Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is homeschooling hard?

Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Tell me all you know about homeschooling!
    https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Re: Is homeschooling hard?

Salaam
    A close friend attempted to homeschool but sadly when the children were tested they did not achieve the requirements regarding their age and by government law all children must reach a certain stage which is putting many schools under pressure and she couldn't cope so was forced to place them in to school.. That's the only case I know of and I remember she would teach them from 11pm to around 4pm including a lot of traveling.

Their doing great in school Mashallah.
    I love you, cherish you and worship you,
    Guide me on your path to your janna,
    Unite me beside you My King and all mighty,

:love:Allah:love:

Comment

Wa aleikum Salam,
      We are a homeschooling family and have homeschooled in three different continents, Asia, Europe and now North America.Our kids have never attended school alhamdulillah. If you want the simple answer homeschooling is hard, but so isn't parenting if you are doing it right. It does require a lot of effort on our part but it has been extremely rewarding. We are able to enhance our childrens strengths, focus on their weaknesses, encourage their passions, and provide a sound islamic education. It has been a huge blessing and even on the hard days I could not imagine it any other way. It is a full time job, because even once 'schoolwork' is done, the children continue learning in their own free time, from listening to lectures (that is one of their pastimes), reading books, learning new skills. It does not end and that is the beauty of homeschooling, it is a lifestyle of learning. The world is your classroom, it has no boundaries. Yesterday i gave my son a book series to start, 'the chronicles on narnia'. He picked up the first book in the collection and was done in a day, but about halfway through it he came across a poem in the book, and stopped to come over to me to discuss the meter and whether it was iambic or trochaic. Our goal for homeschooling our children was not merely to get them ahead of the pack (which we have succeeded in) but to give them a passion for learning that would see them flourish into independent learners. Likewise the freedom you have in curriculum really allows for so much growth and development, There are so many resources you can use that they are never exposed to in a school setting. Our kids take part in physical sports, nationwide competitions, they memorize quran daily, they read and write well above their level. They take part in workshops, do online courses in things like programming, video editing, media prodution etc. They interact with kids on a frequent basis, we make sure to invite people over weekly, they also take part in group sports and frequently interact with kids at the masjid.
      and lastly yes it can be expensive, but it does not have to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
        Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Tell me all you know about homeschooling!
        :wswrwb:

Yes homeschooling is hard, but very rewarding. There are quite a few homeschooling networks out there, some Muslim so look into it further
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by ummsafi View Post
          Wa aleikum Salam,
          We are a homeschooling family and have homeschooled in three different continents, Asia, Europe and now North America.Our kids have never attended school alhamdulillah. If you want the simple answer homeschooling is hard, but so isn't parenting if you are doing it right. It does require a lot of effort on our part but it has been extremely rewarding. We are able to enhance our childrens strengths, focus on their weaknesses, encourage their passions, and provide a sound islamic education. It has been a huge blessing and even on the hard days I could not imagine it any other way. It is a full time job, because even once 'schoolwork' is done, the children continue learning in their own free time, from listening to lectures (that is one of their pastimes), reading books, learning new skills. It does not end and that is the beauty of homeschooling, it is a lifestyle of learning. The world is your classroom, it has no boundaries. Yesterday i gave my son a book series to start, 'the chronicles on narnia'. He picked up the first book in the collection and was done in a day, but about halfway through it he came across a poem in the book, and stopped to come over to me to discuss the meter and whether it was iambic or trochaic. Our goal for homeschooling our children was not merely to get them ahead of the pack (which we have succeeded in) but to give them a passion for learning that would see them flourish into independent learners. Likewise the freedom you have in curriculum really allows for so much growth and development, There are so many resources you can use that they are never exposed to in a school setting. Our kids take part in physical sports, nationwide competitions, they memorize quran daily, they read and write well above their level. They take part in workshops, do online courses in things like programming, video editing, media prodution etc. They interact with kids on a frequent basis, we make sure to invite people over weekly, they also take part in group sports and frequently interact with kids at the masjid.
          Wow mashallah sounds great! Thank you for your input, Insha Allah I can be as successful as you if I take this route

Jazakallah for the replies, I will definitely be looking into this further

Comment

When can 1 or should 1 start homeschooling?
            Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Educating your child begins from birth so it's never really to early. Obviously you wouldn't have a sit down lesson with a one year old lol but nursery in the UK starts from 3 with school starting at 5 so I would start between then.

Comment

Wa aleikum Salam,
                MashaAllah tabarakAllah, that is awesome.

Comment

keystone school
                  And k12 is another good one if you are in US

I was home schooled for a while.
                  Last edited by Sahar.; 12-04-16, 04:28 AM.

Comment

I praise parents who dedicate their kids to become good muslims/muslimas.
                    Its like headstart programme.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYmGVs5KPXA
                    Alhamdulillah!

Comment

I don't know, but if you are considering this, look into "Kumon" for mathematics. It requires minimal input from yourself and your children can get years ahead of the school syllabus. They also do English, but I don't have experience of it so I don't know if it mirrors the school syllabus or how good it is.

Comment

For homeschooling, you will need contents. Among others, these may be in the form of books, teaching and learning materials, videos and digital resources which are curriculum-compliant to your child's age. It's a challenge these days to get get good contents, especially for Islamic education.

Comment

It's after to you. If you take this as a hard work than it is hard. But it is not so hard.

Comment

Wa aleikum Salam,

Jazakallahu khair for sharing your experiences sister. I don't know anyone that homeschooled so the whole process is a bit of a blur to me, but it's something I'm interested in exploring in the future inshAllah.

Comment

Best send them to a state school. The education there is far far better than homeschooling by unqualified teacher

My neighbours' children were homeschooled. They're all religious but big headed ignoramouses

Comment

Working...
                              X