Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is culture really all that important when it comes to marriage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creamcake
    replied
    In my opinion it's not important, at all.
    My family and relatives all essentially hold the same view as me.
    I am south asian btw and people always seem surprised that my family is so 'open' about this..i've been brought up knowing it makes no difference to my family (at all) so i just view it as entirely normal.
    But a lot of my friends families seem to mind/at the least have a preference, that they marry someone of the same ethnicity (sometimes even caste)
    I don't see the big deal/fuss at all, but thats because of how me and my family are and there's a lot of ethnic diversity, in regards to who has married in the family.

Leave a comment:

• Pippin1376
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
    There are still Western raised Muslims who are very in tune with their "back home" culture. Therefore, they're more attracted to someone from the same culture.

And even if there weren't, people prefer a similar background because it's just easier for the families to mesh well and get along.
    But the culture of the parents (who were raised in a different country) is not the same culture as the child (who grew up in the West). Even if you're in tuned with your 'back home' culture that doesn't mean much when you still have the culture of your new home country engraved in you.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic Believer
    replied
    There are still Western raised Muslims who are very in tune with their "back home" culture. Therefore, they're more attracted to someone from the same culture.

And even if there weren't, people prefer a similar background because it's just easier for the families to mesh well and get along.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X