Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make Eid special for your children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^that sounds really lovely sister mashaAllah.

I haven't read most other replies but for me I think Eid is special if there's good company. Back when I was a school girl, I remember finding Eid quite boring sometimes. I liked to sleep in on days that I wasn't in school but some Eids my parents made me wake up early to go to mosque, they'd insist I'd get all dressed up even if no one was coming and they'd get excited whilst me and didi would be a bit bored. It was only exciting for us if we had guests round or if we went to visit relatives or family friends. It would be a nice get together with a family who have kids our age who we could play or chat to, aunty would serve some great food and usually at the end of the evening would give me a tenner then my mum would say "nehi nehi we can't accept this" and aunty would say "please take it" and I'd stand in the middle wondering who to listen to lol. Either that or their family would come to our house and mum would make great food and give their kids a cash gift that their mum will try and refuse lol.

Now we've grown up we've accepted that most of Eid is uneventful. It's in the evening when people come round that it becomes a bit lively even if those people are just my siblings (cos during the day my brother often goes to work, sometimes didi does as well), but my dad still goes to the mosque in the morning and fills us in on who he met there and how they're getting on. Even that has changed though cos he doesn't recognise most of the people there (a few of his friends have died and he doesn't know most of the younger generation). So it's low key, but it's the great food and good company that makes it good and now sometimes if I'm well enough, I try to make a point of wearing my best clothes regardless of whether anyone is coming round or not.

I'm thinking of buying a box of mangoes for Eid because they're a lot expensive this year so that put my parents off from getting them even though they like them and it'll be a nice treat.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
      ^that sounds really lovely sister mashaAllah.

I haven't read most other replies but for me I think Eid is special if there's good company. Back when I was a school girl, I remember finding Eid quite boring sometimes. I liked to sleep in on days that I wasn't in school but some Eids my parents made me wake up early to go to mosque, they'd insist I'd get all dressed up even if no one was coming and they'd get excited whilst me and didi would be a bit bored. It was only exciting for us if we had guests round or if we went to visit relatives or family friends. It would be a nice get together with a family who have kids our age who we could play or chat to, aunty would serve some great food and usually at the end of the evening would give me a tenner then my mum would say "nehi nehi we can't accept this" and aunty would say "please take it" and I'd stand in the middle wondering who to listen to lol. Either that or their family would come to our house and mum would make great food and give their kids a cash gift that their mum will try and refuse lol.

Now we've grown up we've accepted that most of Eid is uneventful. It's in the evening when people come round that it becomes a bit lively even if those people are just my siblings (cos during the day my brother often goes to work, sometimes didi does as well), but my dad still goes to the mosque in the morning and fills us in on who he met there and how they're getting on. Even that has changed though cos he doesn't recognise most of the people there (a few of his friends have died and he doesn't know most of the younger generation). So it's low key, but it's the great food and good company that makes it good and now sometimes if I'm well enough, I try to make a point of wearing my best clothes regardless of whether anyone is coming round or not.

I'm thinking of buying a box of mangoes for Eid because they're a lot expensive this year so that put my parents off from getting them even though they like them and it'll be a nice treat.
      Aww mangoes will be a lovely treat on Eid Insha allah. Yes you’re right it’s the company which makes Eid special. I usually send my children to their dad for Eid as he has a massive family and it’s sooo much fun, rather than them being stuck with boring old me lol
      https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

just spend time with them, give them gifts and money, they lurve it but hen we were kids eid was much better because we had loads of cousins together

Comment

FYI my dad couldn't find fresh mangoes in any of the local shops yesterday. I guess the season has just ended. He actually bought tinned mangoes which is not what I had in mind but my mum said it's the next best thing and she plans to make chaat with it.

Actually although me and mum dressed up a bit for today, they're planning on having a barbeque tomorrow at my brother's house and as you know- the real celebration is when everyone gets together.

Comment

Assalamu alaikum. As referring to your question: "How to make Eid special for children"
            Here are some halal and easy tips on how to make it special for them:

1. Put up colourful decorations that are both appropriate and kid-friendly. Maybe try banners or balloons that will really brighten up the mood, or colours they like!

2. You can make snacks for the children, maybe treats or foods that they prefer. If your a muslim, I suggest making them halal.

3. Throw an Eid party! Children love parties, as far as I know. Maybe play fun games with them, such as: Musical chairs, Musical statues, or anything else you have in mind. For a bonus, add prizes for the child who wins each round!

4. Attend Eid prayer. Eid prayer is one of the important events to attend!

5. Dress up! Get the children to love Eid by dressing them up!

These were some suggestions, but you can do much more than just this!

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
              FYI my dad couldn't find fresh mangoes in any of the local shops yesterday. I guess the season has just ended. He actually bought tinned mangoes which is not what I had in mind but my mum said it's the next best thing and she plans to make chaat with it.

Actually although me and mum dressed up a bit for today, they're planning on having a barbeque tomorrow at my brother's house and as you know- the real celebration is when everyone gets together.
              They are still selling mangoes in our area but the prices are still quite high. Some are around £18 pound for 2 boxes. I remember we could get 3 small boxes for around £10 but now they 2 small boxes are £12.

I do hope you get some inshaAllah.

Comment

Alhamdullilah my dad managed to find mangoes. It cost £11 for a box of 7 but we knew the price would be high. Apparently there was a bad season for mangoes and a lot of the crop was damaged which was why it was difficult to ensure a decent supply and that's why the price went up. I'm glad we were able to get them though as everyone enjoyed them.

I know how much my parents like mangoes but were also reluctant to get them cos of the price so I thought it's an ideal thing to buy as an Eid treat. Most years I don't even know what to buy for anyone but this went down really well.

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post

They are still selling mangoes in our area but the prices are still quite high. Some are around £18 pound for 2 boxes. I remember we could get 3 small boxes for around £10 but now they 2 small boxes are £12.

I do hope you get some inshaAllah.

Comment

Working...
                X