Syeds And The Meaning Of Syeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syeds And The Meaning Of Syeds

i have been brought up in a syed family and have always wondered whats the significant of it. Is it islamic, or cultural, i have always wanted to know where it states in the quran that syed women are not allowed to marry outside meaning other than syed, i am confused. I was brought up to believe we aare form the family of the prophet muhammad (pbuh), can anyone tell me if this is islamic and that i must stick by these rules, any quotations would be great. I have read in the basheti zewar moulana book, that if a syed marrys a moghul or pathan it is considered as marrying someone socially lower than you. It is allowed to marry a sheikh as they are like cousins etc. Please help
    Please Re-update your Signature

syeds and the meaning of syeds

i have been brought up in a syed family and have always wondered whats the significant of it. Is it islamic, or cultural, i have always wanted to know where it states in the quran that syed women are not allowed to marry outside meaning other than syed, i am confused. I was brought up to believe we aare form the family of the prophet muhammad (pbuh), can anyone tell me if this is islamic and that i must stick by these rules, any quotations would be great. I have read in the basheti zewar moulana book, that if a syed marrys a moghul or pathan it is considered as marrying someone socially lower than you. It is allowed to marry a sheikh as they are like cousins etc. Please help

Comment

Originally posted by syed muslimah
      Anyone and everyone these days claims to be a syed by name but not by action. This is nonsense, the prophet said a non-arab is equal to an arab, a black man to a white man. So this is sufficient to show equality in islam. Nowhere in the Quran is it stated that a syed woman may not marry a non-syed. These are cultural practises that are twisted to fit in with the hindu caste system influences in pakistan and other parts of the world to segregate people and to create an unequal class system so the elites rule over the masses.

The diversity of the world is commented upon by Allah in the Quran - O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of God is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And God has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things).

No one in islam is 'socially lower' than another being, not even non-muslims are regarded as lower than muslims - because they are the creation of Allah and thus, He provides for them in the same way He fulfills our needs and wants. There is a clear distinction between disliking the deeds of a person and disliking the person - we musn't hate people - we must hate their actions/bad deeds and injustices.

Comment

Assalaamu 'alaykum wr wb sis

I can relate because I have been brought up in a "sayyad" family and my grandparents especially would probably have a heart attack if I was to marry out of "sayyad" but having said that, I have done my research and I have asked aalims. and there is no evidence to suggest that your marriage will not be valid if you marry sum1 who is not a sayyad.

Sayyads are regarded as the decendants of Hashim who was the great grandfather of Muhammad (saw). And they include descendants of Abbas (RA), Ali (RA), Ja'far (RA), Aqeel (RA), Uthmaan (RA) and a few others I cant quite put my finger on. According to my understanding and what I have learnt, descendants of Hashim known as Banu Hashim aka "sayyads" are now allowed to get help via zakah but are allowed to accept gifts and lillah.

They are the family of the Prophet saw so ofcourse they are for that reason put in high esteem. Through time people have become obsessed with the whole idea of caste system and I think they tend to exagerate its limits. Ofcourse it would make life easier if one who was a sayyad to marry another sayyad if that person is a practising Muslim. however, the way I see it is, if there is a practising brother or sister who is sayyad and that person has a choice between a non-practising sayyad and practising non-sayyad, obviously the wise thing to do would be to marry the person who is practising because we are here purely for the sake of Allaah swt and if it means I going against the norms of my family to marry sum1 who is not a sayyad but is good for my deen... then so be it.

The reasons why they say its best to marry amongst your own is just coz it would be pleasing to the parents and it would life a wee easier for you to adopt to a family/clan you are already familiar with.

When I find out sum more I'll let you know.
        A Traveller...

Comment

oh and btw, You have read baheshti zewar, alhamdulillaah so have I but there a few things in there which raise a few more eyebrows, try and research more into what you read. What i found in that book was a lot of "Do this and do that" but not many quotes from Qur'an and ahadith to back em. Not to say what they right is not true, but it just means we should go out of our way and attempt to find out why they wrote what they and if its correct rather than just blindly following it

InshaAllaah, continue in ur path of knowledge and may Allaah swt make it fruitful for u and all the people converse with-aameen
          A Traveller...

Comment

so wot about books that mention about marry to of a social standing as yourself, and what about these generations of syed people only marrying syeds, my fathr told me that syed women are the mother of Islam, I believe that everyone is equal but what am i suppose to say to my father when i have no quote to tell him it is equal.please help!

Comment

also you mention about the caste system adopted from the hindu caste system. This syed caste came into practice after the children of the prophet (pbuh) daughter Fatima and therafter and it has remained since. I don't believe people are superior than others in anyway as Allah did make everyone equal.

Comment

so wot about books that mention about marry to of a social standing as yourself, and what about these generations of syed people only marrying syeds, my fathr told me that syed women are the mother of Islam, I believe that everyone is equal but what am i suppose to say to my father when i have no quote to tell him it is equal.please help!
                sis u posted this in lifestyle and i answered it there.

you need to do ur research into what you read. I have read the beheshti zewar and the book voids to give daleel on certain mas'ala therefore, strive to find out where they get their info from rather than just blindly followin them
                A Traveller...

Comment

also you mention about the caste system adopted from the hindu caste system. This syed caste came into practice after the children of the prophet (pbuh) daughter Fatima and therafter and it has remained since. I don't believe people are superior than others in anyway as Allah did make everyone equal.
                  sis, like sr. witty pointed out there are many ppl who claim to be sayyads BUT they dont actually practise their deen. ur title will not get u to jannah, its how far u go in the wayof Allaah swt that will determine that.
                  A Traveller...

Comment

jazarkallah sis

yeah i posted it on both, dont know why, neways i will do more research into it. I just need some proof so i can show it to my parents like quotes so if u do get some then post it to me please.

May allah reward you for your knowledge, aameen

Comment

just bear in mind that even though ure a descendant of the Prophet SAW, that is not a ticket for you to enter Jannah. I remember one of my prof told us that during the time of the Osmanly devlet, people bought this title to get some privilleges.

Comment

i totally agree with u there, its ur deen that will get u to jannat, i know many people that are syed by name but they do not practice

Comment

jazarkallah sis

yeah i posted it on both, dont know why, neways i will do more research into it. I just need some proof so i can show it to my parents like quotes so if u do get some then post it to me please.

May allah reward you for your knowledge, aameen
                          aameen :)

oh and sis u mentioned that sheikhs are like cousins, thats not actually true. ill pm u details
                          A Traveller...

Comment

uve read the book, the bit about lineage blah blah, guess i shouldnt always believe everything then hey sis

Comment

sis u sent me a msg, didnt open up

Comment

Working...
                              X