Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council housing

Salaam all, I really need advice.

InshaAllah Just wondered if any of you can give me advice on how to get council housing?

I've been living with my dad and brother (non Muslims) since I separated 2yrs ago due to abuse (my dad helped me alot during this time) and in the time living here has been strained sometimes. (somewhat abusive even) whenever it blows up I mention applying for housing for me and my child and my dad tells me to go do it (swearing involved and when I say dont swear around mg child no notice is taken) but then after it calms down my dad has pursued me not to as we are both financially better living together -he has lots of debt and stuff he also gambles, my brother also doesn't financially help much despite working -and I am on income support as a single parent as I have no childcare available to work.

But I really do want to move out because as time goes on its getting more and more difficult and is affecting my mental health. I am just starting the process of legal divorce so I cant get remarried anytime soon so am kind of stuck! So my only real option is to do it alone with my child without any support. But my dad keeps saying why move if am looking to get remarried as soon as I can?!

I've never applied for housing before and honestly i dont want to remain in this area as there's no Islamic community whatsoever! But I have no clue where to even start. Any advice is really appreciated.

Jazakallah khairan.

Re: council housing

:salams

No advice but will make dua inshaAllah for you and your child, can't be easy
    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

Jazakallah khairan brother for the duaa.

We all have trails to over come Alhamdulillah.

Comment

Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post
        Salaam all, I really need advice.

InshaAllah Just wondered if any of you can give me advice on how to get council housing?

I've been living with my dad and brother (non Muslims) since I separated 2yrs ago due to abuse (my dad helped me alot during this time) and in the time living here has been strained sometimes. (somewhat abusive even) whenever it blows up I mention applying for housing for me and my child and my dad tells me to go do it (swearing involved and when I say dont swear around mg child no notice is taken) but then after it calms down my dad has pursued me not to as we are both financially better living together -he has lots of debt and stuff he also gambles, my brother also doesn't financially help much despite working -and I am on income support as a single parent as I have no childcare available to work.

But I really do want to move out because as time goes on its getting more and more difficult and is affecting my mental health. I am just starting the process of legal divorce so I cant get remarried anytime soon so am kind of stuck! So my only real option is to do it alone with my child without any support. But my dad keeps saying why move if am looking to get remarried as soon as I can?!

I've never applied for housing before and honestly i dont want to remain in this area as there's no Islamic community whatsoever! But I have no clue where to even start. Any advice is really appreciated.

Jazakallah khairan.
        Wsalam

Are you in the UK?

Comment

Hard to advice you if we don't know where you live..

Where I am from it's much easier to get government assisted housing or to apply for Community outreach built houses..

They're incredibly cheap. The community outreach houses go for 500CAD a month, and wallah they look much more modern, with better built than houses that is rented at 2000 or a like.

The government assisted housing, I see a lot of muslims there sadly...But they're also incredibly cheap but apparently it takes 3-12 months to process the papers.

The only issue is, you really need to be in a tough situation to qualify for those..

if you are a single mom but is making under the average yearly income, feels like an automatic approval. I see a lot of single moms in government assisted housing..

And those housing have like 3 bedrooms, decent sized kitchen etc.

Much better and bigger than some of the place people rent at 1500 a month..but again only people with qualified circumstances get approved.

Judging from your post, you probably don't live around here though...The people in this city are notorious for abusing this system...It's super popular.

Makes me feel bad for the people that actually need it.
          Stop being apologetic to Kuffars!

If I don't engage with you or reply to any of your question, it's likely because I find you racist and a total waste of time.

Comment

forgot to mention where I am!.
            Yeah I am in UK.

I know I wont be a priority as I do have somewhere to live and not in danger Alhamdulillah. There's a housing crisis right now I think so I dont know how long it actually takes tbh-maybe years!
            Thats why my dad keeps convincing me to just stay until I meet someone as if that is easy! I've already been here 2yrs and only just managed to start a divorce never mind eventually marrying, my family seem to think its easy.

I think my life would be better living separately just me and my child- as its not good for children to be around aggression no matter how fleeting- the main reason for my divorce was violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post
              forgot to mention where I am!.Yeah I am in UK. I know I wont be a priority as I do have somewhere to live and not in danger Alhamdulillah. There's a housing crisis right now I think so I dont know how long it actually takes tbh-maybe years! Thats why my dad keeps convincing me to just stay until I meet someone as if that is easy! I've already been here 2yrs and only just managed to start a divorce never mind eventually marrying, my family seem to think its easy.I think my life would be better living separately just me and my child- as its not good for children to be around aggression no matter how fleeting- the main reason for my divorce was violence.
              I would think you would be able to get higher up on the waiting list given your situation. https://www.gov.uk/council-housing/a...advice/advice/

Comment

The ease of acquiring council housing depends mainly on the state your local council/borough and your circumstances.

In some council boroughs it is harder to acquire council housing in comparison to others as there are longer waiting lists and demand simply outstrips supply. Area I live in people have to wait for years even when their situation is considered an 'emergency'. But my area is particularly over-populated so it is worse here then it may be in other places.

As you are not homeless and perhaps cannot cite over crowding as a reason for moving out you most likely will not be considered a 'priority case'.
                You will however be eligible to receive financial aid in the form of housing benefits to help you towards the cost of renting a property if that as an option for yourself atall. Many councils also run a rent/deposit scheme where they will pay your first months rent & deposit.

Either way pay a visit to your local council or check their website to have a look at their guidelines in regards to procuring council housing and take it from there.

Comment

Jazakallah khairan for the information and links I think I've successfully created an online profile on the local council thing. I've also emailed the council I was born in to see if I can get on that list (its a city). I still dont know how long it all takes I remember my daughter nursery teacher said she was told a 5yr wait to upgrade to a house with an extra bed room. I guess I wont be priority so many I will be looking at 5yrs as we have a room to stay in.

I appreciate everyone help and advice alot!

Wa Salaam

Comment

Also, you can directly to your local council, they will give the forms and may even help to fill out everything.
                    Do your calculation first to see how much you have to pay, I think you need to pay some contribution.

Comment

Jazakallah Khairan brothers
                      -the links have been useful to get my head around the process.
                      - I didn't think to go directly to an office everything is online now you just assume you have to do it online!

Comment

Working...
                      X