This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical situation - letting culture get in the way

I've seen a lot of people in my family getting hitched and culture has always gotten in the way when it comes to marriage. Give an example, couple do nikkah which is treated more like an engagement but the "official wedding" isn't till next year. Even though nikkah has been done they can't actually see each other, live together etc till the "official wedding" is done. So it got me thinking, if I ever get hitched and the spouse to be and her family are adamant to follow so called culture, would I just call it off and move on? Because I do not follow culture at all, as a Muslim I'll follow things the right way. I'm not perfect at all, but if there's one thing I want to do right in this life would be marriage.

What would you do? Would you just follow culture and do things how your family have always done it or would you do whatever it takes to do things the right way as our prophets did?

Funny I was in a similar nikah /engagement event a week ago.
    marriage next year.

​​​​​​yeah its pointless.
    but may be the guy is applying finishing touches to the house so need some time

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antê” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

Yeah, I get there's things that need to be done etc. But people I know already got the so called foundations set, so there isn't any reason to delay it. I dunno just baffles me.

What I find really ironic, during the wedding they make dua etc soon as ameen is said tunes are blasting out, dancing all round and all that. Just doesn't sit well with me, you're completing half your deen and it's like your throwing it back in allah's face after he's found someone for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nemo_88 View Post
        I've seen a lot of people in my family getting hitched and culture has always gotten in the way when it comes to marriage. Give an example, couple do nikkah which is treated more like an engagement but the "official wedding" isn't till next year. Even though nikkah has been done they can't actually see each other, live together etc till the "official wedding" is done. So it got me thinking, if I ever get hitched and the spouse to be and her family are adamant to follow so called culture, would I just call it off and move on? Because I do not follow culture at all, as a Muslim I'll follow things the right way. I'm not perfect at all, but if there's one thing I want to do right in this life would be marriage.

What would you do? Would you just follow culture and do things how your family have always done it or would you do whatever it takes to do things the right way as our prophets did?
        You should speak to the girl in question and see what she says about it. See what reasons she gives if she was to follow culture. That way you will also find out if she is more inclined to culture or religion.

It would be good if the girls opposes the culture so after nikah could show them you two are husband and wife so not haraam to be with each other.

Think you should make it clear in the beginning that once nikah is done thats it, you two are not waiting around for rukhsati (send off). Make it clear nikah is the send off.

Comment

"What would you do"

-_-

Comment

Working...
          X