X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is homeschooling hard?

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
    Salam

Ok so I've been thinking about homeschooling for a while now as my eldest is approaching school age. State school for me is a big no no, would have liked to send to an Islamic school but I may potentially be a single mum and obv won't have the finances. Plus, a lot of Islamic school teachers are not qualified, so surely I can teach just as well as them?!

But, is it hard...obviously you need to spend time and money on homeschooling but can a single mum really do this with no other support? How long do you homeschool for anyway...what if my kids want to go to college / uni ?

Tell me all you know about homeschooling!
    Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Do what the mother of Imam ash-Shafii did.

Comment

:wswrwb:

I wish I was home schooled :/

Comment

Originally posted by ~Umar~ View Post
        :wswrwb:

I wish I was home schooled :/
        hmmmmmm

i know 2 fams that homeschooled their kids and they are the most lovely, respectful, intelligent kids you would meet. It could have done u good Umar, but looks like back to school it is.
        ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
        "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
        :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

Comment

Originally posted by AbdullahiG View Post
          Best send them to a state school. The education there is far far better than homeschooling by unqualified teacher

My neighbours' children were homeschooled. They're all religious but big headed ignoramouses
          Due to class ratios, the average state school kid gets 15 minutes of one-on-one time with their teacher in a week. That's just one example of how homeschooling trumps sending kids off to state schools. Any "unqualified" parent can do a much better job, if we are only factoring in time.

Homeschooling is less about "teaching" than it is about facilitating a child's learning.

Comment

This homeschooling thing IS HARD
            https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

I home educated all of my children, really loved the whole experience mashaAllah at primary level. The world is literally your classroom. We leant towards unschooling in that we didn't have a curriculum or set hours, just did bits and pieces as/when suited us. The children entered school just before GCSE stage (they wanted to, felt they needed more and to be honest I really didn't enjoy it at this stage. Two of them did GCSE's a few years early)

Anyway sister what are you finding hard? Do you have a good social network for both you and your child/ren? I find a lot of people new to home schooling burn themselves out as they are under the impression that you need to be replicating a school day in order for children to learn, which is not true at all.

Comment

This homeschooling thing IS HARD
                How is it going?

How do you teach your child?

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
                  How is it going?

How do you teach your child?
                  It's not going too well tbh. My eldest is still a pre schooler and I've got a younger baby as well so I'm finding it hard to manage my time. Right now I am teaching through play and trying to follow the Montessori method but I lack motivation.

I guess i better register for a school place from September!

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Fatimah View Post
                    I home educated all of my children, really loved the whole experience mashaAllah at primary level. The world is literally your classroom. We leant towards unschooling in that we didn't have a curriculum or set hours, just did bits and pieces as/when suited us. The children entered school just before GCSE stage (they wanted to, felt they needed more and to be honest I really didn't enjoy it at this stage. Two of them did GCSE's a few years early)

Anyway sister what are you finding hard? Do you have a good social network for both you and your child/ren? I find a lot of people new to home schooling burn themselves out as they are under the impression that you need to be replicating a school day in order for children to learn, which is not true at all.
                    Thanks for your reply sis.

In just finding it hard as I lack motivation. unschooling sounds great. I'm not trying to replicate a classroom as such, but would like to get ahead with Phoenics but I guess I'm a bit lazy, lol

Comment

It's not going too well tbh. My eldest is still a pre schooler and I've got a younger baby as well so I'm finding it hard to manage my time. Right now I am teaching through play and trying to follow the Montessori method but I lack motivation.

I guess i better register for a school place from September!
                      dont ... not yet keep going and fight on!
                      where are you from? i might know some families that can help in homeschooling etc
                      btw i helped homeschool my sister back when she needed it and im telling you its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.

Comment

Originally posted by babadods View Post
                        dont ... not yet keep going and fight on!
                        where are you from? i might know some families that can help in homeschooling etc
                        btw i helped homeschool my sister back when she needed it and im telling you its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.
                        I am from the UK, East Midlands. Yes it is great but I really am starting to think it's not for me. I've got another year of it to fully make up my mind as I've not registered my daughter for her reception place this sep

Comment

Just saw your daughter is still pre-school, you should be concentrating on having fun and lots of play :D Don't put any pressure on yourself, she isn't even school aged yet and yes if you decide that you feel it isn't for you then you can explore other options. After all of these years I now believe that home education isn't for everyone and not everyone is for home education lol.

its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.

I'm not really sure that the purpose of home education should be a child always being at home with no one seeing her? I have met a few families like this and their children ended up in the care system.

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Fatimah View Post
                            Just saw your daughter is still pre-school, you should be concentrating on having fun and lots of play :D Don't put any pressure on yourself, she isn't even school aged yet and yes if you decide that you feel it isn't for you then you can explore other options. After all of these years I now believe that home education isn't for everyone and not everyone is for home education lol.

its great alhamdulillah no one will see your child she'll always remain in at home with honour and her hijab always protected.

I'm not really sure that the purpose of home education should be a child always being at home with no one seeing her? I have met a few families like this and their children ended up in the care system.
                            You're right lol, I guess I'm just getting ahead of myself. I'm that pushy parent. I really need to relax and calm down! Lol

Comment

I am from the UK, East Midlands. Yes it is great but I really am starting to think it's not for me. I've got another year of it to fully make up my mind as I've not registered my daughter for her reception place this sep
                              Preschool is still young. I homeschooled mine during high school. I would suggest using a structured program, something that has your days planned out. I would have found it difficult if we did not have that structure, preplanned curriculum. Plus, with smaller children you really need to have one-on-one teaching time, whereas with older kids they can read and do a lot on their own. If it's really something you don't think you will be able to continue, I would go for the school route.

Comment

Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
                                Preschool is still young. I homeschooled mine during high school. I would suggest using a structured program, something that has your days planned out. I would have found it difficult if we did not have that structure, preplanned curriculum. Plus, with smaller children you really need to have one-on-one teaching time, whereas with older kids they can read and do a lot on their own. If it's really something you don't think you will be able to continue, I would go for the school route.
                                Jazakallah khayr, yes defo need a structure

Yes I don't think it's for me. I think maybe once the primary years are over I will consider it Insha Allah. Too bad I didn't apply for a space from September and everywhere is full :|

Comment

Working...
                                X