X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make parents happy

:salams

A while back I asked mum if she wants to go to some place with me/spend time together (its an exhibition place) but she said she didnt want to. :zzz: Her age is 60 plus. I made another suggestion and she declined as well. And then I thought looks like I've run out of ideas.
    Hence this thread.
    So I thought it be a good idea if we can all share our experience and knowledge on this matter so everyone can benefit and be inspired to do the same.
    So please share what are the creative ways that you can think of to make parents happy.

This thread aims to follow and propegate the sunnah of being good to one's parents and is dedicated to parents.
    Do not scroll down first
    Here's how it works, you open up notepad, (type it in notepad, save them somewhere) list down all the ideas via number format.
    Then post them here.
    Then scroll down to see answers and how you and other posters thought of the same idea. It be cool.

I will post mine after this,inshaAllah.

Allah says in the Quran
    https://quran.com/4/36
    Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good,

In hadith

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/78/2
    https://sunnah.com/bukhari/56/213

Some links on parenting

http://www.hadithoftheday.com/parents/
    http://abuaminaelias.com/honor-your-...ther-in-islam/

May Allah allow us to continue to be good/kind to our parents

Re: How to make parents happy

1. Do not become problematic
    2. Eat out at restaurants
    3. Make jokes with them.
    4. Accompany them to places where they need to go.
    5. Etc

Comment

Wslmwwb

I think the best thing we can do for parents is not to make their lives more difficult.

Like having to deal with drug addict kids etc...

Comment

-tell them stories about your day
        -listen to theirs, attentively
        -ask if you can clean their rooms
        -overlook their weird habits unless it's something worth mentioning
        -follow them to grocery store so you carry the heavy bags
        -avoid saying no when they ask for favours
        -make dua for parents after every prayer

Comment

Its the small things that make the most impact for our mothers

1. Ask how her day went, listen to her ....can't emphasis how important this is, often our mothers are so wrapped up in caring for their family that they never get a chance to just sit down and get things off their chest

2. Make her food ...even if its just tea

3. Wash the dishes/clean the house ....before she even asks it of you

4. Just give your parents as much ease as possible by taking some of their responsibilities onto your shoulders ....could be financially, housework, looking after siblings etc ...depends on your family dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by Ekoor View Post
            Wslmwwb

I think the best thing we can do for parents is not to make their lives more difficult.

Like having to deal with drug addict kids etc...
            True, same thinking! Something so basic that at times we may overlook.

Originally posted by nudgetheputri View Post
            -tell them stories about your day
            -listen to theirs, attentively
            -ask if you can clean their rooms
            -overlook their weird habits unless it's something worth mentioning
            -follow them to grocery store so you carry the heavy bags
            -avoid saying no when they ask for favours
            -make dua for parents after every prayer
            mashaAllah , agree
            Also, the last sentence, reminder for myself.

Originally posted by MyUsernameIs... View Post
            Its the small things that make the most impact for our mothers

1. Ask how her day went, listen to her ....can't emphasis how important this is, often our mothers are so wrapped up in caring for their family that they never get a chance to just sit down and get things off their chest

2. Make her food ...even if its just tea

3. Wash the dishes/clean the house ....before she even asks it of you

4. Just give your parents as much ease as possible by taking some of their responsibilities onto your shoulders ....could be financially, housework, looking after siblings etc ...depends on your family dynamics
            Inspiring
            True true, an extra listening ear will help.

Jazakullah khair everyone.

Comment

:wswrwb:

1. Agree to marry the Stani of their choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimThinker View Post

:salams

A while back I asked mum if she wants to go to some place with me/spend time together (its an exhibition place) but she said she didnt want to. :zzz: Her age is 60 plus. I made another suggestion and she declined as well. And then I thought looks like I've run out of ideas.
                Hence this thread.
                So I thought it be a good idea if we can all share our experience and knowledge on this matter so everyone can benefit and be inspired to do the same.
                So please share what are the creative ways that you can think of to make parents happy.

This thread aims to follow and propegate the sunnah of being good to one's parents and is dedicated to parents.
                Do not scroll down first
                Here's how it works, you open up notepad, (type it in notepad, save them somewhere) list down all the ideas via number format.
                Then post them here.
                Then scroll down to see answers and how you and other posters thought of the same idea. It be cool.

I will post mine after this,inshaAllah.

Allah says in the Quran
                https://quran.com/4/36
                Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good,

In hadith

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/78/2
                https://sunnah.com/bukhari/56/213

Some links on parenting

http://www.hadithoftheday.com/parents/
                http://abuaminaelias.com/honor-your-...ther-in-islam/

May Allah allow us to continue to be good/kind to our parents
                I'm a parent, and all my kid has to do to make me happy is me knowing they are happy.. Most amazing feeling ever seeing your kids happy. No gift, holiday, event, idea can come close.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
                  I'm a parent, and all my kid has to do to make me happy is me knowing they are happy.. Most amazing feeling ever seeing your kids happy. No gift, holiday, event, idea can come close.
                  Not money, even?

Comment

Not money, even?
                    Getting money from my kid would make me feel like a failure. Insha'allah I hope to never live to see such an awful, insulting, embarrassing day.

Comment

Getting money from my kid would make me feel like a failure. Insha'allah I hope to never live to see such an awful, insulting, embarrassing day.
                      Oh, you'd feel like a failure? I've never come across one like that.

What I meant was giving the parents money when they're retired. I would think usually parents would appreciate being provided for by their working children. Sometimes it's expected from them.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                        :wswrwb:

1. Agree to marry the Stani of their choosing.

Oh ok, Stani? It means?

Comment

MashaAllah, yes sometimes the most basic of things.
                          inshaAllah, in the near future once Im a parent I'll consider opening up a thread called "How to make children happy"
                          I'll insert this one in , credits to you. :up:

So I'll sum up this as, we should be happy and not sad, that will make parents happy.

Comment

What I meant was giving the parents money when they're retired. I would think usually parents would appreciate being provided for by their working children. Sometimes it's expected from them.
                            Something like allowance you mean. Yes, I think that is part of the things that can make parents happy.
                            The higher the allowance the more happier they are. :rotfl:

Jk jk.

Its the thought that counts.

Comment

When retired, that means I've had 60 to 70 years to earn money and set something up to earn me money automatically when i am no longer able to work. That will mean I had 40 years to achieve that. If I was unable to achieve that by the time I retire, and had to rely on handouts from my kids, the shame of failing to setup continuous income for myself during the 40 years would be unbearable. If I had to rely on kids to provide for me, the shame would probably be so extreme. Need to start praying to god to never put me in such an awful situation insha'allah.
                              Last edited by oshirowanen; 04-07-17, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X