Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general information

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general informati

asalaam alaikum, thanks for the reassurance, you made me feel a lot better!

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Re: Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general informati

MashaAllah @ Dhakiyya's advice! :) Just take it slowly when your little one comes along, don't let people rush you or tell you to formula feed when you are trying to breastfeed baby! Remember, the first few weeks are the hardest, but once you have overcome that hurdle, it is soo easy for you and baby and you will both enjoy every minute of it mashaallah :inlove:

With latching, my little girl used to open her mouth but not fully so she would not latch on properly (which is sore for mommy!) so I used to tickle the top of her lip which made her instinctively open her mouth wide and move it looking for the milk. So there are loads of things you can try inshaallah :) :up:
      What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
      Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
      Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
      but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
      but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
      We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
      freedom from slavery to other than the One,
      Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
      and a horizon that extends to the next life,
      Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general information

:salams

apparentyl new borns lose about 10% of their weight in the first week after birth.

If a baby is just over that 10% weight loss, say by 1 gram. what should be done?

Basically on Sunday midwife came and said he has lost 1gram more than the 10% and she said someone will come back in a few days and weigh him and his weight should pick up then.

Today (wednesday) health visitor came and she also commented that he is 1 gram underweight. But she didnt make a big issue about it. Then later on today, another midwife came and she goes that he's underweight and she's gonna come back tomorrow and the baby should be put onto bottled milk??

Then obviously she got worried and I did aswell. I was at work at the time so only got my info second hand.

Other thing is babys who are breastfed by this time should have yellow potty, but his is sometimes yellow and sometimes green. cause for concern??

Basically I want advice. Im thinking that we should tell the midwife we wanna wait a few more days and see if his weight picks up and his potty is always yellow. But the way my mum made out is that she was saying that if babys weight hasnt picked up by tomorrow then we have to bottle feed.

help!!

nb - please reply asap.
        Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Re: need advice on baby weightloss

as salaam alaikum akhi

Firstly.. is the baby settled or is he upset and crying alot .. sounding hungry? or as if he is uncomfortable?

Is your wife feeding him to a routine or is she feeding him when he seems hungry?

Have the midwives watched her breastfeed him?

How old is he now?

Is she giving him water in a bottle, using a dummy or only breastfeeding?

Does she feel like she has lots of milk?

My first thought is that she may be giving him too much of the first milk that comes in a feed and not enough of the calorie producing hindmilk. You do get green stools in breast fed babies when that happens. The foremilk quenches thirst, but he needs the hind milk to put weight on.

So let me know the answers to the questions and we can try and give you some thoughts insha'Allah to ask the midwives.
          .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”
          http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wa alaikum aslaam

bro its nothing to worry about inshallah.

Normally when mothers first start breastfeeding, the baby sometimes doesnt get enough, (this normally evens out as she continues to breastfeed the baby but in the meantime , sometimes the midwife will ask you to top up the breastmilk with bottle feeds, so they are getting sufficient milk?

Unfortunately breastfeeding can be difficult for some mothers initially and due to this the baby doesnt get enough at the start, tell her to stick to it and she will have to feed the baby VERY frequently initially, this will be quite hard on her so inshallah support her as much as you can (which im sure you are)

May Allah swt grant him good health ameen
            The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

Originally posted by carol_au View Post
              as salaam alaikum akhi

Firstly.. is the baby settled or is he upset and crying alot .. sounding hungry? or as if he is uncomfortable?

Is your wife feeding him to a routine or is she feeding him when he seems hungry?

How old is he now?

Does she feel like she has lots of milk?
              good points here by sis carol.

Must make sure baby is latched on properly, because it might look to you and her that the baby is feeding but because he isnt latched on properly,he is getting only a little?

Good idea to let the midwife see her breastfeed the baby , so she can give tips where necessary inshallah
              The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

doesnt sound too upset. cries, as they all do. But its not like he cries all the time.

she feeds him when he seems hungry. I think one mistak was letting him continue sleeping for 6 hours without a feed. **rubeyes**

yes, and they seem happy

How old is he now?
                12 days, mashaALLAH.

only breastfeeding
                Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

he goes to sleep whilst feeding. Should we tell the midwifes to wait a few days to see if he puts on some weight?

Also I just read an article on the net someplace and they say the 10% weight loss should be from the weight he had wen leaving hospital, and not his birthweight because he's already lost a bit in the 48 hours he spent in hospital?

Comment

Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
                    yes, and they seem happy
                    Well, good, if someone has observed the feeding and it looks good, then I wouldn't worry too much.

One gram is a very tiny amount of weight to be concerned about. That's only 1cc of water/milk, just to put it in perspective. And portable scales are not that precise.

So, one thing to keep in mind (this is from my wife) is to make sure that the mother is well hydrated and well fed herself. Remember that everything that will get to the baby has to be in her to begin with. :)

We remember what it was like with a newborn, you worry about every little thing. But don't worry too much, babies are actually a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

So I don't know how it is in your country, but is the baby seeing a pediatrician regularly?

Comment

doesnt sound too upset. cries, as they all do. But its not like he cries all the time.

Alhumdulillah.. that sounds like he is not feeling hungry and is a good sign.

she feeds him when he seems hungry. I think one mistak was letting him continue sleeping for 6 hours without a feed. **rubeyes**

No.. that isnt a mistake.. if he slept that long it sounds like he is getting the milk he needs or he wouldn't have slept that long.. specially as he doesn't sound like his hungry. If she is feeding him whenever he seems hungry she is stimulating her milk supply and also ensuring she is emptying the milk ..

How long does he feed for on each side?

yes, and they seem happy

Good.. the worst thing they can do at the moment is encourage her to bottle feed him .. it will interfere with her supply and it will also possibly cause a condition called "nipple confusion".. the way a baby breastfeeds is different to the way a baby bottle feeds.

If he is is not seeming hungry and if he is settled between feeds, not vomiting or seeming to pass lots of "wind".. he is getting hind milk. Does she alternate breasts so that she feeds from both sides.. but starts on the one she finished with the last time?

If they insist he needs supplements.. encourage your wife to express her milk and feed it to him, not use formula. This will continue to stimulate her milk supply. Also ask them if she can feed first then supplement.. so that he is still getting all the benefit of the breast milk

12 days, mashaALLAH.

he is not greatly underweight.. infact he is hardly underweight at all.. ask them to let you have a few more days.. things don't settle down really until around the third week. Mum and baby are adjusting to feeding .. obviously if the situation becomes dangerous and he loses too much weight you will need to consider the supplement feeding.. but again tell them you want her to express and use her own milk. He is not showing any signs of lactose intolerance (allergies to her milk) so there is no reason to introduce cows milk formula. It's better she doesn't if possible, plus he needs all the antibodies her breast milk can provide him with in these very early days insha'Allah.

only breastfeeding
                      Alhumdulillah.. ..

Okay.. so we have suggested .. there seems to be a good feeding relationship going on.. she may be still giving too much foremilk.. then again... does he ever cough when she starts to feed him? Does she feel the "tingling" that is called the "let down".. when the milk is really flowing soon after starting to feed?

Sorry about all the questions..
                      .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”

Comment

akhi.. I was a midwife and breastfeeding counsellor a few years ago.. this link is very good. This is the association I did my counselling with..

Insha'Allah it will also provide you with some very good reading and resources to talk to the midwives about

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html

Comment

:salams

apparentyl new borns lose about 10% of their weight in the first week after birth.

If a baby is just over that 10% weight loss, say by 1 gram. what should be done?

Basically on Sunday midwife came and said he has lost 1gram more than the 10% and she said someone will come back in a few days and weigh him and his weight should pick up then.

Today (wednesday) health visitor came and she also commented that he is 1 gram underweight. But she didnt make a big issue about it. Then later on today, another midwife came and she goes that he's underweight and she's gonna come back tomorrow and the baby should be put onto bottled milk??

Then obviously she got worried and I did aswell. I was at work at the time so only got my info second hand.

Other thing is babys who are breastfed by this time should have yellow potty, but his is sometimes yellow and sometimes green. cause for concern??

Basically I want advice. Im thinking that we should tell the midwife we wanna wait a few more days and see if his weight picks up and his potty is always yellow. But the way my mum made out is that she was saying that if babys weight hasnt picked up by tomorrow then we have to bottle feed.

help!!

nb - please reply asap.
                          it sounds like the baby isnt drinking enough of the hind milk, which is thicker and has all the calories, basically mum needs to make sure baby finishes on one breast before switiching to the next, ask to see a breastfeeding expert or call La Leche League, DONT give any bottles as this will cause mums milk to dry up, make sure the mother is eating well and getting plenty of rest to help with milk production, feed her good foods and give her raspberry leaf tea to drink and fenugrek as it helps with milk production, dont let the midwives scare you, if baby seems healthy and well.

green nappies shouldnt happen very often I think mum needs to see a breastfeeding expert and have them watch her feed baby inshaallah.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO:up:

Comment

akhi.. I was a midwife and breastfeeding counsellor a few years ago.. this link is very good. This is the association I did my counselling with..

Insha'Allah it will also provide you with some very good reading and resources to talk to the midwives about

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html
                            Looks like a great site.

Here is one my wife likes also: http://www.llli.org/nb.html

Also, most pediatricians here will give out a book called the "New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding" published by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Perhaps something similar is available where you are?

Comment

:jkk: for all the advice.

About this alternating breasts. No1 told us about this. She just feeds him from one side and then when he's done thats it :scratch:

whats that all about??

Comment

:jkk: for all the advice.

About this alternating breasts. No1 told us about this. She just feeds him from one side and then when he's done thats it :scratch:

whats that all about??
                                you have to feed the baby first from one side, then switch during each feed.
                                "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Working...
                                X