Islamic School and Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic School and Books

Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh. Hope everyone is doing well by the grace of Allah SWT, in the best of health and Imaan

What are your thoughts on this here? An Islamic school has decided to do a thorough scan of all the books in the library, and withdraw any which has questionable content, I.e. against our aqaid and moral values. While the intentions are noble and commendable, I have mixed feelings about this. Alhamdulillah, the Mufti tasked with this has labouriously read ALL the books, and identified themes that the school feels will corrupt their developing minds, such as sexuality, feminism(!), violence, rude language, kufr, etc. Some of those that have been removed are classics like Pride and Prejudice, Othello and Jack & the Beanstalk (stealing)! Is this really the best way to protect our children in their formative years? Remove the books, yet they still have access to all these themes on their gadgets. #confused

Seems like a responsible thing to do.

Comment

Seems reasonable but it also depends on their age too. As youngsters also need to be aware such content, themes and views exist and how to deal with it.

Comment

Walaykum salam wrwb,

It depends on the age of the kids. If they are in nursery, infants or juniors then I'd be okay with them removing certain books. I think for older children though, they should be taught about the existence of certain books but also taught in an Islamic context that certain content is not in keeping with our values, also not just books but they should be taught about certain media outlets such as themes in films and dramas and how certain storylines are used to encourage people to support lewdness and unIslamic behaviour. That should be aimed at secondary education. That way children have some exposure to that content but also learn about why Islamically we should steer clear of certain things. I think my first comeback ummah radio show was on how ideologies influence the media and the effect that has on us, but I don't know how to share the dropbox recording online.

I personally don't think Pride and Prejudice or Othello are that offensive though, although I haven't read the books I've only watched the dramas on tv. I think removing those books is overkill and unnecessary as at that age most kids aren't interested in the classics anyway and if they are, they could do a lot worse than reading those two.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X