X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zul_Qarnain
    replied
    Re: Is homeschooling hard?

I praise parents who dedicate their kids to become good muslims/muslimas.
    Its like headstart programme.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYmGVs5KPXA
    Alhamdulillah!

Leave a comment:

• Sahar.
    replied

keystone school
    And k12 is another good one if you are in US

I was home schooled for a while.
    Last edited by Sahar.; 12-04-16, 05:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MuslimBro17
    replied

Originally posted by ummsafi View Post
    Wa aleikum Salam,
    We are a homeschooling family and have homeschooled in three different continents, Asia, Europe and now North America.Our kids have never attended school alhamdulillah. If you want the simple answer homeschooling is hard, but so isn't parenting if you are doing it right. It does require a lot of effort on our part but it has been extremely rewarding. We are able to enhance our childrens strengths, focus on their weaknesses, encourage their passions, and provide a sound islamic education. It has been a huge blessing and even on the hard days I could not imagine it any other way. It is a full time job, because even once 'schoolwork' is done, the children continue learning in their own free time, from listening to lectures (that is one of their pastimes), reading books, learning new skills. It does not end and that is the beauty of homeschooling, it is a lifestyle of learning. The world is your classroom, it has no boundaries. Yesterday i gave my son a book series to start, 'the chronicles on narnia'. He picked up the first book in the collection and was done in a day, but about halfway through it he came across a poem in the book, and stopped to come over to me to discuss the meter and whether it was iambic or trochaic. Our goal for homeschooling our children was not merely to get them ahead of the pack (which we have succeeded in) but to give them a passion for learning that would see them flourish into independent learners. Likewise the freedom you have in curriculum really allows for so much growth and development, There are so many resources you can use that they are never exposed to in a school setting. Our kids take part in physical sports, nationwide competitions, they memorize quran daily, they read and write well above their level. They take part in workshops, do online courses in things like programming, video editing, media prodution etc. They interact with kids on a frequent basis, we make sure to invite people over weekly, they also take part in group sports and frequently interact with kids at the masjid.
    and lastly yes it can be expensive, but it does not have to be that way.
    MashaAllah tabarakAllah, that is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied

Educating your child begins from birth so it's never really to early. Obviously you wouldn't have a sit down lesson with a one year old lol but nursery in the UK starts from 3 with school starting at 5 so I would start between then.

Leave a comment:

• InTheBegining
    replied

When can 1 or should 1 start homeschooling?

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    replied

Originally posted by ummsafi View Post
    Wa aleikum Salam,
    We are a homeschooling family and have homeschooled in three different continents, Asia, Europe and now North America.Our kids have never attended school alhamdulillah. If you want the simple answer homeschooling is hard, but so isn't parenting if you are doing it right. It does require a lot of effort on our part but it has been extremely rewarding. We are able to enhance our childrens strengths, focus on their weaknesses, encourage their passions, and provide a sound islamic education. It has been a huge blessing and even on the hard days I could not imagine it any other way. It is a full time job, because even once 'schoolwork' is done, the children continue learning in their own free time, from listening to lectures (that is one of their pastimes), reading books, learning new skills. It does not end and that is the beauty of homeschooling, it is a lifestyle of learning. The world is your classroom, it has no boundaries. Yesterday i gave my son a book series to start, 'the chronicles on narnia'. He picked up the first book in the collection and was done in a day, but about halfway through it he came across a poem in the book, and stopped to come over to me to discuss the meter and whether it was iambic or trochaic. Our goal for homeschooling our children was not merely to get them ahead of the pack (which we have succeeded in) but to give them a passion for learning that would see them flourish into independent learners. Likewise the freedom you have in curriculum really allows for so much growth and development, There are so many resources you can use that they are never exposed to in a school setting. Our kids take part in physical sports, nationwide competitions, they memorize quran daily, they read and write well above their level. They take part in workshops, do online courses in things like programming, video editing, media prodution etc. They interact with kids on a frequent basis, we make sure to invite people over weekly, they also take part in group sports and frequently interact with kids at the masjid.
    Wow mashallah sounds great! Thank you for your input, Insha Allah I can be as successful as you if I take this route

Jazakallah for the replies, I will definitely be looking into this further

Leave a comment:

• Gingerbeardman
    replied

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
    Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Tell me all you know about homeschooling!
    :wswrwb:

Yes homeschooling is hard, but very rewarding. There are quite a few homeschooling networks out there, some Muslim so look into it further

Leave a comment:

• ummsafi
    replied

Wa aleikum Salam,

Leave a comment:

• Fragile
    replied

Salaam
    A close friend attempted to homeschool but sadly when the children were tested they did not achieve the requirements regarding their age and by government law all children must reach a certain stage which is putting many schools under pressure and she couldn't cope so was forced to place them in to school.. That's the only case I know of and I remember she would teach them from 11pm to around 4pm including a lot of traveling.

Their doing great in school Mashallah.

Leave a comment:

• Layla_
    started a topic Is homeschooling hard?

Is homeschooling hard?

Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Tell me all you know about homeschooling!

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X