Islam, me and the beard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam, me and the beard.

Hello and greetings to all my fellow muslim brothers and sisters. Let me start this thread off by saying that I am looking for genuine and constructive advice, not the type of dogmatic rhetoric that does nothing in terms of taking into account the types of different variables and situations that we're all individually presented with. With that being said...

I'm a Muslim 18-year old from Sweden, soon to start my last year of high school. While studying, I will (God willing) attempt to work at the weekends and on the holidays to try and save up some money for some key items (driver's lisence, sustainable/good phone, potentially a car, et cetera). Next year, I will be attending university (God willing). With all of that being said, I have a problem. My
    beard. And nothing about it is characteristic of a classical beard. Infact, it looks something much worse. Along the lines of pubic hair (and this is what people in my social circles (specifically Muslims) have told me, repeatedly and consistently).

I have nothing against beards and am by no means drawn to the babyface-type shanenagans that has been normalized by westerners (which I've never really understood). On the contrary, I love me a good beard and think that it is something that makes a man look like... a man. But my genetic predispositions seem to have put me in some sort of a corner. People in the West expect you to look fresh, presentable. Employers seek this, the people that you are surronded by in your work-life and in your school circles expect this. It does not help that people associate your facial hair with something that is percieved as disgusting (and to an extent, fair), i.e. pubic hair.

Which brings me here. What solutions are there? How do I reconcile being functional in society with my personal beliefs? The hadiths to my knowledge imply that beards are there so that there's a visual distinction between Muslims and the kuffars, and so that we may not imitate the Kuffars. Am I imitating the kuffars by shaving & trimming my beard (temporarily) to make it look more like a beard? Thanks in advance.

Re: Islam, me and the beard.

Salams,

Firstly, your beard has just started growing it is bound to be somewhat uneven so it isnt a problem. A sparse beard doesnt make a man look bad whatsoever.

And as general advice, I will tell you this: do not be swayed and influenced by people on flimsy ground. You know beard is sunnah, right, so your problem should end there. Dont let anybody try to control your mind by saying something which is good and highly recommended to do - is wrong. You make the decisions based on sound reasoning. This applies to everything in life.

Limit your connection with people who dont take Deen seriously.

You will never be able to please people. They will always find fault in something or the other. Aim to please Allah and His Rasul That is more than enough for a muslim.

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Some people generically just have stringy beards zakir niak for example theres nothing you can do for that from what I know although maybe someone else may know

You can trim your beard and groom it to make it look neater and organised but it should be at least fist length.
      But only you know what your intentions are and whether you are tryna imitate kuffar or not. With regards to how your bear looks just grow it out Allah knows ur intentions and most men do. Ive seen some men with just sideburns coz they have no chin hair but alhamdullilah they still make the effort. You will be rewarded inshAllah so just hack it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Philosopher v2 View Post
        Hello and greetings to all my fellow muslim brothers and sisters. Let me start this thread off by saying that I am looking for genuine and constructive advice, not the type of dogmatic rhetoric that does nothing in terms of taking into account the types of different variables and situations that we're all individually presented with. With that being said...

I'm a Muslim 18-year old from Sweden, soon to start my last year of high school. While studying, I will (God willing) attempt to work at the weekends and on the holidays to try and save up some money for some key items (driver's lisence, sustainable/good phone, potentially a car, et cetera). Next year, I will be attending university (God willing). With all of that being said, I have a problem. My
        beard. And nothing about it is characteristic of a classical beard. Infact, it looks something much worse. Along the lines of pubic hair (and this is what people in my social circles (specifically Muslims) have told me, repeatedly and consistently).

I have nothing against beards and am by no means drawn to the babyface-type shanenagans that has been normalized by westerners (which I've never really understood). On the contrary, I love me a good beard and think that it is something that makes a man look like... a man. But my genetic predispositions seem to have put me in some sort of a corner. People in the West expect you to look fresh, presentable. Employers seek this, the people that you are surronded by in your work-life and in your school circles expect this. It does not help that people associate your facial hair with something that is percieved as disgusting (and to an extent, fair), i.e. pubic hair.

Which brings me here. What solutions are there? How do I reconcile being functional in society with my personal beliefs? The hadiths to my knowledge imply that beards are there so that there's a visual distinction between Muslims and the kuffars, and so that we may not imitate the Kuffars. Am I imitating the kuffars by shaving & trimming my beard (temporarily) to make it look more like a beard? Thanks in advance.
        Don't some swedes have big beards to give them an Odin/Thor look?

Comment

Originally posted by The Philosopher v2 View Post

I did not start to have facial hair until I was like 21. Eventually it should grow out more. inshaAllah

Comment

I wish I could grow a nice full long beard. I'm over 30 and it's still patchy and scraggly looking ;_;

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post
              I wish I could grow a nice full long beard. I'm over 30 and it's still patchy and scraggly looking ;_;
              Have you tried Argan oil?

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                Have you tried Argan oil?
                No, I haven't, but I will now. I also heard black seed oil is good for it too, so I'm just going to order both now. Inshallah I'll end up with an awesome long and soft beard for my nephews to rip out!

Comment

Shave it and it will get thicker inshaAllah, no one wants a pubey beard

Comment

i have hair in 1/2 of my face,the thing is the beard is not soft.it is bushy.my hair is soft and follows with the air.the beard looks like a recently regrown public hair.

what can i do to soften my beard and inshalah one day grow a beautiful long soft beard.
                    رَّبِّ اغْفِرْ وَارْحَمْ وَأَنتَ خَيْرُ الرَّاحِمِينَ1

Comment

Originally posted by Strivingbro View Post
                      Shave it and it will get thicker inshaAllah, no one wants a pubey beard
                      I think this is an urban myth akhi ive tried it and nothing changes

Comment

Originally posted by Noom View Post
                        i have hair in 1/2 of my face,the thing is the beard is not soft.it is bushy.my hair is soft and follows with the air.the beard looks like a recently regrown public hair.

what can i do to soften my beard and inshalah one day grow a beautiful long soft beard.
                        The stringy hair nothing thats your beard genetics frm what i know someone correct me if im wrong
                        But you can condition it, oil it and groom it in a way that it looks less stringy go to a good barber shop

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post
                          No, I haven't, but I will now. I also heard black seed oil is good for it too, so I'm just going to order both now. Inshallah I'll end up with an awesome long and soft beard for my nephews to rip out!
                          Yeah for your nephews ;-) I hear you bro, I hear you! ;-)

Comment

Whether your beard is scraggly, scrawny, scruffy or sparse, or just a strand of hair, no problem, there's nothing wrong with it, so dont worry that your beard isnt looking good because whatever you have - will suit you :)

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X