Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular curry spice is a brain booster

04 August 2006

Call it yellow ginger, haldi, turmeric or E100, the yellow root of Curcuma longa, a staple ingredient in curry, is turning out to be gratifyingly healthy. Now Tze-Pin Ng and colleagues at the National University of Singapore have discovered that curry eating seems to boost brain power in elderly people.

Curcumin, a constituent of turmeric, is an antioxidant, and reports have suggested that it inhibits the build-up of amyloid plaques in people with Alzheimer's. Ng's team looked at the curry-eating habits of 1010 Asian people unaffected by Alzheimer's and aged between 60 and 93, and compared their performance in a standard test of cognitive function, the Mini Mental State Examination. Those people who consumed curry "occasionally" (once or more in 6 months but less than once a month) and "often" (more than once a month) had better MMSE results than those who only ate curry "never or rarely" (American Journal of Epidemiology, DOI: 10.1093/aje/kwj267).

"What is remarkable is that apparently one needs only to consume curry once in a while for the better cognitive performance to be evidenced," says Ng, who says he wants to confirm the results, possibly in a controlled clinical trial comparing curcumin and a placebo.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...n-booster.html
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Re: Popular curry spice is a brain booster

Oh ghosh! a taste for curry could delay onset of senility

Thu 3 Aug 2006
    JOHN VON RADOWITZ

EATING curry may boost the brain and stave off Alzheimer's disease, according to the latest research.

Scientists looked at the curry consumption of more than a thousand Asian people aged between 60 and 93 who were unaffected by Alzheimer's.

Their thinking ability was compared using a standard test called the Mini Mental State Examination.

Participants who ate curry once or more in six months, or more than once a month, had better results than those who said they "never or rarely" ate it.

Dr Tze-Pin Ng, from the National University of Singapore who led the study, told New Scientist magazine: "What is remarkable is that apparently one needs only to consume curry once in a while for the better cogni- tive performance to be evidenced."

He suspects that curcumin, a constituent of the spice turmeric, is responsible for the effects.

Turmeric is ground from the root of the Curcuma longa plant, a member of the ginger family that grows wild in the Himalayas.

It is used in a plethora of Indian dishes, and also as a colouring agent in western foods.

Curcumin is said to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties that are still being investigated.

Previous research has suggested that it inhibits the build-up of amyloid plaques - harmful protein deposits - in the brains of people with Alzheimer's.

Dr Ng now wants to confirm his findings with a controlled clinical trial which would compare the effects of curcumin and an inactive placebo.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/inte...?id=1123582006

Comment

Iggy Recipe Alert :D

My Paki boss turned me on to this.....

Shan spice boxes. Achar Pickle Mix and Chicken Tikka Mix.

Mix half of each package with 1 quart plain yoghurt.

Add 3-4 pounds chicken parts.

Marinate 2 days.

Grill.

Eat.

All my recipes are easy and healthy.

Please check previous threads for my "North Shore Tip Sammich" and "Tuna Sandwich" recipes...

Comment

no wonder pakistan & india have nukes , does iranians also eat curry ??

Comment

Very good, anti-inflammatory. Good for arthrhritis which I can't spell.
          Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Originally posted by marjan View Post
            Very good, anti-inflammatory. Good for arthrhritis which I can't spell.
            :scratch: ...eat more curry and you probably can :embar:

Comment

Do you think! You know, cider vinegar and honey is good for joint pain. But lo! Ye must stay away from oranges, rhubarb and overcooked spinach. Oxaylates which again I can't spell, cause arthriytis.
              Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Last time I checked, curry food and the like wasnt anything to encourage.. Diabetes and heart conditions are highest amongst the asian community

So basically, stay away from curries :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius for Peace View Post
                  Iggy Recipe Alert :D

My Paki boss turned me on to this.....

Shan spice boxes. Achar Pickle Mix and Chicken Tikka Mix.

Mix half of each package with 1 quart plain yoghurt.

Add 3-4 pounds chicken parts.

Marinate 2 days.

Grill.

Eat.

All my recipes are easy and healthy.

Please check previous threads for my "North Shore Tip Sammich" and "Tuna Sandwich" recipes...
                  gobi is missing from the list, lol.
                  There's nothing natural about natural disasters. Think about it...

Comment

Salam

Soo this is why all the Bengali's and Pakistani's in my year all got A's mashAllah.

Man is only someone had told me this before i could have eaten curry before my exams..lol

Sunrise:D
                    Bye bye :salams

Comment

curry is really good for ur digestive system as well!

so its like metaphorically speaking killing (or in reality cleaning) two birds with one stone (the two birds: the nervous systema nd the digestive system)!!
                      hmm

Comment

Working...
                      X