Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make Eid special for your children?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make Eid special for your children?

Assalamu alaykum

I'd be interested to know what special Eid traditions you have in your own families to make Eid extra special for your children.

That Eid in excel thing in London looks good, is anyone going?

what kind of things have you purchased for Eid gifts for your children?

Do you decorate your houses for Eid?
    https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Re: How do you make Eid special for your children?

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
    Assalamu alaykum

I'd be interested to know what special Eid traditions you have in your own families to make Eid extra special for your children.

Wa alaykumus salaam,

How old are the kids?

Depends on their age and interests, but in my own case we put simple decorations up, usually paper chains and balloons but some islamic pics and posters made by the kids, make sure we visit relatives, exchange gifts and proceed to eat enough chocolates and biryani for a whole month... ok maybe skip the last one.

We also usually make sure we go to the eid salaah in Victoria park, or else go masjid taqwa which both have a large jammat and events and treats for the kids after the salaah, as well as having an English speaking khateeb with good relevant reminders.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
      Wa alaykumus salaam,

How old are the kids?

Depends on their age and interests, but in my own case we put simple decorations up, usually paper chains and balloons but some islamic pics and posters made by the kids, make sure we visit relatives, exchange gifts and proceed to eat enough chocolates and biryani for a whole month... ok maybe skip the last one.

We also usually make sure we go to the eid salaah in Victoria park, or else go masjid taqwa which both have a large jammat and events and treats for the kids after the salaah, as well as having an English speaking khateeb with good relevant reminders.
      3 and 1

Funny you mention Victoria park AND taqwa as I wanted to take my children to the park but their dad said he will take my eldest daughter to masjid taqwa. I suppose I can visit the park later on, it's always a nice atmosphere. Hope the khutba in the park is good though...

Islamic pics and posters up sounds good, I think I'll do that as well. Will have to find some nice halal Eid nasheeds too!

Comment

ah :( the good old days...

My parents used to bring eid colouring books for us 2 days before eid, and we starting colouring and sticking them on the wall, compete who would do the best colouring !! then my mum will show off our colouring to our guests who pop over the morning... looord how excited that used to make us !!

they used to ask us what we would like for gifts... I used to love cooking toys lol then when I grew up I couldn't hate anything more than cooking lol ... and they used to give us money on top...

in the mornings, we would go to the eid prayer land (just simple sand no prayer mats, which we thought was a play ground !!) we used to have an open door policy between us and our neighbours, and we'd be running up and down the flats and playing while our parents do their things <<< that was very special to us because it would never be allowed if it wasn't eid
        we used to prepare eid quiz and get prizes for them (but that's when we got a bit older like 6 - 9 years old

then in the afternoon we'll go to theme parks or somewhere with our other families

Sorry I know its irrelevant to your children (3 and 1)
        Last edited by malleat1; 13-06-17, 02:41 PM.
        * typing from my phone, excuse the mess

Comment

Originally posted by malleat1 View Post
          ah :( the good old days...

My parents used to bring eid colouring books for us 2 days before eid, and we starting colouring and sticking them on the wall, compete who would do the best colouring !! then my mum will show off our colouring to our guests who pop over the morning... looord how excited that used to make us !!

they used to ask us what we would like for gifts... I used to love cooking toys lol then when I grew up I couldn't hate anything more than cooking lol ... and they used to give us money on top...

in the mornings we used to have an open door policy between us and our neighbours, and we'd be running up and down the flats and playing while our parents do their things <<< that was very special to us because it would never be allowed if it wasn't eid
          we used to prepare eid quiz and get prizes for them (but that's when we got a bit older like 6 - 9 years old

then in the afternoon we'll go to theme parks or somewhere with our other families

Sorry I know its irrelevant to your children (3 and 1)
          Wow your Eid as a child sounds amazing!!!

I've actually ordered my daughter some Eid colouring books and was going to save them for Eid morning (when I am rushing and need a bit of peace!) but your idea sounds great so I think I'll give my daughter hers before Eid Insha Allah

lol my 3 year old loves her wooden kitchen & cooking toys let's hope she enjoys cooking when she's older!! She has asked for a scooter this year

She keeps waking up every morning asking 'it it Eid yet' so I'm looking forward to finally saying YES and seeing her excitement Insha Allah.

Comment

Assalamu alaykum

i don't have any kids of my own but to give advice it doesn't take one to have been there and done that, someone asked imaam abu hanifa is the taste of animal droppings sweet or sour he replied to them its sweet when its fresh and sour when its old the man asked how do you know? imaam abu hanifa said that flies sit on sweet things and when the droppings are fresh they are on it but when it gets old they fly away to find something new.

so in a similar situation i would like to say i have no kids of my own nor am i married however by observation i see that kids want nothing but the attention and love of their parents and please expect the kids to mess about if they dont mess about then who will? ground 22 year olds like me or the older gen? so be open with how you treat them and don't just throw gifts at a child thats a bad habit build their tarbiyat up and make it strong from young. take the kids to a park and dedicate your day to them, we have a usool in our household and i'll share it if it benefits you, my mother has always said that 2 things make a child into a good child love and discipline not gifts and riches throwing these things will ruin the child and allah not bring that day on anyone, in this world we lack love and its very easy to just throw things hoping it will fix the issue for the person however the fix is actually love you see street dogs that are fed out of sympathy everyone throws something to them but no one can love that dog or rather no one wants to so the key to good kids is discipline and love.i say the best thing you can do for you kids us to spend time and dedicate the whole day to them mess about with tme keep them occupied because kids have a short attention span and will get bored really quickly, so maybe take em to park for an hour take them on a drive show them nature kuz seeing nature ppl are amazed at the creation of allah (being in london that might be hard but up north its easy haha) don't limit it to one thing for an hour take them about to a park when they seem bored get them an ice cream if they like something like that then take them to a farm or something, might also be worth taking them to other family houses so they can interact with other kids.

i used to when i was a student take out kids both belonging to family and neighbours and we'd go parks in a large crowd (teens and kids mixed) take them to a meal then play a game of football or something, indoor ballrooms etc fun times i wish i was free to spend time with kids now too haha

sorry for the terrible sentence structure im soo sleepy right now hahah and keep me in your duas IA

Comment

Originally posted by babadods View Post
              i don't have any kids of my own but to give advice it doesn't take one to have been there and done that, someone asked imaam abu hanifa is the taste of animal droppings sweet or sour he replied to them its sweet when its fresh and sour when its old the man asked how do you know? imaam abu hanifa said that flies sit on sweet things and when the droppings are fresh they are on it but when it gets old they fly away to find something new.

so in a similar situation i would like to say i have no kids of my own nor am i married however by observation i see that kids want nothing but the attention and love of their parents and please expect the kids to mess about if they dont mess about then who will? ground 22 year olds like me or the older gen? so be open with how you treat them and don't just throw gifts at a child thats a bad habit build their tarbiyat up and make it strong from young. take the kids to a park and dedicate your day to them, we have a usool in our household and i'll share it if it benefits you, my mother has always said that 2 things make a child into a good child love and discipline not gifts and riches throwing these things will ruin the child and allah not bring that day on anyone, in this world we lack love and its very easy to just throw things hoping it will fix the issue for the person however the fix is actually love you see street dogs that are fed out of sympathy everyone throws something to them but no one can love that dog or rather no one wants to so the key to good kids is discipline and love.i say the best thing you can do for you kids us to spend time and dedicate the whole day to them mess about with tme keep them occupied because kids have a short attention span and will get bored really quickly, so maybe take em to park for an hour take them on a drive show them nature kuz seeing nature ppl are amazed at the creation of allah (being in london that might be hard but up north its easy haha) don't limit it to one thing for an hour take them about to a park when they seem bored get them an ice cream if they like something like that then take them to a farm or something, might also be worth taking them to other family houses so they can interact with other kids.

i used to when i was a student take out kids both belonging to family and neighbours and we'd go parks in a large crowd (teens and kids mixed) take them to a meal then play a game of football or something, indoor ballrooms etc fun times i wish i was free to spend time with kids now too haha

sorry for the terrible sentence structure im soo sleepy right now hahah and keep me in your duas IA
              Jazakallah khayr

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, ie showering a child with love and time & not throwing gifts at them, it's important to make our children love Eid just as much as non Muslim children love their festivals. I spend a lot of time with my children on a day to day basis alhumdulillah and to make it special for them i do like to buy gifts on Eid because I tend not to spoil them too much in the year. My daughter has been wanting some things for ages and like a year ago I would have just purchased without hesitation (bad mistake I don't do this anymore) but this year she knows she has to wait for Eid for it. Although my daughter is only 3 she is really excited for Eid and she's still small so presents will excite her

I definitely do agree with you though. Growing up I had the complete opposite of what your family has, my parents would literally try and buy us lol we had the best of everything but there was no real love in the house. There's no way I will follow my parents example

I may visit the farm on the second day of Eid Insha Allah, can't go wrong with a little farm visit!

Comment

Very random really..

but one thing we like to do is drive for a couple of hours and Enjoy food in a cool breeze at the lake.

The Winters here are brutal -20c - -45c so we try to enjoy the summer time as much as possible.

Speaking of Eid, Should one pray where there is the most people praying? is that required?

we have a few prayer places here, but I refuse to go to the main praying place because after Salah, the Women take off their hijab and start beautifying themselves...

Always makes me wonder if its ignorance or sheer stupidity.
                Stop being apologetic to Kuffars!

If I don't engage with you or reply to any of your question, it's likely because I find you racist and a total waste of time.

Comment

That sounds nice, food by the lake.

Irs a sunnah to pray in an outdoor area, which would facilitate a larger amount of mussalees but I've not heard anything specific about one praying where there is the most amount of people

Not surprised about women beautifying themselves after salaah. I once did Eid in madeenah and I was horrified at how some of the women behaved and let's not forget, this was in the prophets mosque, peace be upon him

but I guess we all have our struggles, may Allah guide us all

Comment

Many of my friends are doing the Ramadan calendar where they have 30 little envelop set up in their house. Each day kids get to open an envelop which contains candy/tiny toys for little kid and maybe Islamic quote for bigger kids who can read. I remember when I was a kid, the dressing up and food was enough to excite me :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                      they have 30 little envelop set up in their house. Each day kids get to open an envelop
                      this is very interesting idea that teaches the discipline and resistance of temptations to open the whole lot in one go :rofl1:
                      Me likes.
                      * typing from my phone, excuse the mess

Comment

My nieces have this chart where they draw a smiley face whenever they successfully fast each day. Also family members promise them material gifts for Eid if they hit the goal. They're excited for it and I tend to use negative motivation to get them to wake up lol. Like saying "just carry on sleeping, one sad face in the chart is alright" etc and they hate me for it :rotfl:
                        ┳┻|
                        ┻┳|•.•) Hello, Assalamu Alaikum! Check out this topic! #makethechanges
                        ┳┻|⊂ノ
                        ┻┳|
                        :banbear:http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...adan-Authentic:hidban:

Comment

Assalamu alaykum

Wrapped up gifts for the kids.
                          Money in envelopes for the older kids.
                          Money in envelopes for elders as well.
                          No one gives me money in envelopes anymore:(
                          I joked about this one time and now my youngest brother always gives me money in an envelope:)
                          Take them out for 'Eid salah and buy balloons.
                          They get to meet my friends kids as well.
                          We hire out bouncy castles, them fat sumo suits for wrestling, face paints, etc

They get to have fun and we get to see our relatives and friends, as well as eat good food without having to entertain the kids much cause the teenagers are with them.

In the evenings, me and my immediate family go out to a restaurant for food, or we'll drive upto to our place in Bournemouth and go to the beach there for a picnic.
                          Its usually quiet and empty.

This isn't every 'Eid btw, some 'eids, I'll make plans with my friends for the evenings.
                          This is when the ladies of the family get together and do whatever ladies do when they get together.
                          There is rest only in the aakhira.
                          Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
                          and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
                          then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
                          That's right, a nude dog.
                          The Deepweb is disgusting.
                          - Unknown -

Links
                          The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
                          Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Comment

Originally posted by -Jibril- View Post
                            Wrapped up gifts for the kids.
                            Money in envelopes for the older kids.
                            Money in envelopes for elders as well.
                            No one gives me money in envelopes anymore:(
                            I joked about this one time and now my youngest brother always gives me money in an envelope:)
                            Take them out for 'Eid salah and buy balloons.
                            They get to meet my friends kids as well.
                            We hire out bouncy castles, them fat sumo suits for wrestling, face paints, etc

They get to have fun and we get to see our relatives and friends, as well as eat good food without having to entertain the kids much cause the teenagers are with them.

In the evenings, me and my immediate family go out to a restaurant for food, or we'll drive upto to our place in Bournemouth and go to the beach there for a picnic.
                            Its usually quiet and empty.

This isn't every 'Eid btw, some 'eids, I'll make plans with my friends for the evenings.
                            This is when the ladies of the family get together and do whatever ladies do when they get together.
                            Sounds great especially the picnic by the beach

I need to buy some Eid balloons. But I think I'll wait till like a day before because my daughter has already found her Eid presents and has opened the neighbours Eid chocolate box :|

Comment

This past year I have been practising minimalism I've given away a lot of mine & my children's possessions and so for Eid I was kind of stuck as to what gifts to get. I have brought my daughter a scooter as she wanted one, & the Migo and Ali book and I've decided that for both my children I will plant one olive tree Feesabilillah. I will have their names on the plaque and a certificate will also come through the post. I hope to carry this on each year & document the certificates in a file then Insha Allah when they are older they can continue with it.

Thought I'd share in case some of you were stuck for Eid gifts :)

Comment

Working...
                              X