X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Is marijuana Haram?

Originally posted by pringles View Post
    asalamalakum brothers and sisters

i have tried to find the answer to my question, but couldnt find it. my question is if i smoke weed, little or large amount, when is the next time i can pray? are my prayers not accepted for 40 days?
    You wanna pray after smoking weed ... Hahah.. :up:
    The upper hand (the one that gives) is better than the lower hand (the one that takes).

Comment

Originally posted by pringles View Post
      asalamalakum brothers and sisters

i have tried to find the answer to my question, but couldnt find it. my question is if i smoke weed, little or large amount, when is the next time i can pray? are my prayers not accepted for 40 days?
      even if your dua isisnt accepted you still have to make salat.
      painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
        even if your dua isisnt accepted you still have to make salat.
        but with alcohol your dua and prayers arnt accepted for 40 days right? soo how long would weed be? and ya i still make salat, im just making sure you know

Comment

naccam it is haram!

Comment

it is just like khamr!

Comment

Think about it this way. It's not an intoxicant but it is a mind-altering substance which is no good. It is also non-toxic.

It makes sense that we shouldn't have it for leisurely consumption and that for that it should be haraam, however I think it would be very short-sighted to ban it entirely for everyone.

Think about this, you're suffering from a very painful illness and the doctors give you drugs to counter the symptoms. Pain killers, essentially. But these pain killers damage your organs over a long time and also have unpleasant side-effects, such as nausea and vomiting, anxiety, stuff like that, so you need more drugs to counter the side-effects of the first medicine, and maybe more to counter more side-effects or to make the two medicines compatible or stop them from reacting into a different more harmful substance. Every drug is different, and a lot of these pharmaceutical medicines are not good for you and can weaken you (permanently) over long periods of consumption, or even kill you. Most are exotic chemicals or chemicals that were at one point deadly and have been modified to be so-called 'safe'. They are chemicals that our bodies were never designed to handle.

Now, then you have cannabis. It is: a pain killer, an anti-emetic and increases appetite. These are the most obvious medicinal benefits, though there are more. But: It has so few unpleasant side-effects (if you count getting high as unpleasant) and it's not going to harm you so long as 1) it's not taken to excess and 2) you don't smoke or vaporise it. It's completely harmless when eaten and is less toxic than chocolate or table sugar. Our brains have receptors for cannabinoids. Our bodies were designed to cope with it, and cope with it well. It won't cause nausea, it is an anti-nausea and anti-vomit drug if not taken to excess. You're not going to need more drugs to counter-act its side effects.

I'm not advocating cannabis as a wonder-drug or that it's all okay. Although it's non-toxic, a big dose can really scare a person because of it's mind-altering effects, also if your mind is altered, how can you worship and how can you fully protect yourself against wiswas? Too much too often can cause mental health problems, a good reason why it shouldn't be used recreationally. But as a medicine to replace more harmful pharmaceutical drugs, I think it should be seriously considered for patients who are truly suffering and could benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ammarhaq View Post
                i never said hash is fine. u also soiund liek u know nothing about the subject. you just hear weed or hash u think drugs = bad.

no i dont smoke hash. hash and weed are very very different. hash ****s you up.

no i would not pray stoned. what kind of question is that? what the hell kind of person do u think i am? that offends me.
                I wanted to ask, i have smoked hashih, i try to repent and pray and ask for forgiveness but sometimes shaitaaan gets the better of me and then i have hashish, this makes me sad. However, i try to be positive and pray and ask for forgiveness, not thinking if my prays will be rewarded or not.. the question is that, when i have it, i then take a full shower as some of the scholars here in pakistan say that a shower is needed and we have to be sober.. So the question is, is that sufficient? or does hashish stay in your body for 40 days also? :S

Comment

Originally posted by ammarhaq View Post

as for praying while stoned- astagfurullah.

i dont pray while im stoned. in fact the last time i did smoke it was a small amount after isha. you do not feel it when u get up for fajr. is ti wrong for me to smoke this after isha? i have no more salah to do and the day is done.
                  AsSalamuAlaikum

I actually was trying to find out whether it's okay to Pray while stoned or smoked but sober enough to know what your saying. In the Quran, before Alcohol became forbidden, Allah (SWT) only forbid one to pray when drunk... Until one is sober enough to know what they are saying.

Allah then later forbids it completely. I believe Cannabis is haram due to it's affects in many aspects. However, I know one that wants to quite, but is not finding it so easy, he still wants to pray, but saying he don't feel comfortable. I couldn't give an answer, thought id do research.

Peace, Love and Blessings :)
                  Last edited by Jibrail3; 19-03-11, 11:34 PM.

Comment

yes its really harmful i would suggest that take Vaporizer instead of marijuana

Comment

I must tell you that Marijuana has some positive effects on a human being, but I believe it is haraam to let it all be about MJ waste your money, and be associated to people who may have bad intentions and to smoke every day , but Marijuana on the otherside can help you with some difficulties in life, it can work as a therapeutic substance and you can get things even in your mind when something troubles you from the past or... So i would say that Marijuana as a medicine is ok because it relieves pain physically but also mentally, but abusive use of it is far away from His will and to determine medical use it is only when there is a real need, no made up reasons to get high is accepted, you are not fooling anybody but yourself.

I have to ask how many of you members drink coffee or tea? they both are very intoxicant tea less and coffee more , has that ever crossed your mind ? stop drinking them if you really believe what you say yourself .... And stop the _useless_ arguementing, you should develop opinions that don't create tension between any human beings and study the subjects yourself before you arguement. Main reason why intoxicating youself is haraam is because of the behavior that it provokes...

Comment

Salam alaikum

In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent the Most Merciful.

I am rather surprised at how many people are passing off their own quick opinion as fact supported by the Qur'an. I am a revert for about a year now. Before that I smoked for about a year. To be honest, it chilled me out and made me less high strung from the stress of poverty and hard times. I also felt that it did improve my drawing and creativity. Unlike other drugs and alcohol, marijuana is a plant put on this earth by Allah subhana wa ta'ala. If you say that ingesting it causes any harm to body you are flat out lying, sorry. But before I get on to proving my point more I want to tell a little bit about myself.

When I reverted, I was at the lowest point of my life. But the lowness only really started when I began partaking in social drinking and taking other drugs before clubbing. I was never like this before. My husband and I (bf+gf at the time) were trying too much to be part of the people around us and allowed ourselves to be dragged down to that level. Otherwise I was always a person with very high morals. Anyway, when I reverted, I gave up all of it and took it upon myself to learn everything necessary to being a good muslim and not committing sins. Most reverts are like this and end up being ultra conservative at first in order to not make any mistakes. But as you begin to experience more you can see flaws and truths easier than maybe other muslims who are born into the culture of Islam. I've had people pull all sorts of hadiths on me to prove things that didn't seem right. Oh you can't pluck your eyebrows at all, can't listen to music, dogs are unclean, a period more than 10 days and you have to return to prayer... lots of stuff that didn't make sense but at first I followed.

MY husband was the first to question me on hadiths and I fought back strong. But his proofs were very interesting and it made me look into it. **In general, there are many hadiths that contradict the Qur'an.** If you research this you will find it to be true. No offense to people who follow it and find it hard to break from their culture. I am not doing this in order to be "liberal" or "modern". I Just believe that I want to follow Islam the way Allah and only Allah wanted me to.

So back to marijuana. At this point, I think using hadith about intoxicants is pointless. State it from the Qur'an and only from the Qur'an.
                        Now we are down to the quote from the Qur'an that speaks of al-khamr [5:90] which everyone so easily translates to "intoxicants" but is more genuinely translated to (with a little research): Wine, the strong drink, and comes from a verb "to ferment". Now that is OBVIOUSLY speaking about Alcohol. We all learned from the mishaps of the Bible that translation errors can lead to misinterpretations such as Muhammed's (SAWS) name being translated to the Holy Ghost. It leads to an entirely different interpretation of what is being said. In [5:91] Allah says "Shaitan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from As-Salat (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?". Now enmity(a feeling or condition of hostility; hatred; ill will; animosity; antagonism) and hatred can be caused by alcohol, but is that true of marijuana? Does shaitan use marijuana to bring about hatred and other ill feelings in your heart? No, he doesn't, because anyone who has ever consumed marijuana in any way knows that it does not cause any of these effects. You may say that these could happen between drug dealers etc, but that is only because of a society that criminalizes it. If it were legal to consume in the privacy of your own home then there would be no such problems.

[4:43] "Oh you who believe! do not approach prayers with a mind befogged until you can understand all that you say..."
                        Another point is, how are all forms of intoxication haram when Allah says clearly to make sure you have reclaimed your mind from intoxication before praying? It would seem that Allah would say "All intoxication is unlawful and you will burn in a fiery hell" a hundred times before ever making this statement if the claim that "all intoxicants are haram" were true. Allah would not allude that his followers are intoxicating themselves against his wishes without some sort of speech of their punishment afterward. He is actually connecting those who believe with those who consume intoxicants. Now I know that in the beginning of Islam, alcohol was not haram, but Allah is all knowing and to say He didn't know the role of each part of the Qur'an is a false lie.

By reading [16:115-118], you can see how Allah is very explicit in what he makes unlawful. Everything else he has made lawful for us. There are good intentioned people (maybe not unlike the Jews) who deny themselves of what Allah has not explicitly forbid. But that too is wrong and does not please Allah. It actually perpetuates innovation. This is also a very important point because it talks about how meats that are unlawful are acceptable if it is based on need. Allah does not put undue hardships on us and I try to remember this every time I look at Islamic laws. So those who face medical conditions that can be helped by marijuana are definitely not kept from helping themselves.

[5:87] O ye who believe! make not unlawful the good things which Allah hath made lawful for you, but commit no excess: for Allah loveth not those given to excess.

Now if you consume marijuana because it is not al-khamr, you should enjoy it but avoid excess use. Allah has never promoted excess and tells us that excess does not lead to good, even when it is something lawful. Allah continues throughout the Qur'an telling us to enjoy of what He has not forbid (not in excess) and to remember Him and worship Him. A lot of these Islamic laws taken from hadith complicate Islam and take us away from the purpose of life which is obeying Allah and worshiping him. As long as we do that we are free to do what we want in life. There are so many excessive and arbitrary rules that bog down Islam, making people divide into sects and think they are superior to other muslims. As long as you do what you believe is right and seek forgiveness and understanding from Allah, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.

So in essence, the best bet is to follow the word of God. Hadith are tales not authorized by God. They should be left out of the conversation and your opinion.

[6:38] There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you. Nothing have we omitted from the Book, and they (all) shall be gathered to their Lord in the end.

But if you still want to look to hadith for answers then look to these. The Qur'an is enough guidance for all of us:

"1. The exalted Prophet said, LA TAKTABU 'ANNI GHAIR-AL-QUR'AN. WA MUN KATABA 'ANNI GHAIR-AL-QUR'AN FAL-YAMAHU. (Write nothing from me but the Qur'an, and whoever has written anything other than the Qur'an must erase it." ("Saheeh" Muslim)

[It was narrated from Abu Sa'eed al-Khudri that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Do not write anything from me other than the Qur'an. Whoever has written anything from me other than the Qur'an, must erase it." (Narrated by Muslim, al-Zuhd wa'l-Raqaa'iq, 5326)]

2. Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Abbas was asked what the Prophet (S) had left behind (for the Ummah). He answered, "He left nothing but what is between these two covers, the Qur'an." (Bukhari vol 3, Kitab Fazaail Al-Qur'an)

3. Sahaba Kiraam said, "Whatever we used to hear from Rasoolullah (S), we used to write it. Then, one day, Rasoolullah came forth to us and asked, "What is this that you write?" We answered, "Whatever we hear from you." He admonished, "Are you writing another book by the Book of Allah? Keep the Book of Allah pure and free of all doubt." Then, whatever we had written, we gathered it and burned it in an open field." (Musnad Ahmad bin Hanbal, Tadween Hadith page 249 by Maulana Manazir Ahsan Gilani)

4. Hazrat Abu Bakr gathered people after the death of Rasoolullah (S) and said, "Do you people narrate Ahadith from Rasooullah (S) and then dispute about them? Never ascribe anything to Rasoolullah. If someone asks you a question, say 'Sufficient between you and us is the Book of Allah. Act upon the Permissible and non-Permissible given in this Book'. (Tazkara-til-Haffaaz by Imam Zahabi, Tadween Hadith page 321)

5. Hazrat Ayesha said that Hazrat Abu Bakr had collected the sayings of Rasoolullah and they were 500 in number. One night he was seen very restless. I asked him if he was restless due to some physical illness or had he received bad news. Hazrat Abu Bakr waited until the morning, then asked Hazrat Aisha to bring that collection of Hadith, called for fire and burned it." (Tadween Hadith page 285 on)

6. Hazrat Umar said to people, "I had thought of getting the Ahadith written, but then I thought of those nations that have passed on before you. They wrote books and fell on them, and left the scripture of Allah alone. By God, I do not want to mix anything with the Book of Allah. (Tadween Hadith page 394)

7. When the number of Ahadith started increasing during the time of Hazrat Umar, he told people to bring their collections to him. Following his command, people brought their collections. Then he commanded to burn them. (Tabaqat inn Sa'ad, vol. 5 page 141, Tadween Hadith 399)

8. We do not find any collection of Ahadith at the end of Khilafat Rashida. [Hasan Basari] "

So tl;dr; The Qur'an only specifically says alcoholic drink. Even so what is lawful should not be done in excess. If you are making things unlawful on yourself against what Allah has said, you are creating innovation and only harming yourself. If you seek answers in hadith to add to the word of God, them you are deeming the Qur'an incomplete and not all-inclusive and what good is that? If you believe you are right in seeking hadith to clarify this because they are words of the Prophet (SAWS) then look to the hadith where Muhammed (SAWS) and Abu Bakr and Umar have all told against writing hadith and having books supplemental to the Qur'an.

References:
                        http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/surah5.html
                        http://islam.about.com/od/health/f/alcohol.htm
                        My Qur'an translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
                        http://www.ourbeacon.com/cgi-bin/bbs...14123119168153

Comment

Salaam,

Actually.. most of you are incorrect.
                          Muslims, you classify marijuana incorrectly.
                          It is NOT an intoxicant..
                          In fact marijuana, hash, and cannabis related products are relaxants..
                          The Prophet sallallahu wa alayhi wa sallam forbade the use of intoxicants AND RELAXANTS.
                          Don't get me wrong you mj advocates..
                          I dont believe its bad in that it doesnt really harm the body..
                          Studies have shown that marijuana has the potential to do more good than harm and the all the negative claims made about it have yet to be proved, i.e. no studies have shown that marijuana diminishes short term memory.. there are some memory deficits that occur while using cannabis, however once its cleared from the system there hasnt been evidence to show that its done any harm.
                          Marijuana is haraam because it forces you to turn to it for relief and relaxation instead of salah and worship of Allah.
                          Most muslims classify it as an intoxicant because most people dont actually understand the plant.
                          Im a neuroscience student at my university and so Ive done plenty of studies myself in and out of the lab. ;)

Salaam!

Ps. try checking this website out!
                          http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/115761

Comment

Originally posted by Gyatso4D View Post
                            Salaam,

Actually.. most of you are incorrect.
                            Muslims, you classify marijuana incorrectly.
                            It is NOT an intoxicant..
                            In fact marijuana, hash, and cannabis related products are relaxants..
                            The Prophet sallallahu wa alayhi wa sallam forbade the use of intoxicants AND RELAXANTS.
                            Don't get me wrong you mj advocates..
                            I dont believe its bad in that it doesnt really harm the body..
                            Studies have shown that marijuana has the potential to do more good than harm and the all the negative claims made about it have yet to be proved, i.e. no studies have shown that marijuana diminishes short term memory.. there are some memory deficits that occur while using cannabis, however once its cleared from the system there hasnt been evidence to show that its done any harm.
                            Marijuana is haraam because it forces you to turn to it for relief and relaxation instead of salah and worship of Allah.
                            Most muslims classify it as an intoxicant because most people dont actually understand the plant.
                            Im a neuroscience student at my university and so Ive done plenty of studies myself in and out of the lab. ;)

Salaam!

Ps. try checking this website out!
                            http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/115761
                            Wa Aalaikum Assalam

That which intoxicates the mind is haram to ingest. Marijuana, as far as I know, intoxicates the mind (ie impairs decision making).
                            If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
                            There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

Lol i remember when my a friend told me, when he is high he has more khosu (sincerity). people and their excuses..

Comment

I have a lot of medical knowledge, but I would say that smoking of cannabis is haram bit getting it in you in any other way is halal, since cannabis is actually healthy for your brain cekl production and doesn't affect you in any way that will mess up your judgement. I'm assuming since Muslims created medicines for over a thousand years, thry would see yhat some herbs have bemefits.
                                Cannabis is nothing like alcohol.
                                Most normal people who take it in any way will not have any affects at all, but ot is actually killing of star shaped cells in your brain and creating more round cells.
                                It' been used medically in China for thousands of years and in South America for even longer.

Since prophet Muhammad (SAW) died, Muslim scientists used cannabis for medicines.
                                Also, cannabis isn't a relaxant or an intoxicant. Go look at it's chemical structure if you don't believe me.

stupid teenagers ruined it for everyone by getting drunk and smoking cannabis.

As long as you are treating a problem you should be fine. Don't. make use of it recreational
                                Last edited by amir2e; 23-11-11, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X