Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaning tips/advice from mothers who've been there

Posting on behalf of a sister:

Need to wean my daughter off breastfeeding, she takes water from a sippy cup but does not take milk, not even expressed milk, from the cup. She is 10 months old mashaAllah and even though I would love to continue nursing her, I am pregnant and it is getting difficult and very exhausting for me to keep up like this. She wakes up often during the night time and has become even more clingy of late, I have been trying different cups and bottles, different formula but she wants none of it. I have reached a point where I am thinking of going cold turkey but before I do that I would appreciate some advice from fellow mothers who have been through this. Jazaakalllah khair.
    sigpic

Originally posted by .Hajar. View Post

Need to wean my daughter off breastfeeding, she takes water from a sippy cup but does not take milk, not even expressed milk, from the cup. She is 10 months old mashaAllah and even though I would love to continue nursing her, I am pregnant and it is getting difficult and very exhausting for me to keep up like this. She wakes up often during the night time and has become even more clingy of late, I have been trying different cups and bottles, different formula but she wants none of it. I have reached a point where I am thinking of going cold turkey but before I do that I would appreciate some advice from fellow mothers who have been through this. Jazaakalllah khair.
    I bottle fed my child. Sorry, not much help there.

But at 10 months - your daughter should be eating solids too. I used to give my son, something fulfilling like baby biscuits mashed into milk before bed time and he slept well.

Maybe you will have to go cold-turkey ... if she is really stubborn.

Congrats on the good news though. It must be tiring, no wonder you're hardly around =)

Comment

• ummsayfullah
      ummsayfullah commented
      Editing a comment
      The post isn't about her..awk

Oh... lol

Well the advice still stands. (Apart from the not being online bit).

Comment

My daughter was 1 and a few months so I would give her either water or nesquick in her bottle whenever she wanted a feed at night time.

since the baby is still under 12 months you can't give her all of that...

the sister should use a bottle instead of sippy cup and keep on trying and make dua

She can also increase her food intake but not so much that baby gets constipated (happened to me)

ditch that sippy cup

also the husband or family member should help out at nighttime by comforting the crying baby and offering the bottle with milk or water
      They say you contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
      And they don't mind contradicting the Furqan

I contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
      For you have contradicted the one who came with the Qur'an

Comment

I know many sisters who were able to nurse the older child during the entire 9 months and even after new baby allahumma baarik lahum. But each person is different, some women can eat and drink a lot and have energy whilst others don't want to even look at food and that's how the nursing kid takes up all your remaining energy and you feel so sick Allahul mustaan it's very trying.

don't forget to make dua..i was able to wean within a week and may Allah reward my husband he pretty much handled her at night which I was always scared of doing myself but Allah made it easy. Allahumma baarik

They say you contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
        And they don't mind contradicting the Furqan

I contradicted the sayings of the shuyookh
        For you have contradicted the one who came with the Qur'an

Comment

Originally posted by .Hajar. View Post

It is entirely up to the sister as it is not recommended by professionals but you could try cows milk.

I was talking about this with a sister who went through a difficult time when she wanted to stop breastfeeding. She said she would start off breastfeeding as her baby fell asleep whilst still sucking she would put a milk bottle in the baby's mouth.

You have to be consistant though. The baby might refuse or stop sucking and cry but try and get the bottle in babies mouth once they are nodding off. That way the baby gets used to sucking a bottle.

At other times do not wait for the baby to want milk. Offer the bottle as much as you can. Just give it to baby to hold. At that age they might still put stuff in mouth so hope she puts bottle to mouth.

You just need lots of patience and keep trying the same method for a about a week. Don't give up easily or change from bottle to cup or different brands every other day.

Also at night let her sleep with dad and when its nearing feed time offer the bottle.

Have sabr inshaAllah you will succeed.

Comment

Got some good tips in here, hope it helps the sister.

:jkk:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

I bottle fed my child. Sorry, not much help there.

But at 10 months - your daughter should be eating solids too. I used to give my son, something fulfilling like baby biscuits mashed into milk before bed time and he slept well.

Maybe you will have to go cold-turkey ... if she is really stubborn.

Congrats on the good news though. It must be tiring, no wonder you're hardly around =)
              Thank you :) but this thread was meant for an anon sister.
              sigpic

Comment

• Indefinable
                Indefinable commented
                Editing a comment
                ....... :-|

Sexist thread.

Comment

Working...
              X