Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyaravi Shareef

Assalamualaikum.

My maternal gramps does this thing every month where he invites all his siblings and their families to his house and they perform the 'Gyaravee Sharif' (Gyara means eleven in Urdu, I don't know what the rest means). I never thought much about it because I wasn't sure what it was, so I never really took part in it except once, few years ago.

As far as I remember, they cook good food for everyone, and then they all sit on a big mat and recite some stuff in Urdu and Persian. And then they do a dhikr where they go from 'Allahu' to 'Allah' and then to just repeating 'Hu' 'Hu'. And I hear my Grandpa singing some stuff where he mentions a Mohiuddin Jeelani.

I'm almost certain this is bidah, but I wanted some of you brothers and sisters to shed light on the matter. How bad is it?

Another problem is I live with my grandparents almost 3 days out of the 7 days a week. I always skip it using some excuse or the other, or just straight ignore it by staying in my room. I have tried easing my Grandpa into talking about bidah but he is staunchly against what he calls 'Wahabis' so I didn't push it too much to maintain a decent home environment.

Other than that, I think he believes in waseelah too. He once told me if anyone goes to a certain Mazar (shrine) in India with a wish, that will be fulfilled.

Please advise me brothers and sisters. How bad is all this? Is it shirk or kufr? And what can I do if no one cares what I say cuz I'm just a kid to them? Will I be held responsible for all this?

Jazakhallah :)

Re: Gyaravi Shareef

Bump. It's going down tonight again -_-

Comment

There is no basis for it.

Comment

Wa Salaam brother.
        Ah is that the name for it! My inlaws do this (they are indian). My husbands aunty host it. They also go to the shrines I wouldn't know exactly what happens as I always refused to go or let my child go (I've been told they read Quran and only eat veg food-no one veg). My husband always went though am sure he knew it was haram and it is straight up bidah. I asked my husband for references of this practice in Islam if it was halal and he could not give any. Also the mixing of the sexes is haram. (although am not exactly the most knowledgeable so inshaAllah someone better will come clarify)

So in my opinion You should not attend and you wont be accountable for the actions of others if they refuse to listen then they are accountable for their ignorance/sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Um_Saf View Post
          Wa Salaam brother.
          Ah is that the name for it! My inlaws do this (they are indian). My husbands aunty host it. They also go to the shrines I wouldn't know exactly what happens as I always refused to go or let my child go (I've been told they read Quran and only eat veg food-no one veg). My husband always went though am sure he knew it was haram and it is straight up bidah. I asked my husband for references of this practice in Islam if it was halal and he could not give any. Also the mixing of the sexes is haram. (although am not exactly the most knowledgeable so inshaAllah someone better will come clarify)

So in my opinion You should not attend and you wont be accountable for the actions of others if they refuse to listen then they are accountable for their ignorance/sins.
          Thank you sister. But is it only a bidah or is it shirk as well? It kinda sounds like they are doing Dhikr of Sheikh Jilani (rh) (found out he was a legit pious person).

Jazakhallah khair

Comment

Again I am not very knowledgeable in all of this (may Allah forgive me if I provide something false)

I also only have the internet and Quran available to me currently and we all know the internet isn't the most reliable source of Islam however.

I had alook online about this and the shiekh you mentioned- this is a quote of the end of the information provided I will also provide the link below so you can read the full page inshaAllah-

'The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked:

I hope that you will do us the honour of writing for us some brief comments on Sufism and Sufis, what Sufism is, what their beliefs are, the opinion of Ahl as-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa‘ah concerning them, and what one who is of Ahl as-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa‘ah should do, or how he should interact with them if these Sufis insist on their beliefs, and they think that they are following truth even after the facts have been explained to them and have become clear to them.

They replied:

The word Sufism is derived from “soof”, meaning wool, because they wore garments made of wool, and that is linguistically more likely and closer to the reality of their way of life. With regard to the view that the word Sufism is derived from “as-suffah” because they are similar to the poor Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them), who used to gather by the suffah (bench) in the Prophet’s mosque, or that it is derived from “safwah” (purity) because of the purity of their hearts and deeds, all of that is wrong and is not correct, because the adjective derived from suffah is suffi, and the adjective derived from safwah is safawi. These two meanings are not applicable to them, because in most cases their beliefs are corrupt and they follow a lot of innovations.

All the Sufi orders (tareeqahs) or that which is called tasawwuf (Sufism) nowadays are full of actions that are innovated and constitute shirk, or the means that lead to it, as well as corrupted beliefs that are contrary to the Qur’an and Sunnah, such as seeking the help of the dead and the aqtaab (sing. qutb, meaning a holy man or saint) by saying “Madad ya seedi (Help, O my master)”, or “Madad ya Sayyidah Zaynab (Help, O Lady Zaynab),” or “Madad ya Badawi (Help, O Badawi)” or “Ya Dasooqi (O Dasooqi)” and other cries for help to the shaykhs and “saints”, believing that they can see into people’s hearts and that they have knowledge of the unseen and what the hearts conceal, and that they have secret powers that enable them to do extraordinary things, and calling upon Allah by names that He did not call Himself, such as “Hu Hu Hu” and “Ah Ah Ah.”

The Sufis have innovated awraad (sing. wird) and du‘aa’s (supplications) that are not prescribed in Islam. They take a pledge from their disciples (mureeds) that they will mention Allah in their rituals and worship by particular specific divine names, in unison, such as saying “Allah, Hayy (Every-Living), and Qayyoom (Self-Sustaining).” They repeat it every day and night, and they do not recite other names of Allah except with the permission of their shaykhs, otherwise they would be disobeying their shaykhs and would be afraid of the servants of these names. They do all of that whilst swaying, bowing, rising, dancing, singing and clapping, and other actions for which there is no basis and that are not known in the Book of Allah or the Sunnah of His Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him).

No Muslim should sit in their gatherings and he must avoid mixing with them, so that he will not be influenced by their corrupt beliefs, lest he fall into the same shirk and innovation that they have fallen into. He should advise them and explain the truth to them in the hope that Allah will guide them at his hands, whilst affirming those matters in which they are in accordance with the Qur’an and Sunnah, and denouncing those matters in which they go against them. In doing so he must adhere to the methodology of Ahl as-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa‘ah, so as to protect his religious commitment. Whoever wants to know about the Sufis and their beliefs in detail should read Madaarij as-Saalikeen by Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah and Hadhihi hiya as-Soofiyyah by ‘Abd ar-Rahmaan al-Wakeel.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez Aal ash-Shaykh, Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd.

Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa’imah, vol. 2, 88-90

See also the answer to question no. 20375 for the ruling on joining Sufi orders.

And Allah knows best

Comment

https://islamqa.info/en/143615

This is the website I found the information above from inshaAllah I hope it is a reliable source- it sure seems so to me.

Comment

Working...
              X