Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it ok to commit suicide?

have been meaning to ask this question since 9/11

we all know its haraam to commit suicide.

imagine you was trapped above the crash area in one of the twin towers. fire, smoke and heat has reached your floor. it is unbearable, very hot, and hard to breathe. would you rather stay and die an agonising death of being burnt alive? or would you commit suicide by jumping out of the window knowing death will be instantaneous with no suffering. would that be classed as haraam?
    Please Re-update your Signature

Re: is it ok to commit suicide?

:start:

:salams

If one jumped out to try to save themselves thinking they'd hit some trees and escape with minor injuries then that's okay. BUt to jump out to kill yourself with less pain???

I once read of the Hadeeth where Muhammad :saw: Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him said a man who fought very bravely in a battle would be an inhibitant of the fire, as after the battle he was in pain from his injuries so got a weapon and killed himself.

I will try to find evidence for this Hadeeth :insha:

:salams
    Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him :inlove: (33:56)

Comment

:start:
      Salamz,

It is haraam to commit suicide in any condition because Allah gave humans life as an Amaanah , a trust and we cannot take our life whenever we want.
      Also, it is narrated in many hadeeth that it is not allowed and in the Quran in Surah Nisa'a it mentions it too...

Comment

Trying to jump is meaning to try saving your life ... those who were jumping were thinking by doing that they would be saving thier lives

Comment

Originally posted by Bent_al-islam
          Trying to jump is meaning to try saving your life ... those who were jumping were thinking by doing that they would be saving thier lives
          This is exactly why EVERYTHING is based on the individauls intentions before the act they commit.

SisterKhadija

Comment

suicide is wrong, Allah created us and he decides when we r going to die. murder is haraam as it is taking a persons life, as is suicide haraam. To Allah we belong and to him we return.
            Oh Allah,
            Make me want that which is beneficial for me...
            And make beneficial for me that which I want.

Comment

Suicide is like giving up on life. There is always a chance to live, a way out.

Remember the quote:

“The real reason for not committing suicide is because you always know how swell life gets again after the hell is over”
              -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I watched the programme about 'The Falling Man' and couldn't understand why everyone assumed his intention was to commit suicide by jumping.

If he had stayed couldn't you just have assumed the same thing?

And the stigma of suicide was what upset people the most. I thought it was a totally self-absorbed reaction to that of a loved one dying.

If someone you fear is chasing you, you run.

If fire is chasing you... you'd probably run.

You couldn't possibly begin to understand what would flash through a person's mind in a situation like that.

Maybe he took what he saw as his one chance to survive.

It really bugged me that 'suicide' was mentioned so many times.

Comment

Originally posted by marjan
                  I watched the programme about 'The Falling Man' and couldn't understand why everyone assumed his intention was to commit suicide by jumping.

If he had stayed couldn't you just have assumed the same thing?

And the stigma of suicide was what upset people the most. I thought it was a totally self-absorbed reaction to that of a loved one dying.

If someone you fear is chasing you, you run.

If fire is chasing you... you'd probably run.

You couldn't possibly begin to understand what would flash through a person's mind in a situation like that.

Maybe he took what he saw as his one chance to survive.

It really bugged me that 'suicide' was mentioned so many times.
                  the two examples you mentioned you run to safety.

alas those trapped in twin towers had nowhere to run to safety. they had two choices..

1. you are powerless and have no choice but wait and die being burnt alive if the smoke did not get to you first. i don't class this as suicide because you did not originate it; or

2. jump out knowing full well you are going to die but with less suffering. This i class as suicide because this step was decided by yourself.

just wondering if we meet our maker will he make allowances

Comment

Suicide is haraam, only Allah (swt) decides when to take lives (and give lives). We CANNOT play god by deciding when we should die.
                    Yawmaithin tu’a A’radoona la takhfa minkum khafiyatun [69:18]
                    :love:
                    "Then which of the blessings of your Lord will you deny?" (Qur'an 55:13)

Comment

Working...
                    X