X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPs facing prosecution for handing out Pill to girls aged 10

Medical Study News
    Published: Monday, 9-May-2005

Some Scottish doctors could be facing prosecution after it was revealed they have been prescribing the contraceptive pill to girls as young as ten.

In Scotland, having sex with a girl under 13 is classified as statutory rape in line with age-of-consent laws and the offence carries a maximum life sentence.

A new study by researchers at Aberdeen University has found that at least two ten-year-olds are among 23 girls under 13 who have been given the pill by GPs in Scotland.

The disclosure has sparked fury among politicians and family groups and prompted demands for an investigation that could lead to the doctors being charged with a criminal offence.

Legal experts have confirmed that the doctors who prescribed the pill to the youngsters may have acted illegally.

The British Medical Association (BMA) and the General Medical Council tell doctors they can prescribe the pill to girls of any age if they are deemed mature enough to make the decision but if they are under 13 doctors are expected to report it to the police or social workers responsible for children at risk. Whether this occurred in the 23 cases in the study or whether the children's parents were informed is not known.

Dr James McLay, a clinical pharmacologist at Aberdeen University, who led the study, says that it is of concern that the girls who are under 13 and on the oral contraceptive should be reported to social workers because they are being subjected to rape.

Scottish health minister Andy Kerr has been called on by Shona Robison, the health spokeswoman for the Scottish National Party, to immediately investigate the findings.

Robison, like many others says she is absolutely astounded and fails to understand why a child of this age would be prescribed contraception. She regards it as highly unethical and wants the health minister to issue clear guidance to ensure the practice ceases.

Robison also says the legality of prescribing contraceptives to girls who are under age and therefore not able to consent to sex is something the Scottish Executive must also now examine.

The study analysed the prescribing records of every family planning clinic in Scotland as well as 161 GP practices, covering more than 35,000 girls. It showed that nine girls under 13 had been prescribed the pill at family-planning clinics and 14 at GP surgeries in the past year.

The family planning clinics refused to provide a breakdown of the girls' ages, but GPs' records showed that oral contraceptives were given to two ten-year-olds, three 11-year-olds, nine 12-year-olds and 35 13-year-olds. In total, 1,376 girls under 16 were given the pill.

Paul McBride, vice-chairman of the Criminal Bar Association, said there was serious concern that GPs were acting illegally.

Dr Mary Church, the joint-chair of the BMA's Scottish GPs committee, says she is confident that GPs will not have taken the decision lightly."

The study is to be published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood medical journal.

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=9866
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

Comment

:salams
      10-year-olds who have reached the age of having periods all will have irregular periods, because it generally takes several years for the menstrual system to develop a pattern of regularity.
      Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

i guess you all failed to relize Muhammad married Aisha at age 6.....and the marrieg tookpalce at age 9?, aisha was marriedto muhammad for 10 years...we know this...and we also know muhamamd died when she was 19..we know that..and there is plenthorah of hadith about it

or was this a 'bad example' of the prophet muhammad pbuh?

if your saying 'it was diffrent back then'...then you can also say the same thign for ribah, zinah, prayers, ramadan, hajj..and everythign els ein islam becasue it WAs diffrent back then....so 'it is diffrent back then'; is nto an excuse..so tell me....what proof is there that females are nto 'ready' at that age?

i personaly don't see any problem with it one bit

Comment

Originally posted by abdulmalik
          i i personaly don't see any problem with it one bit
          And that is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by abdulmalik
            i guess you all failed to relize Muhammad married Aisha at age 6.....and the marrieg tookpalce at age 9?, aisha was marriedto muhammad for 10 years...we know this...and we also know muhamamd died when she was 19..we know that..and there is plenthorah of hadith about it
            Indeed, after studying this question a bit further, one can only become to a conclusion that Muslims have, in fact, been quite some sex maniacs!

"Marrying in early ages was a solution for sex outside the marriage frame. That why there is a lot of girl who are teenagers could marry in ages between 9-14."

"Also there were a lot of types of permitted sex, than the type we call marriage now. Like a man wanted a child and he could not have, he let his wife lay with another man to have a child carrying her husband name. Another example is bunch o f men lay down with one woman, in different times. After she delivers her baby she names the baby after anyone she chooses from these men."

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/5591/womenpos.htm

Comment

i think to take the pill u have to be mature as it has a lot of side effects and a 10 yr old definetly does not fit that category

Comment

If 10year old girls are being prescribed the Pills, then because of them being minors according to the law, the parents should be made aware of this.

Taking the Pill doesn't mean they are sexually active as a few members rightly pointed out.
                You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

The very fact that there is an age limit for people getting married is a major cause of such immorality. A major flaw in the western way of life which on one hand preaches individual freedom yet restricts the age attempting to regulate the procreational instinct resulting in spread of many harmful diseases and illness in society.
                  "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Comment

Originally posted by Salman Al-Farsi
                    The very fact that there is an age limit for people getting married is a major cause of such immorality. A major flaw in the western way of life which on one hand preaches individual freedom yet restricts the age attempting to regulate the procreational instinct resulting in spread of many harmful diseases and illness in society.
                    Actually, the laws protect children who are not physicaly or mentaly capable of protecting themselves from sexual preditors. Also, you will find that age restrictions are not only in the west, but are in most places world wide. You will find exceptions to that law, especialy in lesser developed nations, but for the most part it is true. No freedom is absolute, otherwise it would be chaos.

In marriage, Individual freedom but with laws to protect children until they develop mentaly and physicaly so they can make their own decisions.
                    Last edited by dour; 10-05-05, 01:16 PM.

Comment

id just like to say...yes it could be classified as rape but why should the man/boy get all the blame im sure if your prescribing for the pill you are strong and confident enough to say NO...
                      i think there should be some sort of punishment for the girls too....
                      if women nowadays want to be equals with men in everything then why not in punishment...
                      i like being independant and i would not mind paying the consequences to my mistakes....this will stop me from doin bad again!

Comment

Working...
                      X