Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity

Residents of Okinawa, Sardinia, and Loma Linda, California, live longer, healthier lives than just about anyone else on Earth. What do they know that the rest of us don't?

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n...re1/index.html

Unfortunately you have to get the magazine to read the whole article.

Did You Know?

Seventh-day Adventists are known for living long, healthy lives. One famous follower of Adventism was Dr. John Harvey Kellogg. In the late 1800s the doctor took over operations at the Battle Creek, Michigan, sanitarium, a Seventh-day Adventist holistic healing center. (Kellogg eventually left the Adventist Church due to doctrinal and administrative

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n...re1/learn.html

The Loma Linda folks are Seventh Day Adventists. They live this way because they believe the health message is from God. No pork, drinking etc.. What is truly fascinating, something the article really did not hit on, is that the Adventists are living as long as folks living in rural settings where the air is cleaner and the lifestyle more relaxed (Italy and Okinawa) when they live in a smog ridden city. This is a testament to God's message that we eat healthy and not consume unclean foods.

It has impressed my step dad who does not really believe in the Adventists, he is now changing his opinion. :)

Re: Longevity

And all three places mentioned are supplied by wells into aquifers supplied by snow melt water rather than from above-ground rivers or lakes.

Comment

I remember as a kid reading an article in a newspaper like the National enquirer about this Tibetan guy that lived to be 140 years old and had only ever eaten yak cheese and yogurt. I remember thinking at the time that yeah, he lived to be 140 but he spent the last 135 years ready to kill for a nice steak :p
      Cities are places to hasten your death IMHO. You have the stress, the pace, the pollution etc...give me life in the boonies any day of the weak over that
      I took the road less traveled...where the heck am I? :scratch:

Comment

I would say that genetics are the major factor in longevity. Some families have a long history of having people live well into old age while others tend to die younger. My mother's family is a good example.
        My Grandfather was 94 when he passed away and he was healthy and vigorous up until the end(it was injuries that killed him) despite smoking cigars and his daily constitutionals of home brewed whiskey. My grandmother was 89 when she passed. The youngest of their brother's and sisters died in their late 70's. My grandfathers parents were also well up there too. My great grandfather actually reached 101 years old. Now of my cousins from that branch of the family are reaching up to their 70's now and all are alive except for 2 out of 26. 1 died of an accident and the other died from cancer due to exposure to radiation(she worked at Pickering Nuclear plant)
        My dad's family OTOH all die young. My dad died at 53 and I have no surviving aunts or uncles from that branch of the family tree.
        As for me, Insha allah that I get my genes from my mother's side of the family. I am not afraid of dying but there are many things that I want to do that I have yet to acheive but Allah's will will be done in the end
        I took the road less traveled...where the heck am I? :scratch:

Comment

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050829/news_1n29starve.html
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longevity
          "When authority is given to those who do not deserve it,
          wait for the Day of Judgment."

Comment

Working...
          X