with it after you die.

Read the hadith in English again. Tell us where does it say the Prophet (pbuh) says to her "it's ok God will deal with it after you die" because I can't seem to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post

Read the hadith in English again. Tell us where does it say the Prophet (pbuh) says to her "it's ok God will deal with it after you die" because I can't seem to find it.
          Th conclusion of the hadith isn't that the Prophet sent for Al-Walid and had him whipped or that the Prophet ordered for Al-Walid to be separated from his wife or that the Prophet had Al-Walid arrested. The conclusion of the hadith is this...

The Prophet raised his hands and he said, “O Allah, you must deal with Al-Walid, for he has sinned against me twice.”
          The Prophet made a dua that Allah will deal with Al-Walid. We never heard of any miracle where Allah sent an angel to 'deal with Al-Walid' during his life and if it happened and it wasn't documented then it has no bearing on this hadith and it's application.

So in essence she was sent back home to her abusive husband and asked to wait for God to deal with the husband which to the best of our knowledge would happen after his death.

Comment

The second hadith is no better. In it the Prophet suggests a man who beats his wives as a possible husband for a woman. Yes he asks her to choose the other guy but he gives her two choices one of whom is a known wife beater.

Who even stickied this thread?

Comment

Th conclusion of the hadith isn't that the Prophet sent for Al-Walid and had him whipped or that the Prophet ordered for Al-Walid to be separated from his wife or that the Prophet had Al-Walid arrested. The conclusion of the hadith is this...

The Prophet made a dua that Allah will deal with Al-Walid. We never heard of any miracle where Allah sent an angel to 'deal with Al-Walid' during his life and if it happened and it wasn't documented then it has no bearing on this hadith and it's application.

So in essence she was sent back home to her abusive husband and asked to wait for God to deal with the husband which to the best of our knowledge would happen after his death.
              Who are you to be making that assumption (bolded part)? Don't people get dealt with whilst they are alive? Also they can be dealt with in many ways. The person may realise their mistakes and reform.

Are you a Muslim?

Last edited by Mintchocchip; 05-11-19, 10:59 AM.

Comment

The second hadith is no better. In it the Prophet suggests a man who beats his wives as a possible husband for a woman. Yes he asks her to choose the other guy but he gives her two choices one of whom is a known wife beater.

Who even stickied this thread?
                No he (PBUH) doesn't suggest that. That female companion was given the proposals herself, and our beloved Prophet PBUH advised her against him since he was a violent individual.
                وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Comment

You have poor reading and comprehension skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

You have poor reading and comprehension skills.
                    Well explain what I've got wrong with your superior comprehension skills.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

No he (PBUH) doesn't suggest that. That female companion was given the proposals herself, and our beloved Prophet PBUH advised her against him since he was a violent individual.
                      Where did you get that from? The Hadith says he asked her to come back to him after her iddah was completed and then it says she came to him (the prophet) and was given two choices. Please show where in the hadith it says what you are claiming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post

Who are you to be making that assumption (bolded part)? Don't people get dealt with whilst they are alive? Also they can be dealt with in many ways. The person may realise their mistakes and reform.

Are you a Muslim?

The person may realise their mistakes and reform, the person may get punished by God during their life or after their death. That is true of any faith, it is not peculiar to Islam. The point is secular law prescribes punishments for domestic violence. According to this Hadith the only Islamic recourse a wife who is beaten has, is to make a dua for God to help her.

Like I said, not the best choices for sticky Hadith but not my website.

Comment

Where did you get that from? The Hadith says he asked her to come back to him after her iddah was completed and then it says she came to him (the prophet) and was given two choices. Please show where in the hadith it says what you are claiming.
                          The Prophet said to her, “When your waiting period is over, come to me.” Fatimah came to him and she was given a marriage proposal from Mu’awiyyah, Abu Jahm, and Usamah ibn Zayd.

The Prophet said, “As for Mu’awiyyah, he is poor and has no property. As for Abu Jahm, he is a man who often beats women. Rather, choose Usamah ibn Zayd.” Fatimah indicated with her hand that she did not want Usamah. The Prophet said, “Obedience to Allah and his messenger is better for you.” Fatimah said, “I married him and I was envied.”

Are you saying the Prophet PBUH gave her these choices without those men's choices being involved. Its seems like they gave the proposal and this was relayed to the Prophet PBUH, who gave his opinion about these men, and revealed to her the bad habits of one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

Are you saying the Prophet PBUH gave her these choices without those men's choices being involved. Its seems like they gave the proposal and this was relayed to the Prophet PBUH, who gave his opinion about these men, and revealed to her the bad habits of one of them.
                            I never said the Prophet tried to force these men to marry a woman without their consent. Why are you trying to prove a ridiculous idea that was never said?

According to this Hadith, the Prophet took on the role of a matchmaker for this woman. He told her to come back to him after her iddah period. That's 3 whole months, a long time for a man appointed by God as her protector and Prophet. He told her after 3 months he would have some potentials for her. One of the potentials he presented her was a wife beater, the other was a pauper.

I mean if I had a female relative and asked the local imam to find some potentials for her and the Imam came back and said...

'Well... I've brought these two guys for your consideration. One of them is a known wife beater but the other guy is broke. I suggest you go with the broke guy because the wife beater is the worse option. Why? Are these are the only two possible choices in the whole of the ummah?'

I'm pretty sure most people would give the Imam a slap but here we have a Hadith suggesting that's exactly what the Prophet did. Out of his whole ummah full of men who can have up to 4 wives each he could only come back to her with a wife beater and a pauper.

If this is your idea of a Hadith that should be stickied then what can I say. Go for it.

Comment

I never said the Prophet tried to force these men to marry a woman without their consent. Why are you trying to prove a ridiculous idea that was never said?

According to this Hadith, the Prophet took on the role of a matchmaker for this woman. He told her to come back to him after her iddah period. That's 3 whole months, a long time for a man appointed by God as her protector and Prophet. He told her after 3 months he would have some potentials for her. One of the potentials he presented her was a wife beater, the other was a pauper.

I mean if I had a female relative and asked the local imam to find some potentials for her and the Imam came back and said...

'Well... I've brought these two guys for your consideration. One of them is a known wife beater but the other guy is broke. I suggest you go with the broke guy because the wife beater is the worse option. Why? Are these are the only two possible choices in the whole of the ummah?'

I'm pretty sure most people would give the Imam a slap but here we have a Hadith suggesting that's exactly what the Prophet did. Out of his whole ummah full of men who can have up to 4 wives each he could only come back to her with a wife beater and a pauper.

If this is your idea of a Hadith that should be stickied then what can I say. Go for it.
                              It could also be that, the Prophet PBUH asked men generally if they would be interested in marrying a newly divorced female companion, and these men came forward. What I said earlier is closer to the info from the hadith.

How about you think more positively of the Prophet PBUH. Maybe there are circumstances you are not aware of, the context? What is with this negativity?

Ok so secular law does penalize domestic violence, rightly, but just only in the previous century. I am telling you that no-way way did secular (well christian in those days) law have provisions against domestic violence in the 6th century.

We should be able to take the example of Rasoolullah PBUH's condemnation of domestic violence and make enforcements too (nowadays there are police).

Comment

Working...
                              X