Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Girl name meaning

Hello there,

I really hope this is the right forum topic. If not, please excuse me.

My husband and I are expecting a girl in January and we wanted to name her Kalila.
    Everytime I look up the meaning of the name, it says it's an arabic name and means beloved, darling, friend - no negative meanings.
    Now my husband told me that his aunt who is not arabic but studying Arabic said the name Kalila in arabic also means weak. We should spell it Khalila. Few weeks later now he tells me the spelling Khalila is also not right (apparently it means blunt) and we should spell it Khalilah.

I am a Muslim convert and not familiar with arabic writing and translation of names, but I find it odd that I can't find any negative meaning of the name online no matter how I spell it - with no h, one h or two h. My husband said those Internet sites that tell you the meaning of a name especially arabic can't be trusted.

So I would like to put this out here and ask for your opinion on what is the right meaning and spelling of K(h)alila(h). If there are native arabic speakers even better. I actually liked the spelling Kalila because we are living in Europe and it is just easier to write it and pronounce it if you spell it like that. But if it really means something negative than we need to rethink our choice.

I would really appreciate your help and opinions.

i personally dont like the name kalila or khalilah, how do you pronounce it? kaleelah or kalayla? either way it doesn't sound good. there are so many pretty muslim names. pick another.

Comment

Originally posted by Zida989 View Post
      Hello there,

My husband and I are expecting a girl in January and we wanted to name her Kalila.
      Everytime I look up the meaning of the name, it says it's an arabic name and means beloved, darling, friend - no negative meanings.
      Now my husband told me that his aunt who is not arabic but studying Arabic said the name Kalila in arabic also means weak. We should spell it Khalila. Few weeks later now he tells me the spelling Khalila is also not right (apparently it means blunt) and we should spell it Khalilah.

I am a Muslim convert and not familiar with arabic writing and translation of names, but I find it odd that I can't find any negative meaning of the name online no matter how I spell it - with no h, one h or two h. My husband said those Internet sites that tell you the meaning of a name especially arabic can't be trusted.

So I would like to put this out here and ask for your opinion on what is the right meaning and spelling of K(h)alila(h). If there are native arabic speakers even better. I actually liked the spelling Kalila because we are living in Europe and it is just easier to write it and pronounce it if you spell it like that. But if it really means something negative than we need to rethink our choice.

If you live in Western countries then try to use a name which is simple and easy enough for non-Muslims to pronounce. For example: Saba or Sana or Fatima or Saleha or Huda. I hope you get the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Zida989 View Post
        Hello there,

خ and ك are two letters in Arabic (Kha and Ka, respectively)

Khaleelah means a close or intimate friend.

Kaleelah (the feminine version of Kaleel) means: exhausted, tired, weary, weak, feeble (taken from the Hans Wehr dictionary - from Arabic to English).

I spelled it with a "ee" because there is a long "ee" sound in the name.

The tricky part is, even if you name her Khaleelah (with a kha خ), English speakers will pronounce it with a Ka, because they cannot articulate the Kha sound.

In any case, like suggested, you can pick a more common but simpler name. Maryam, Aishah, Safiyyah (Arabic of Sophia), Zaynab, Hafsah, etc. are all beautiful names.

Comment

The prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) is known as Khaleel of Allah. (Intimate friend)

Khaleelah is the female equivalent of the word so the word itself in that context has a very nice meaning. Alhamdulillah.

I don't know if the female form is used commonly in a different way to the meaning above, though. Some less than ideal translations for it in a modern context, it seems.

Ps. Non-Muslims pronounce the Kh as a regular k almost always. So she'll be called Kaleelah by most people.

PPS.

I should know all about that. My own name was unfortunately the cause of much laughter :[ growing up as a result of that mispronunciation (see username). There was one elderly teacher who used to pronounce it perfectly, though. I remember as a kid I was always impressed by that.
          LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
          -------------------------------------

​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

I would reiterate the advice of giving the child a name that is easy to say. My children say they will name their children Adam, Yasmeen, Ali, Safiyyah etc because their names are always mispronounced. I would definitely steer away from 'Kh' sounds OP.

Comment

If you're adamant on giving them a name with a 'Kh' sound, then you could also pick a nickname/middle name for them to use at school and work.

That's how I did it. However I grew up as a non-Muslim, so I'm not sure if having an English or bastardized Muslim name will effect their Imaan. It could potentially open the doors for them to entertain hypocrisy and split personalities.

Wa Allahu Alam
              Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 07-01-20, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Just name her Farah

Comment

according to my knowledge it doesn't have the best meaning.

I would recommend naming her something that will be easy for non Arabic speakers to pronounce, although they will probably butcher it anyway. My parents went with that method when naming me and people still mess it up. At the end of the day, as long as you and your husband can pronounce it, it doesn't really matter about other people.

Comment

Nvm
                    Last edited by Ya'sin; 09-01-20, 07:37 PM.
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

That sounds hard to pronounce.

Hasanah is good.
                      https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Working...
                      X