Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minced Meat Curry, Sri Lankan Muslim Style!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minced Meat Curry, Sri Lankan Muslim Style!

This one's thanks to my mum & dad! I'll be bugging my parents and posting more Sri Lankan Muslim recipes in the near future Insha-Allah!

Minced Meat Curry, Sri Lankan Muslim Style!
    SIMPLIFIED VERSION

Mince meat curry is done in six stages.

Stage 1: Preparing and collecting ingredients

a) Wash the minced meat and leave it in a colander so that all the water is drained away. If you have no colander, don't wash it, because you will have problems of water retention in the last stages of cooking. It is clean meat anyway.

b) Cut a whole onion into small pieces.

c) Cut one garlic clove into small pieces.

d) Cut a small piece of ginger - if possible, crush it.

e) Cut two or three tomatoes into small pieces, or you may use tinned whole tomatoes.

f) Keep your black pepper, yellow powder, yoghurt, paprika powder, salt & oil ready for use.

Stage 2: Oil stage

a) Put sufficient oil in a pan and put it on a low fire. For one pound of minced meat, 4 tablespoons of oil is sufficient.

b) When the oil is boiling, add the onion, garlic and ginger, and stir until it browns up.

Stage 3: Minced meat stage

Add the minced meat to the pan and stir it with a wooden spoon if available, for 3 minutes.

Stage 4: Tomato, spices & yoghurt stage

Add the tomato, one flat teaspoon of black pepper, one teaspoon full of paprika, and two tablespoons full of yoghurt.

Stage 5: Salt stage

Add sufficient salt to suit your taste.

Stage 6: Final Stage

Leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes on a low fire.

If you like it hot

If you like it hot, add chilli powder instead of paprika at stage 4, or add a chopped green chilli at stage 2.

Troubleshooting

If you find the mince letting out water at stage three, increase the fire and keep stirring until the excess water evaporates. Then, at stage 6, you will need to lessen the amount of time you leave it to simmer, because the meat would have already cooked well on a high fire. In this case, 5 minutes of simmering may be good enough.

Good luck and ma'selama! :)
    respect refugees

When you say mince meat, are you talking about

canned mince meat? Hamburger grind meat? or other, because I would like to get my wife to make this recipe! Sounds great!
    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Erm, all I know is that my mum asks the butcher to put the meat through the mincing machine!
      respect refugees

Comment

i've had plenty of south indian food (seems quiet similar to sri lankan food) very nice :D

oh... one thing i love about south india (apart from the sarongs ;) ) are the tiny lil bananas! they're so sweet!!
        Take a step into our unique Muslim Montessori school:
        http://campaign.justgiving.com/…/a-…/buildalamiyahschool2015

Donate your sadaqah to help build a Model School for all our children.
        Please watch our school appeal: https://youtu.be/SY819jmCbzw

Text SCHL15 followed by £10 to 70070 and make a difference.
        Please forward this message to help turn this vision into a reality.

The Prophet (SAW) also said, "The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his Sadaqah." (Ahmad)

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Comment

I think we call that chili grind.

Originally posted by baba
          Erm, all I know is that my mum asks the butcher to put the meat through the mincing machine!
          Not as fine as hamburger meat and leaves a bigger chunk. Thanks, I'll try it with the Chili grind which is meat ground about the size of a penny! Very lean and absorbs the seasonings! Thanks baba! Have you ever had Mexican chili or picadillo? Your dish sounds similar!

Comment

We have bannanas that we cook like a starch

Originally posted by seven
            i've had plenty of south indian food (seems quiet similar to sri lankan food) very nice :D

oh... one thing i love about south india (apart from the sarongs ;) ) are the tiny lil bananas! they're so sweet!!
            They are not sweet and they grill or saute beautiful almost like a pototo, they are called Platino!

Comment

Minced meat tip

OK, I just asked my dad and he told me this:

The minced meat that the butcher sells is usually leftovers put through the mincing machine.

You should get a leg of lamb (the leg has more meat), ask the butcher to separate the meat from the bone, and then mince the meat (i.e. put through the mincing machine) especially for you.
              respect refugees

Comment

Working...
              X