No announcement yet.

So how can I train myself to eat less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how can I train myself to eat less?

Ramadan is coming up and one of the things that I am nervous for is overeating during iftar. Im going to try to in shaa Allah fit in 3 liters of water a day because that would help me eat less. Also, maybe trying to eat healthier food so that way I can have more energy and be full during my fast.

Re: So how can I train myself to eat less?

Ramadan Mubarak to you.

Three litres seem alot! Just eat slowly and with practise you will be able to eat less. Its more of a mental thing, so having in mind that you will eat less, helps.

Make sure you eat some veg on some days if not most.
    “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
      Ramadan Mubarak to you.

Three litres seem alot! Just eat slowly and with practise you will be able to eat less. Its more of a mental thing, so having in mind that you will eat less, helps.

Make sure you eat some veg on some days if not most.
      Ramadan Mubarak to you too sis, and that is good advice, it is more of a mental thing. 3 liters of water is alot but its actually good for you. I noticed when I did this my skin was clearer, and I had more energy.

Comment

As-Salaam-Alaikum Sister,

The problem with overeating is when you see so maaaaaany delicious food in front of you and you tell yourself “I need to eat all these food noooooow.” Sometimes mom or dad make a lot of your favourite dishes and you start grabbing everything in sight as though the food is going to disappear in 5 minutes (of course this can seriously happen when you have a large family). To stop myself from overeating or going crazy with the amount of food I see I tell my mom to make less food. So instead of making 10 dishes she’ll make 5 (which is enough for everyone). Another trick I use is to first eat, and once full I get up and pray for Maghrib. Anyone who has overeaten knows the struggle it is to pray when you’re overly full. Once you go back don’t sit down, instead start cleaning the kitchen. This will help you forget about the food and once you’re done cleaning the food will be out of sight since you’ve put everything away.
        Honestly though, once you break your fast and you take a few bits of food and drink some water you’ll notice that you’re full. There’s this misconception that you’ll eat a lot, but because you’ve been fasting all day you’re stomach shrinks and you won’t be able to consume as much as you wanted to. I normally have soup, salad with cheese, a cup of water, watermelon (if it’s in season), mango (in season), and 2 samosas. This always makes me full. Hopefully the two tips mentioned above helps you.

Comment

Salam,

Nice post to read, very interesting, it makes sense how to do it.. [MENTION=144004]Thestarsareshining[/MENTION].

Thanks, [MENTION=135002]Rea1234[/MENTION], yes I guess so, so are you drinking 2 or 3 litres atm?
          “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rea1234 View Post
            Ramadan is coming up and one of the things that I am nervous for is overeating during iftar. Im going to try to in shaa Allah fit in 3 liters of water a day because that would help me eat less. Also, maybe trying to eat healthier food so that way I can have more energy and be full during my fast.
            I've found the best way to train yourself to eat less takes time. You usually have to eat a little less every week, decreasing your food intake a little every week that follows. After a month, you will notice that you get fuller with less food because your stomach has reduced in size internally.

My only concern with 3 litres of water a day is that it might stretch the stomach internally, which will mean you will not get the full feeling as easily, so you may end up eating more.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
              I've found the best way to train yourself to eat less takes time. You usually have to eat a little less every week, decreasing your food intake a little every week that follows. After a month, you will notice that you get fuller with less food because your stomach has reduced in size internally.

My only concern with 3 litres of water a day is that it might stretch the stomach internally, which will mean you will not get the full feeling as easily, so you may end up eating more.
              This is interesting and good to know, because the stretching is something nobody wants, so have to be careful there. Rather not overdo, and go the moderate way. I suppose 2 litres but do you think that is much, at all?

Comment

This is interesting and good to know, because the stretching is something nobody wants, so have to be careful there. Rather not overdo, and go the moderate way. I suppose 2 litres but do you think that is much, at all?
                A normal human stomach can hold around 1 litre of liquids or about 2 cups of food -- even in the severely obese. When you eat more than this amount, your belly expands as if it were a balloon. With training -- repeated food binges -- your stomach expands more readily. The first few times you eat too much and overstretch your stomach, you might feel unbearable discomfort. Over several months of overeating, though, your stomach muscles become used to stretching, and that overextended feeling becomes the norm. That means you need more food to make you feel comfortably full -- and even more to become stuffed.
                Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...ed-my-stomach/

Drinking too much water will have the same stretching effect afaik. Having said that, everyone is different, 2 litres for "person a" might be fine, but too much for "person b".

Comment

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...ed-my-stomach/

Drinking too much water will have the same stretching effect afaik. Having said that, everyone is different, 2 litres for "person a" might be fine, but too much for "person b".
                  That explains why obese people continue to eat and eat and they think they are still hungry, but meantime they trained themselves to eat large amounts of food.

Yes rather drink a fair amount of water that will be comfortable to drink through out the day.

How many litres do you drink?

Comment

Originally posted by Thestarsareshining View Post
                    As-Salaam-Alaikum Sister,

The problem with overeating is when you see so maaaaaany delicious food in front of you and you tell yourself “I need to eat all these food noooooow.” Sometimes mom or dad make a lot of your favourite dishes and you start grabbing everything in sight as though the food is going to disappear in 5 minutes (of course this can seriously happen when you have a large family). To stop myself from overeating or going crazy with the amount of food I see I tell my mom to make less food. So instead of making 10 dishes she’ll make 5 (which is enough for everyone). Another trick I use is to first eat, and once full I get up and pray for Maghrib. Anyone who has overeaten knows the struggle it is to pray when you’re overly full. Once you go back don’t sit down, instead start cleaning the kitchen. This will help you forget about the food and once you’re done cleaning the food will be out of sight since you’ve put everything away.
                    Honestly though, once you break your fast and you take a few bits of food and drink some water you’ll notice that you’re full. There’s this misconception that you’ll eat a lot, but because you’ve been fasting all day you’re stomach shrinks and you won’t be able to consume as much as you wanted to. I normally have soup, salad with cheese, a cup of water, watermelon (if it’s in season), mango (in season), and 2 samosas. This always makes me full. Hopefully the two tips mentioned above helps you.
                    Yeah the dinner table at iftar has more variety than dinner at other times of the year. I don't think it's supposed to be this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
                      Yeah the dinner table at iftar has more variety than dinner at other times of the year. I don't think it's supposed to be this way.
                      lol, before Ramadhan started we had my dad lecturing us on cooking as little as possible during Ramadhan... I don't know why there has to be varieties of everything!!
                      * typing from my phone, excuse the mess

Comment

How many litres do you drink?
                        Not 100% sure if I'm honest. However, now thinking about it, I think I average around 1.5 litres a day. What is this guesstimate based on? I usually have around 1 to 2 glasses of water per meal, and each of my glasses is around 350ml. I probably have closer to 1 litre on colder days and closer to 2 litres on warmer days.
                        Last edited by oshirowanen; 29-05-17, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by malleat1 View Post
                          lol, before Ramadhan started we had my dad lecturing us on cooking as little as possible during Ramadhan... I don't know why there has to be varieties of everything!!
                          Lol.

My mom has me shopping almost every day for new ingredients for yet another iftaar dish.

Comment

Not 100% sure if I'm honest. However, now thinking about it, I think I average around 1.5 litres a day. What is this guesstimate based on? I usually have around 1 to 2 glasses of water per meal, and each of my glasses is around 350ml. I probably have closer to 1 litre on colder days and closer to 2 litres on warmer days.
                            Yes I would assume its an estimate. Does the amount include like tea etc?

Thats a fair amount of water though. Too much water make me feel bloat. Is cold water better or would you say not too cold?

Comment

Yes I would assume its an estimate. Does the amount include like tea etc?

Thats a fair amount of water though. Too much water make me feel bloat. Is cold water better or would you say not too cold?
                              Interesting question, and I have no idea. Having said that, this makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X