Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Finance?

Salam all

Wanted to gain some of your views and opinions about finances within marriage as me and my wife have some disagreements about who is responsible for what, and when ever we "argue" she points out that I don't accept my responsibilities- which is hurtful.

Me and my wife both work, she has larger savings than me, mainly due to me paying the rent, and all the other bills and grocery costs that keep a home operating. Her Zakat due is £900+. She has said it is my responsibility to pay that as I am her husband. By responsibility, she actually means I should pay from my own earnings. I advised her that ideally it would come from her earnings, regardless if I can afford it or not. My rationale is that I do not make use of any of her money (and also that she criticises me for not saving more, so spending what I have will only cause further problems).

I am exempt from paying Zakat due to having debts- but I have managed to organise my finance to ensure I have some savings too.

As the husband, I sat down with her, done the calculations and told her the sum. I have also selected charity organisations who can help spread the money for causes. I consider this to be my responsibility- ensuring a clear path is drawn.

I'm sure there are loads of married couples out there who just get on with it. But it seems to be a source of tension for us. Who is actually responsible for payment, and is my wife being fair knowing my circumstances? Or I am being unfair to my wife?

Jazak'allah

According to a fatwa It is her responsibility to pay for it but her husband, father, brother can pay on her behalf but that is if you agree to it.

I think while your wife is working she should pay for it but once you guys have children and she isn't working then maybe pay for it.
    Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Originally posted by Sharpshooter View Post
      Salam all

Wanted to gain some of your views and opinions about finances within marriage as me and my wife have some disagreements about who is responsible for what, and when ever we "argue" she points out that I don't accept my responsibilities- which is hurtful.

Me and my wife both work, she has larger savings than me, mainly due to me paying the rent, and all the other bills and grocery costs that keep a home operating. Her Zakat due is £900+. She has said it is my responsibility to pay that as I am her husband. By responsibility, she actually means I should pay from my own earnings. I advised her that ideally it would come from her earnings, regardless if I can afford it or not. My rationale is that I do not make use of any of her money (and also that she criticises me for not saving more, so spending what I have will only cause further problems).

I am exempt from paying Zakat due to having debts- but I have managed to organise my finance to ensure I have some savings too.

As the husband, I sat down with her, done the calculations and told her the sum. I have also selected charity organisations who can help spread the money for causes. I consider this to be my responsibility- ensuring a clear path is drawn.

I'm sure there are loads of married couples out there who just get on with it. But it seems to be a source of tension for us. Who is actually responsible for payment, and is my wife being fair knowing my circumstances? Or I am being unfair to my wife?

Jazak'allah
      Its not your responsibility to pay for her Zakaat,
      ​​​​​​
      Her Gold, savings and whatnot are her property, she is the owner and therefore personally liable to pay for it.

If you pay for her Zakaat, you did her a favour. Otherwise she needs to sell of her Gold, or use some of her savings to pay for it.

جزاك الله خيرا
      http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Thanks. I thought so, I do think many married couples out there are expecting the husband to pay it. And many married men do not challenge it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

Its not your responsibility to pay for her Zakaat,
          ​​​​​​
          Her Gold, savings and whatnot are her property, she is the owner and therefore personally liable to pay for it.

If you pay for her Zakaat, you did her a favour. Otherwise she needs to sell of her Gold, or use some of her savings to pay for it.

جزاك الله خيرا
          Do you mind asking sheikh Abu Musab for an answer?

I'd like to see what he says (in the past I asked him about something and his answer was different to everything online, so I'm just interested in knowing about this).

Jazak Allah hu khair
          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

According to the below link she could be paying off your debt...

https://islamqa.info/en/43207

You could ask her to willingly hand over her wealth to you and then you can say you'll happily pay the zakat due.

She is earning, has wealth and does not want to pay zakat. Ajeeb.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
              According to the below link she could be paying off your debt...

https://islamqa.info/en/43207

You could ask her to willingly hand over her wealth to you and then you can say you'll happily pay the zakat due.

She is earning, has wealth and does not want to pay zakat. Ajeeb.
              I also find it strange that she doesnt want to get the reward but anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by savo234 View Post

I also find it strange that she doesnt want to get the reward but anyways.
                there is a hadith about zakat being considered a burden by people

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-hanafi/43800

i dont know how authentic it is tho maybe someone can check it please

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

Do you mind asking sheikh Abu Musab for an answer?

I'd like to see what he says (in the past I asked him about something and his answer was different to everything online, so I'm just interested in knowing about this).

Jazak Allah hu khair
                  His answer is the same ukthi, no passing the buck we are all responsible personally for our own wealth.

Here's his reply ...

"Wa Alaykumus Salaamu Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuhu.

Each person is responsible for their own Zakaah, not anyone else.

Not her husband, father, son or brother.

It's her duty to pay it, if her father or husband etc pays it for her with her permission then it will be fine, but it's her individual responsibility.

And Allaah Knows Best."
                  ​​​​
                  جزاك الله خيرا
                  Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 04-06-18, 04:12 AM.
                  http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Working...
                  X