• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating sites, singles chat rooms latest target of Nigerian scams

Seduced into scams: Online lovers often duped
    By Bob Sullivan
    Technology correspondent
    July 28, 2005

Dating sites, singles chat rooms latest target of Nigerian scams'My whole world had fallen apart'
    Flowers bought with stolen credit cards
    'Keep your money to yourself'
    But there is no returning money to consumers who have wired funds overseas, hoping to cement a love bond. Smalley said other would-be victims need to know about the perils of online matchmaking, and they need to listen to the little voices of hesitation and concern inside that she failed to heed.

"So much came back to me after all of this was done," she said. "I sat there thinking about everything. But these guys are professionals. They have the time. They have the patience."

Rhoda Cook has for years operated a Web site named straightshooter.net which maintains a database of sweetheart con artists. She's seen many varieties of romance scams, online and off. There's nothing new about charming men and women swindling would-be lovers, she said.

"When they invented the car, the con artist could drive to the next county. Now they can get on the Internet and go across the world," Cook said. "When you meet someone and you really want someone you just want to believe them."

Her advice to daters is the same, online or off:

"Enjoy the relationship, but keep your money to yourself," she said. "That way, if it goes wrong, all you're going to lose is your heart."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8704213/
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Indeed he is.......what a scammer
    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
    X