• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to make parents happy

Make them feel important.

Listen to their opinions.

Make dua for them.

I have found it challenging to make my parents happy. Lol
    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

This thread.

Originally posted by khamid View Post
      pray everyday for them

اَللّهُمَّ اغْفِرْلِيْ وَلِوَالِدَيَّ وَارْحَمْهُمَاكَمَارَبَّيَانِيْ صَغِيْرَا.

ALLOHUMMAGHFIRLII WALIWAALIDAYYA WAR HAMHUMAA KAMA RABBAYAANII SHAGIIRAA
      fiqih islam

yes Important du'a

Originally posted by Afzalsheikh View Post
      Behave well towards their father and mother and consider this good conduct as a propitious act which will earn God’s grace in this world as well as in the next. Next to God, man owes the greatest responsibility to his parents.

What you mean is behave well towards my grandparents.
      Both sides are no longer around already. They have passed away.
      Good idea nonetheless. Missed my grandma.

Originally posted by neelu View Post
      Walaykum salam wrwb,

If you want to do something nice for your mum, then give her a day off. Mum's never get a day off even if it's Eid, their birthday or mother's day. You take over the chores for her especially if she complains about being tired or looks worn out. Run errands for her, whether that means picking up her younger kids or grandkids from school or other things like that. If there are younger kids or grandkids, then offer to look after them or take them out once in a while if that makes it easier for her to get a break from running around after them.

If you want to do something more special such as for a special occasion, then try to do it on her own terms in a way that she's more comfortable with, even if that seems less impressive to you. If you want to organise a nice dinner for her, then you could eat out, or if she doesn't like eating out, you can order in food, but if you do that, then you should also take responsibility for clearing up and washing the dishes afterwards, otherwise it just becomes more work for her, or sometimes I've suggested to my brother that he organises such events at his house (again so that she doesn't feel compelled to clear up at the end).

My mum is like yours. She wont go on trips or stay overnight away from home at all. In fact in recent years, she finds going away (even for a holiday) a burden that's more hassle than it's worth and would feel more relaxed just chillin' at home even though my brother finds that boring and like you, he keeps suggesting things to do and places to go and she keeps turning him down.

Noted on the chores. Reminds me of some viral video back then. They were interviewing people and mentioning it is a 24/7 job. So the interviewees were like puzzled wondering what kind of job is 24/7. At the end they revealed/mentioned the mother's job was 24/7.

Recent update since the posts I made,we went for a short trip away somewhere. Her idea. I did the administration stuff, bookings, transport etc.
      Quite expensive I guess, but should be worth it. I think I just need to match her interests, just propose something and she if she's ok with it.
      But sometimes, after planning she won't feel the mood to go. And prefer to just stay at home.
      I think its the issue of transport also. If we were able to get them without having them to walk much, they be much more willing I guess.

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
      Make them feel important.

Listen to their opinions.

Make dua for them.

I have found it challenging to make my parents happy. Lol

Noted. Perhaps not to the extent of happy in someway , but maybe satisfied or contented would suffice.

Comment

I'll post a few here.
        Bus rides. They do seem to enjoy bus rides if you are sitting next to them. Maybe its just my mother.
        She'll like to bring snacks too. Father likes the air-con.

They love picnics too. With the radio on and enjoying the breeze.
        On top of all these, seeing or being with their grandchildren seems to be one of top things that pleasures them the most.

Comment

My mum likes shopping, especially for kitchen utensils

Lol
          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimThinker View Post
            I'll post a few here.
            Bus rides. They do seem to enjoy bus rides if you are sitting next to them. Maybe its just my mother.
            She'll like to bring snacks too. Father likes the air-con.

They love picnics too. With the radio on and enjoying the breeze.
            On top of all these, seeing or being with their grandchildren seems to be one of top things that pleasures them the most.
            Nah

My mum doesn't like public transport

She is OTT with hygiene lol, I think all her daughters get it from her as well

Comment

Read Quran with her.
              You, two doing something together, even very simple everyday things, how amazing and bonding that could be.

Or, what are things she is interested...you can talk about those things with her/ or go see them.

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimThinker View Post
                How to make parents happy

:salams

A while back I asked mum if she wants to go to some place with me/spend time together (its an exhibition place) but she said she didnt want to. :zzz: Her age is 60 plus. I made another suggestion and she declined as well. And then I thought looks like I've run out of ideas.
                Hence this thread.
                So I thought it be a good idea if we can all share our experience and knowledge on this matter so everyone can benefit and be inspired to do the same.
                So please share what are the creative ways that you can think of to make parents happy.

This thread aims to follow and propegate the sunnah of being good to one's parents and is dedicated to parents.
                Do not scroll down first
                Here's how it works, you open up notepad, (type it in notepad, save them somewhere) list down all the ideas via number format.
                Then post them here.
                Then scroll down to see answers and how you and other posters thought of the same idea. It be cool.

I will post mine after this,inshaAllah.

Allah says in the Quran
                https://quran.com/4/36
                Worship Allah and associate nothing with Him, and to parents do good,

In hadith

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/78/2
                https://sunnah.com/bukhari/56/213

Some links on parenting

http://www.hadithoftheday.com/parents/
                http://abuaminaelias.com/honor-your-...ther-in-islam/

May Allah allow us to continue to be good/kind to our parents
                I think you should make more of an effort to take you mum out to these places that you think will interest her. Maybe she's never been before and doesn't know what to expect. But I"m sure she'll like it. People at 60 think they've seen everythign and done everything.

Comment

If mummy and daddy haven't been to umrah or hajj then help them towards the cost.

Making them breakfast.

Cook them a meal.

Buy them something they like.

Take them to visit their friends/relatives.

If you don't live with them then spend a night there or invite them to stay at your place.

Comment

Jazakullah khair for the responses
                    Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
                    My mum likes shopping, especially for kitchen utensilsLol
                    Yeah mine too, excited over sales and discounts at times. But shopping over hijab/clothes, I will have to sit at the shop and wait for so loooooong. Mum, next shop please. (but before the next shop is another clothes/hijab shop)
                    Originally posted by Ikki View Post
                    I think you should make more of an effort to take you mum out to these places that you think will interest her. Maybe she's never been before and doesn't know what to expect. But I"m sure she'll like it. People at 60 think they've seen everythign and done everything.
                    Only recently brought her to see the fishes. And some other place. Therapeutic. Its been a while since OP but she seems to be open now to going out. In fact she wants to go out now more , and more full of ideas now. But on a more serious note, I think some saw this thread and made du’a for my mother or etc. Alhamdulilah.
                    Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post
                    If mummy and daddy haven't been to umrah or hajj then help them towards the cost. Making them breakfast. Cook them a meal.Buy them something they like. Take them to visit their friends/relatives. If you don't live with them then spend a night there or invite them to stay at your place.
                    Alhamdulilah we did went Umrah together recently. Still living with them. Not good with cooking.
                    Originally posted by uccello verde View Post
                    Read Quran with her.You, two doing something together, even very simple everyday things, how amazing and bonding that could be.Or, what are things she is interested...you can talk about those things with her/ or go see them.
                    Yes, like watch TV. While usually the person are they are able to do this more , once they are married and have own house etc its no longer as much as the case before.

Comment

Working...
                    X