Invisibility Cloaks Possible, Study Says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisibility Cloaks Possible, Study Says

now if you ask "what is all this good for?" and "why even spend money for such stuff", then think about spies, your privacy and always remember the study is also financed by the pentagon. :confused:

Sean Markey
    for National Geographic News

May 25, 2006

Star Trek baddies.

But a paper in tomorrow's issue of the journal Science might. In it researchers lay out design specs for materials that they say will be able to bend electromagnetic radiation around space of any size and shape.

The translation for Star Trek fans: Invisibility shields may not be science fiction for much longer.

(Also see "Invisibility Shields Planned by Engineers"Theoretical ProofKnights and Wizardshttp://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nvisibile.html
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Re: Invisibility Cloaks Possible, Study Says

Scientists see light at the end of study on invisibility cloak

By Andrew Bridges
    Associated Press
    Published May 26, 2006

WASHINGTON -- The key to creating a Harry Potter-like invisibility cloak lies in manmade materials unlike any in nature or the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, say researchers who are laying out a blueprint for turning science fiction into reality.

And they say that, in theory, nothing's stopping them from making such a cloak.

Well, almost nothing. They still need to perfect the manufacture of those exotic materials with an ability to steer light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation around a cloaked object, rendering it invisible.

"It's theoretically possible to do all these Harry Potter things, but what's standing in the way is our engineering capabilities," said John Pendry, a physicist at the Imperial College London. Details of the study, which Pendry co-wrote, appear in Thursday's online edition of the journal Science.

The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency supported the research.

Scientists not involved in the work said it presents a solid case for making invisibility an attainable goal.

"This is very interesting science and a very interesting idea and it is supported on a great mathematical and physical basis," said Nader Engheta, a professor of electrical and systems engineering at the University of Pennsylvania. Engheta has done his own work on invisibility using novel materials called metamaterials.

Pendry and his co-authors also propose using metamaterials because they can be tuned to bend electromagnetic radiation--radio waves and visible light--in any direction.

A cloak made of those materials, with a structure designed down to the submicroscopic scale, would neither reflect light nor cast a shadow.

Instead, like a river streaming around a smooth boulder, light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation would strike the cloak and simply flow around it, continuing on as if it never bumped up against an obstacle. That would give an onlooker the apparent ability to peer right through the cloak, with everything tucked inside concealed from view.

Such a cloak does not exist, but early versions that could mask microwaves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation could be as close as 18 months away, Pendry said.

"We will have a cloak after not too long," he said, adding that "`shield' might be more appropriate" because it would be fairly thick.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ck=1&cset=true
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Comment

i cdnt red it all it gve me hed painz :eek3: bt avin a clk lak [email protected] vud b s0oo0o0 tik tik bo0o00oo0miiinnn maaan :D:D:D:D :hidban: @)

Comment

No way, dont believe it

Quite cool, quite cool indeed :p

Comment

Originally posted by Nawar
          No way, dont believe it
          I agree. I want to see a picture of it....

~Bub
          From the Many, One

Comment

Originally posted by BubbleGum
            I agree. I want to see a picture of it....

~Bub
            i am curious Bub...what would YOU do with an invisible cloak (like in harry potter)??

Comment

BubbleGum, I had an invisibility cloak. Here's a picture to prove it. I'm standing next to the tree.

Unfortunately, I put the cloak somewhere and now I can't seem to find it... :(
              Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Originally posted by Tahiyah
                i am curious Bub...what would YOU do with an invisible cloak (like in harry potter)??
                Me Personaly?

I don't think I'd have any use for a cloak of invisibility. All the hiding I need to do I do just fine without such.

~Bub
                From the Many, One

Comment

Originally posted by victor
                  BubbleGum, I had an invisibility cloak. Here's a picture to prove it. I'm standing next to the tree.

Unfortunately, I put the cloak somewhere and now I can't seem to find it... :(
                  Victor, that pic is so outdated, Model NCSX14, right? You can tell by the slight radial warp of the background leaves and the obvious polarization shift on the water surface. The newer DSX15's have a much lower polirization signature.

~Bub
                  From the Many, One

Comment

Victor, that pic is so outdated, Model NCSX14, right? You can tell by the slight radial warp of the background leaves and the obvious polarization shift on the water surface. The newer DSX15's have a much lower polirization signature.

~Bub
                    Oh, well. I guess I have to get one of those new ones then.
                    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Me Personaly?

I don't think I'd have any use for a cloak of invisibility. All the hiding I need to do I do just fine without such.

~Bub
                      i believe it

Comment

Please Read First: I Am Joking!!!

*Phew* , I thought this had something to do with Harry Potter :p

I hope there is such a thing (*Evil thought comes to mind*) :evilb:

[whilst editing]

Joke
                        Last edited by Arifa; 27-05-06, 06:55 PM.
                        Please join my facebook page:

> > > The Islamic Digest < < <

Comment

I think the next 20-30 years are going to be amazing. Our perception of what is "possible" will be turned upside down.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X