Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Islamic School, Public School, or Homeschool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JanetteeTurnerr
    replied
    School at home is a good option in times of coronavirus. I advise everyone who is distance learning website https://www.collegepaperworld.com/do-my-homework.html that will help with homework if you have any difficulties with distance learning.

Leave a comment:

• khiali
    replied
    Re: Islamic School, Public School, or Homeschool?

Aslaamu Alaykum

We are planning to relocate and looking for a decent city/area to live. Kids quality Islamic education is first priority. So far I have looked at following cities

1 - Walsall
    2 - Blackburn
    3 - Leicester
    4 - Leeds

I`ll be commuting on weekly basis for job from UK to Europe and it will take a bit of time for me to get a decent job in UK so I need to make sure that area is secure and my wife can easily go out in Hijaab without any fear. Home Schooling is not a good option for us as my wife have health issues. In`sha Allah, my wife also planning to take Quran Tajweed classes and learn Deen.

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ahmad

Leave a comment:

• mymoon
    replied

Assalamu alaikum... could you mention some of the few good islamic schools as per your knowledge where your reatives or friends are going in UK

Jazakallahu khairan

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

Originally posted by dua.javed View Post
    Jazakallah khair
    Wa iyyaka ukhti, no problem:up:

Leave a comment:

• dua.javed
    replied

Jazakallah khair

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

Originally posted by niqaabi_nusrat View Post
    Assalamu aleykum,

I do agree that Islamic schools are not always ideal, but alhamdulillah there are some good ones out there though you may have to search far and wide to find them. Ultimately we felt that a good Islamic school was the best environment for our kids, but struggled for years to find one with the right balance between Islamic and secular studies. Our boys now go to an Islamic boarding school - I was adamant that they must be brought up in a single gender shariah-compliant environment and with good round the clock supervision to ensure development of Muslim character and behaviour. They are fully immersed in Deen, able to dress as Muslims, surrounded by other Muslims, are able to fully practice our religion with have a huge emphasis on Islamic study in their daily lives. If no good Islamic schools are available, then yes, homeschooling is the next best answer, especially if the parents have the knowledge and time and can access all the material needed. There is no way that I would send my kids to a state secular school insha'Allah - too much freemixing, misbehaviour, bullying, bad morals being taught etc.
    Jzk for your reply sister. Sorry I didn't see it earlier, I totally forgot I made a thread about this lol.
    Islamic schools are a good thing for our kids, and ideally would be something I believe would truly help our kids.
    One of the reasons I mentioned homeschooling was because in many places in the west, including the big metropolitan cities in the country where I live, there are tons of Muslim kids but no
    super strong Islamic school. Our family had to relocate for that reason. It would be a dream to find a single-gender school like the one you mentioned. The school I went to was mixed, even in high school
    and you could imagine how awkward it must have been. I hope dearly insha allah that as Muslim communities raising kids in the west we can invest more into our Islamic schools and be self-sufficient academially as a
    demographic insha allah (of Muslims).

Originally posted by ashmeo View Post
    Jazakallah khair for all your efforts!
    Wa iyyaka brother, I didn't realize I had replies, I forgot to look back.

Feedback is welcomed anytime insha allah. I shall try to make a sequence thread insha allah if time permits.

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

Originally posted by Hataw View Post
    Jazakillah khairan for your input, sister. Really liked reading it and I have also thought a lot about homeschooling, how it would be like and such.

Just like you I've been to both public schools and Islamic schools, but never been home schooled. Growing up I've had to go back and forth between changing 6-7 schools because they weren't good.

Just like your experience with the Islamic school, many things were different from what was expected. The only good thing was the emphasis on the prayers, apart from that no other religious studies or anything alike. I had gone to 4 different Islamic schools and they all were pretty much the same. What I liked though from the Islamic schools was that I didn't feel much different as I felt in public schools because of the hijab and the religious beliefs. Everyone knew where I came from and there was no bullying in that regards.

In public schools, the teaching system was good, we learned a lot. But the problem was more like the kids and some teachers just because you have a different faith so the bullying was intense on that part. The other problem was the religious studies and some sex education classes we had. Changed between 3 public schools here too.

I've read a lot about homeschooling, both the negative parts and it's positive parts, and I have mentioned it to my parents to start homeschooling our little brother if it's possible. Because honestly, he learns a lot more at home than he does at school. Because we are so much older than him, we have lots of experience and help him a lot.
    Homeschooling isn't that much popular here in Sweden and there are quite some conditions set for it.
    Yes sis, I agree with a lot of what you said. In Muslim school we tend to feel less standing out, but then the cons can be kinda surprising.
    And public school has those things you mentioned, can be hard.
    Homeschooling is seen differently in different parts of the world. In America, China, Canada and I think UK it is getting increasingly common.
    It really depends on the society like you said. Insha allah though there are alternatives and things you can do to help your future children insha allah whichever school you enroll them in insha allah.

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
    ma sha Allah great post.

I really like/love the idea of being able to learn at home and study the deen independently, ma sha Allah the bit about home-schooling made me want to be 15 again so I could be home-schooled.

In high school, although I didn't notice it at the time - it was a really unIslamic environment. Young kids doing zina, gossip, bullying, islamophobia/racism, learned behaviour that stay with you even after you leave school.
    Yeah sis, homeschool is really good:up:
    Thank you for the reply, sorry I didn't reply earlier.
    If I have any kids insha allah I think I'd homeschool them.

In America homeschooling mainly began because many religious Christian and Jewish families wanted to raise their children with not only a strong academic background, but a good religious background where they can think for themselves. That's how it evolved and I believe the same has occurred for Canada, and the Uk. It's still uncommon for minorities like us to adopt the system but that's also changing.
    I met many lovely people who learned their entire time homeschooled from many backgrounds, Latino, African-American. It's something to consider insha allah, I highly recommend it. :up:
    Last edited by Figs; 11-11-15, 02:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LailaTheMuslim
    replied

ma sha Allah great post.

I really like/love the idea of being able to learn at home and study the deen independently, ma sha Allah the bit about home-schooling made me want to be 15 again so I could be home-schooled.

In high school, although I didn't notice it at the time - it was a really unIslamic environment. Young kids doing zina, gossip, bullying, islamophobia/racism, learned behaviour that stay with you even after you leave school.

Leave a comment:

• Hataw
    replied

Jazakillah khairan for your input, sister. Really liked reading it and I have also thought a lot about homeschooling, how it would be like and such.

Just like you I've been to both public schools and Islamic schools, but never been home schooled. Growing up I've had to go back and forth between changing 6-7 schools because they weren't good.

Just like your experience with the Islamic school, many things were different from what was expected. The only good thing was the emphasis on the prayers, apart from that no other religious studies or anything alike. I had gone to 4 different Islamic schools and they all were pretty much the same. What I liked though from the Islamic schools was that I didn't feel much different as I felt in public schools because of the hijab and the religious beliefs. Everyone knew where I came from and there was no bullying in that regards.

In public schools, the teaching system was good, we learned a lot. But the problem was more like the kids and some teachers just because you have a different faith so the bullying was intense on that part. The other problem was the religious studies and some sex education classes we had. Changed between 3 public schools here too.

I've read a lot about homeschooling, both the negative parts and it's positive parts, and I have mentioned it to my parents to start homeschooling our little brother if it's possible. Because honestly, he learns a lot more at home than he does at school. Because we are so much older than him, we have lots of experience and help him a lot.
    Homeschooling isn't that much popular here in Sweden and there are quite some conditions set for it.

Leave a comment:

• niqaabi_nusrat
    replied

Assalamu aleykum,

I do agree that Islamic schools are not always ideal, but alhamdulillah there are some good ones out there though you may have to search far and wide to find them. Ultimately we felt that a good Islamic school was the best environment for our kids, but struggled for years to find one with the right balance between Islamic and secular studies. Our boys now go to an Islamic boarding school - I was adamant that they must be brought up in a single gender shariah-compliant environment and with good round the clock supervision to ensure development of Muslim character and behaviour. They are fully immersed in Deen, able to dress as Muslims, surrounded by other Muslims, are able to fully practice our religion with have a huge emphasis on Islamic study in their daily lives. If no good Islamic schools are available, then yes, homeschooling is the next best answer, especially if the parents have the knowledge and time and can access all the material needed. There is no way that I would send my kids to a state secular school insha'Allah - too much freemixing, misbehaviour, bullying, bad morals being taught etc.

Leave a comment:

• Cptn._.Mario
    replied

Jazakallah khair for all your efforts!

Leave a comment:

• Oum Soumayyah
    replied

Originally posted by Figs View Post
    Allaahumma ameen brother.
    Anything for my fellow muslimeen.
    I just don't have much benefit to provide in terms of religious knowledge in this forum so collaborating in this small effort
    seemed like something good since I actually know a lot about this. I might make a sequence thread in the future about homeschooling in specific.

Lol, I really didn't even think of your blog when I wrote that, although I do love it!!!
    Your posts on the forum are plenty insightful, so I hope other brothers and sisters read them in the future.
    May Allah reward you sister, with the very best rewards fiddunyaa wal-Akhirah allaahumma ameen.
    Jazaki Allahu khayr sis!

Ameen to your du'a! May Allah grant you much much more: )

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

Originally posted by Ibn Taleb View Post
    Salaam

Masha Allah Tabark Allah .... great read , very beneficial and a wonderful post indeed!
    I thank you with jzeeel al shukr and [MENTION=130569]Oum Soumayyah[/MENTION]

May Allah Subhaana enter you and your families both into the High Firdaws ..
    Allaahumma ameen brother.
    Anything for my fellow muslimeen.
    I just don't have much benefit to provide in terms of religious knowledge in this forum so collaborating in this small effort
    seemed like something good since I actually know a lot about this. I might make a sequence thread in the future about homeschooling in specific.

Originally posted by Oum Soumayyah View Post
    Ameen
    May Allah grant you Jannah as well.

Sis [MENTION=125704]Figs[/MENTION] It's funny you mentioned 'productive' because I'm actually planning on changing my blog name. I don't think the word productive really suits it.
    I far from being productive, but it's definitely a goal in shaa Allah.
    Lol, I really didn't even think of your blog when I wrote that, although I do love it!!!
    Your posts on the forum are plenty insightful, so I hope other brothers and sisters read them in the future.
    May Allah reward you sister, with the very best rewards fiddunyaa wal-Akhirah allaahumma ameen.

Leave a comment:

• Oum Soumayyah
    replied

Originally posted by Ibn Taleb View Post
    Salaam

Masha Allah Tabark Allah .... great read , very beneficial and a wonderful post indeed!
    I thank you with jzeeel al shukr and [MENTION=130569]Oum Soumayyah[/MENTION]

May Allah Subhaana enter you and your families both into the High Firdaws ..
    Ameen
    May Allah grant you Jannah as well.

Sis [MENTION=125704]Figs[/MENTION] It's funny you mentioned 'productive' because I'm actually planning on changing my blog name. I don't think the word productive really suits it.
    I far from being productive, but it's definitely a goal in shaa Allah.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X