• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic-Style Swimsuits Give Women Freedom to Dive In

August 21, 2005
    By Amberin Zaman
    Special to The Times

A commentator's criticism of the outfits stirs debate in Turkey, where many wear Western fashions, and some even go topless.

BY THE POOL(Hasema Tekstil)http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...track=morenews
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Aren't those trousers a bit tight?

I think the intentions may be all right...but it still just doesn't work. The segregated beaches make more sense to me :)

-Rashid
    :hidban:

Comment

are the women that go topless in Turkey, muslims?
      Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

they dont look like swimsuits to me.

Comment

Originally posted by T.H
          i have no idea. perhaps topless in this sense means without headcover :scratch:
          URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Comment

hmm well the thing is, if they want to use those outfits 2 swim infront of men... then I think it will still b bit wrong cos wen u get wet they will cling and b skin tight, despite that all ur skin is covered...
            and if u are swimming jst with the sisters... u dnt need all the hijab part u can jst wear t shirt n leggings or something :p
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by T.H
              Yes, and no.

Turkish Muslim women there sometimes go topless...and tourists there do too.

I used to believe that any woman who isn't modest was non-Muslim...I now realise the wrongness of that mindset :)

May Allah Guide the Muslims, help us to be modest, and to lower our gazes. Ameen.

-Rashid

Comment

ameen
                <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

salam alaikum:
                  well i would very much approve of such swim wear. i also never get the chance to go swimming in the sea cos in egypt there are no many segregated beaches. i always found it puzzling have some many foregners enjoyeing out seas and beaches and me wrapped up in hijab in sweltering heat!! inshAllah i will buy one soon:)

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk
                    hmm well the thing is, if they want to use those outfits 2 swim infront of men... then I think it will still b bit wrong cos wen u get wet they will cling and b skin tight, despite that all ur skin is covered...
                    and if u are swimming jst with the sisters... u dnt need all the hijab part u can jst wear t shirt n leggings or something :p
                    salam alaikum:

i dont think so sister, the material does not cling and kinda stiff too.

Comment

Originally posted by amena
                      salam alaikum:

i dont think so sister, the material does not cling and kinda stiff too.
                      Look at the picture in the first post. Don't you think those trousers are little tight? :)

-Rashid

Comment

Originally posted by Rashid786
                        Aren't those trousers a bit tight?

I think the intentions may be all right...but it still just doesn't work. The segregated beaches make more sense to me :)

-Rashid
                        well the problems of segregated beaches are they are way too expensive and another thing is there is still awra between females and not kept hidden in such beaches. therefore i would not completely approve of them completely.

Comment

After reading this part, I certainly agree especially after seeing some of the speedos horrifying other visitors on the beach. "As a pious Muslim, I wanted to wear a bathing costume that did not cling to my genitals," he said in a recent interview. His baggy, mid-calf-length shorts became an instant hit with similarly religious-minded students.

Comment

There no point of those swim suits, i was going to buy one, they cling to you like tightsuits. So it is not permissable for them to wear in front of men, as the normal hijaab should be 3 times the body width so not to show the figure of the muslimah.

If it was in front of just women, that is different, i would say in front of women, the body suits is the lesser fitnah.

Those women who went topless are muslim by name, not by actions, may Allah guide them and show them the importance and beauty of hijaab. ameen.

Comment

Originally posted by amena
                              well the problems of segregated beaches are they are way too expensive and another thing is there is still awra between females and not kept hidden in such beaches. therefore i would not completely approve of them completely.
                              I mean both together...like anna said, t-shirt and trousers would be enough in front of other Muslim women, right? They should segregate Muslims and non-Muslims too (revealing your awrah in front of a non-Muslim woman is the same as to a non-Mahram muslim male.)

Heck, while Egypt's at it, why don't they just implement shari'ah law, eh? :p

Originally posted by Niqaabi
                              Those women who went topless are muslim by name, not by actions, may Allah guide them and show them the importance and beauty of hijaab. ameen.
                              Ameen.

-Rashid

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X