X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed? Try working out

Last Updated Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:50:36 EST
    CBC News

HALIFAX - Exercise can be as effective as medication for treating mild to moderate depression, U.S. research suggests. Patients who exercise aerobically for at least 30 minutes three to five times a week are just as likely to get better as those who take anti-depressants or talk regularly with a therapist, according to the study from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre.

Kate Hayes, a clinical psychologist in Toronto, occasionally urges exercise therapy for her patients and says it's underprescribed.

"It's very easy to give a pill," said Hayes, who has written two books about the mental health benefits of exercise.

"The research is really pretty consistent that exercise can be equally as effective with medication, can be equally as effective with psychotherapy. There are times when one or another of those are combined."

For many of her patients, she said, exercise offers the same benefits as drugs, without the risk of side-effects or the cost.

The Texas study, published recently in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine, looked at 95 men and women aged 20 to 45 years who had been diagnosed with mild to moderate depression.

The researchers initially tested them using the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression, then asked them to do one of four exercise programs that varied in total energy expenditure and frequency.

The patients worked out on treadmills or stationary bicycles for three or five days a week.

The study, which was conducted between 1998 and 2001, also included a control group that did three days a week of stretching exercises rather than aerobic activity.

When researchers tested the patients again after 12 weeks, they found the depression had faded by an average of 42 per cent in people who did 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least three times a week.

That's similar to other studies that showed remission rates of 36 per cent for cognitive behavioral therapy and 42 per cent for antidepressant medication.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/nati...on-050204.html
    URGENT!!! your help is badly needed - fundraising for marriage

There is the issue of lack of motivation for sme individuals with severe clinical depression.

Fair enough, its a good idea but actually putting it into practise is another ball game altogether

Ws
    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

but a depressed person won't have the energy to exercise in the first place since they are not eating properly due to loss of appetite.. they probably need some kind of moral support from people around them to help them get back on their feet and start exercising..
      Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

running away from your problems never helps

Comment

exercise, depression

....when depressed, a person doesnt care about even eating healthily; they dont care about keeping fit, or anything else - just wanting to vanish into nothingness. Also, if the root cause of the depression still persists then will doing any exercise help? Maybe it will help by raising ones ability to cope with the root cause?

Yes, support is very important.

Interestingly, a depressed person may simply not want to achieve anything - and thus will 'fall into' circumstances that will make them miserable.. such a person would need to take control of his/her life. That can be difficult!....

Having said all of that - if I am interested in helping myself; and if I do believe myself not to be a coward/loser, then I would have to try every kind of self help available to me - before completley giving up. So, I will have to start exercising!!! maybe doing this for a few months will help? (mmmm, and better stop telling mysefl all teh reasons why exercising will never work, "whats the point", is the mantra for some depressed people!)...

Please make dua!!!!!!

salaams.

Comment

Originally posted by Br.Azam
            ....when depressed, a person doesnt care about even eating healthily; they dont care about keeping fit, or anything else - just wanting to vanish into nothingness. Also, if the root cause of the depression still persists then will doing any exercise help? Maybe it will help by raising ones ability to cope with the root cause?

Yes, support is very important.

Interestingly, a depressed person may simply not want to achieve anything - and thus will 'fall into' circumstances that will make them miserable.. such a person would need to take control of his/her life. That can be difficult!....

Having said all of that - if I am interested in helping myself; and if I do believe myself not to be a coward/loser, then I would have to try every kind of self help available to me - before completley giving up. So, I will have to start exercising!!! maybe doing this for a few months will help? (mmmm, and better stop telling mysefl all teh reasons why exercising will never work, "whats the point", is the mantra for some depressed people!)...

Please make dua!!!!!!

salaams.
            yes, i do agree with u that depress ppl don't care about anything.. which is why they need someone, family or friend to help them snap out of the doldrums.. you speak as though your experiencing it yourself. family support is very crucial because sometimes, even friends can fail you and yes, you can fail yourself too. there's no harm in trying to exercise but you must believe that you want things to change. you have to want to get out of this depressive phase only then can you proceed because if your mindset is bent on not believing exercising can help then, it won't. it's just like a person who keep saying he is stupid and keep believing he is stupid. in the end, he becomes stupid because he doesn't make an effort to improve himself nor to search for the potential within himself. the roots of the problem would not go away just by exercising if that was true, i imagine many psychologist might lose their jobs.. if a depressed person can just cure himself by exercising. exercising would indirectly help mentally because when your body is healthy, your mind would be alert and ready. you would be able to make better decisions and have a clearer perceptive on things. maybe then, you could find a solution to your problems. insyallah. may allah will always be with you through this difficult time.

Comment

Is there such a thing as those who are genetically programmed to be more pre-disposed to depression and stress if certain opportunities arise?
              "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)

" How can the one who chooses a hour of Haraam pleasure, above the eternal pleasure of Jannah, ever be considered as sane? "
              -Ibn Al Qayyim

Beneficial Database of Islamic Books and Media: www.Islamhouse.com
              Interested in Islam : www.islamreligion.com ; www.islam-guide.com

Comment

Originally posted by AbdulMajid
                Is there such a thing as those who are genetically programmed to be more pre-disposed to depression and stress if certain opportunities arise?
                Salaams.

yes, apparently some people are more predisposd to depression than others. Some people simply have a much lower level of mood, whilst others are more sucseptible to depression IF placed under certain circumstances. Either way, it is easy to simply say, "oh, but its down to the genes"....

Regarding Simplicity email: Yes, I agree - if one believes that nothing will help, then yes he will not do anything to help himself. However, thats part of depression - the pessimism, the black and white thinking, the jumping to conclusions, the negative interpretations, predictions, etc tec. In this respect, support is essential... Exercise - well, its like taking pills: they dont solve the root cause, but they can help you to deal with them so that in the end you dont need to take the pills. Apparently, in some people - simply taking pills for 6 months and then weaning themselves off them is enough to 'kickstart' the system into the way it used to be - to do with chemical balance in brain apparently.

I am told to recite duas for depression as well.. However, to be honest - I cant say that it has really helped - unless, because of the dua Allah has brought people into my life who would otherwise have nto come..(people to support me.) - thus, in thsi case - the dua did help!

depressed - yep, I am! I dont want to remain like this, and I dont want to attract attention ("pooor me!!") - however, practical advice, and inspiration from others who have succeed it - thats why I posted I guess...

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. Salaams everyone.

Comment

The issue of whether depression (or any other mental illness) is genetic or environmental is debatable...and hs been at the centre of discussion for a long long time.
                  But its generally accepted tht depression occurs due to a variety of factors and is an amalgamation of psychological, social/environmental, and genetic factors (which one has more of an effect on any given person is also debatable)

Social support (or percieved support, jst as important) is often very important for individuals with depression as lack of motivation, negative attributions, anhedonic symptoms (unable to feel pleasure/joy out of things in life) and overall thinking on the negative side renders them not incapable but unwilling to do anything/most things. So a bit of prodding here and there by relatives, family and friends (and to maintain tht support after depression begins to alleviate: v important) helps.

Ws
                  You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

Working...
                  X