X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study or Work?

(I hope this is the correct sub-forum)

Assalam alaikum dear brothers and sisters,

I hope someone can give me some good advice. I will try to keep it short.

So I'm 21 years old and I live in the Netherlands, I finished my study as Bookkeeper back in May of this year. I got high marks ranging from the lowest 8 to my highest marks 10 (which is the highest possible). I didn't really like my study but I pushed on. Now I'm looking back and see that I wasted much time on a study I didn't like.

Anyway, now I'm wondering what would be wise to do. Start another study in another direction (which will take another 4 years to complete) or start working a job I probably not going to enjoy. I'm planning to move out of my parents house soon and I also want to get married. So there is not a lot of time to be wasted.

NOTE: the next study will be a higher degree so I will benefit from it in the long term

Re: Study or Work?

Originally posted by Amazigh View Post
    (I hope this is the correct sub-forum)

Assalam alaikum dear brothers and sisters,

I hope someone can give me some good advice. I will try to keep it short.

So I'm 21 years old and I live in the Netherlands, I finished my study as Bookkeeper back in May of this year. I got high marks ranging from the lowest 8 to my highest marks 10 (which is the highest possible). I didn't really like my study but I pushed on. Now I'm looking back and see that I wasted much time on a study I didn't like.

Anyway, now I'm wondering what would be wise to do. Start another study in another direction (which will take another 4 years to complete) or start working a job I probably not going to enjoy. I'm planning to move out of my parents house soon and I also want to get married. So there is not a lot of time to be wasted.

NOTE: the next study will be a higher degree so I will benefit from it in the long term
    :wswrwb:
    My advise is to study first. At 21 years old, you can still afford to study provided you have the financial means.
    Once you are done, you can start working at 25. Complete studies first.

Another option is to work while at the same time having part time studies.
    Provided you feel you are confident enough to balance both work and studies.

Allah Subḥānahu wa-taʿālā has mentioned in the Quran in chapter Surah Al-Baqarah [ 2:183] and [2:185] O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -

The month of Ramadhan is that in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. Al-Baqarah [2:185]

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimThinker View Post
      :wswrwb:
      My advise is to study first. At 21 years old, you can still afford to study provided you have the financial means.
      Once you are done, you can start working at 25. Complete studies first.

Another option is to work while at the same time having part time studies.
      Provided you feel you are confident enough to balance both work and studies.

Yes, the best option would be a combination of work and study.
      But I fear that It will be too much at a certain point.
      I feel like starting to work at age 25 will be too late.

Comment

Yes, the best option would be a combination of work and study.
        But I fear that It will be too much at a certain point.
        I feel like starting to work at age 25 will be too late.
        Not really, I start working at mid 20s too. I decide to complete studying and doing other things before working.
        But it depends on your culture, your environment/surrounding perhaps. It may be considered late in that case.
        Anyway all the best.
        Either way, work or study, its good. For the future.
        Allah Subḥānahu wa-taʿālā has mentioned in the Quran in chapter Surah Al-Baqarah [ 2:183] and [2:185] O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -

The month of Ramadhan is that in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. Al-Baqarah [2:185]

Comment

You have few options

1) Study full time and work part time--> this will give you some work experience & gimps into real life & independency but also make your study priority so you can complete it in time

2) Work full time and study part time --> this will give you greater financial freedom but will put study in back burner. Unless you are really motivated & can handle multi-task don't take it. I worked full time & completed my Master part time but I took 5 years to complete 2 year program & I didn't feel stressed out but most people do have hard time

3) Find a job that you like -> most jobs are not linked to the subject one studies in school. 80% of my college friends work in field that is not what they studied in university. Identify what you want to do & see if you can find a job with your existing degree.

What would be the alternative (new direction) you will study if you do go back to school? what type of job are you looking for? and is there possibility to get that job with your existing degree

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
            You have few options

1) Study full time and work part time--> this will give you some work experience & gimps into real life & independency but also make your study priority so you can complete it in time

2) Work full time and study part time --> this will give you greater financial freedom but will put study in back burner. Unless you are really motivated & can handle multi-task don't take it. I worked full time & completed my Master part time but I took 5 years to complete 2 year program & I didn't feel stressed out but most people do have hard time

3) Find a job that you like -> most jobs are not linked to the subject one studies in school. 80% of my college friends work in field that is not what they studied in university. Identify what you want to do & see if you can find a job with your existing degree.

What would be the alternative (new direction) you will study if you do go back to school? what type of job are you looking for? and is there possibility to get that job with your existing degree
            After my internship I noticed how boring bookkeeping/accounting was, I was so stressed and demotivated. I did good and they were happy with me, but I was not happy. So now I realize that I want a meaningful job, preferably a job where I can help people.

After looking around, I found a profession called 'debt counselor' which I found interesting. So I'm now looking into this.

Comment

After my internship I noticed how boring bookkeeping/accounting was, I was so stressed and demotivated. I did good and they were happy with me, but I was not happy. So now I realize that I want a meaningful job, preferably a job where I can help people.

After looking around, I found a profession called 'debt counselor' which I found interesting. So I'm now looking into this.
              I am pretty sure you can get a job as debt counselor with an accounting degree. Most business degrees are interchangeable. Accounting being the most specific and hardest to get if you don't have accounting degree. I will suggest talk to career councilor & talk to few people working as "debt counselor". draft up a plan on how you can get those job with your current qualification. To me, if you are planning on staying in business field (as in you don't plan on becoming nurse or teacher or something completely different from business) then there is no point getting a degree now. Your current degree will help up get the job you want. You might not get it straight out of college, you might need to build some experience but as long as you have a plan... you spoke to few people & know the steps you need to get to your desire job.. you are set.

Instead of wasting 4 years in university, spent 4 years building your resume in such a way that leads you to the job you want. Now if you told me you were going to change your field completely like from accountant to engineer, I would have said go back to school. But you are staying in same area, use the degree you already have

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                I am pretty sure you can get a job as debt counselor with an accounting degree. Most business degrees are interchangeable. Accounting being the most specific and hardest to get if you don't have accounting degree. I will suggest talk to career councilor & talk to few people working as "debt counselor". draft up a plan on how you can get those job with your current qualification. To me, if you are planning on staying in business field (as in you don't plan on becoming nurse or teacher or something completely different from business) then there is no point getting a degree now. Your current degree will help up get the job you want. You might not get it straight out of college, you might need to build some experience but as long as you have a plan... you spoke to few people & know the steps you need to get to your desire job.. you are set.

Instead of wasting 4 years in university, spent 4 years building your resume in such a way that leads you to the job you want. Now if you told me you were going to change your field completely like from accountant to engineer, I would have said go back to school. But you are staying in same area, use the degree you already have
                I'm still unsure though, I fear making a wrong decision again. And I'm getting pushed by people to make a decision fast, which is really stressful.
                May I ask you about your profession? Did you always wanted to be in that field or have a certain job? Or did it grow and develop overtime?

By the way, thank you for your advise so far :D

Comment

you are welcome, hope it is helping. I am in science field, so not too familiar with business world. I knew when I was younger that I will stay in math & science route but I did not know exactly what degree or career. It sort of evolved thru process of elimination & then I just landed somewhere. To be honest, I didn't think much about liking or not liking my job in earlier years. I was too busy trying to figure out how to do my job and by the time I got hang of it (around 2 years in the job) by then I already liked my job and saw other potential that I can go into if I ever get bored. working in large company I noticed many people switch jobs and end up areas I never thought someone with my background would be in. There are engineers and chemist in my company working in marking, sales, controlling, regulatory, planning events, teaching..etcs. Before working I thought people only did what they study

this is why I am telling you most people don't work in the area they study. Career evolves. Now if you are bored in your first job, I want to say you either did not get a very challenging job. Maybe try a different job that has steep learning curve. Do lot of networking, information gathering. Email alumni from your university & see how their career has evolved. Email people who graduated 10 -20 years ago. Email any debt counselor info you can find and ask for 15 minute phone conversation so you can learn about their job. What is the worst they can do, say NO to you? start over. I am not against higher education, I think it is perfect. But I don't think higher education should be the answer because you don't enjoy something you put so many years in. Give it few more chance & then if all doesn't work, you can always go back for higher education

Comment

Working...
                  X