Is wearing expensive clothing haram?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hassan246
    started a topic Is wearing expensive clothing haram?

Is wearing expensive clothing haram?

I was told that men wearing expensive clothing is a sign of arrogance, therefore it should be avoided.

• `Mohammed
    replied
    Re: Is wearing expensive clothing haram?

Depends on what you're paying for. Are you buying it as a status symbol or is it expensive because of the quality of the clothes and because you like how it looks/feels

Leave a comment:

• Creamcake
    replied

Originally posted by itsgiise View Post
    " "Arrogance & pride is when one rejects the truth and despises people."
    The Messenger pbuh makes it clear that wearing the best of clothing, living in the best of homes, using the best of vehicles etc does NOT mean that one is proud or arrogant.
    However, when one denies the truth & belittles others thinking he is above the law & others are inferior then such a person is proud and arrogant even if they are not wealthy!"

Mufti Ismail Menk.'
    jazakhallahu khairan
    i'd never dream of doing that.. I hate designer stuff and when ppl are extravagant for the sake of wasting money/brands. but like a lot of females, I like shopping sometimes..lol

Leave a comment:

• itsgiise
    replied

Originally posted by hassan246 View Post
    I was told that men wearing expensive clothing is a sign of arrogance, therefore it should be avoided.
    Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
    Good question, I have quite a few abayahs and loose cardis/shirts to wear ontop of these, I like buying ones I like/are nice (imo) and that are obv modest and loose too (and not bright/attractive, since that defeats the purpose), is it wrong for me to continue buying? if I see one that I like?

" "Arrogance & pride is when one rejects the truth and despises people."
    The Messenger pbuh makes it clear that wearing the best of clothing, living in the best of homes, using the best of vehicles etc does NOT mean that one is proud or arrogant.
    However, when one denies the truth & belittles others thinking he is above the law & others are inferior then such a person is proud and arrogant even if they are not wealthy!"

Mufti Ismail Menk.'

Leave a comment:

• Morose
    replied

Buying for the sake of it being expensive is stupid.

You wear clothes that are respectable. That means no logos, no type prints, no bold colours, no tight fitted stuff, no hoodies, no track suits, no jeans, no cropped trousers which let's be real looks like women's clothing, no trainers.

Just wear simple but smart clothing. The price doesn't matter so as long as it's not considered extravagant. For example, £300 for a jumper, that's stupid and a waste. But I swear I hate those idiots who'll wear something with a logo, for the sake of the logo.

Leave a comment:

• Abu Abdur_Rahman
    replied

What is haram is extravagance, overspending, squandering wealth, etc. Buying what you don't need may fall into this.

And expensive clothing is all subjective. It goes back to the customs and culture of a country/society.

"Cheap" brands or clothing are not worth wearing in my opinion. Usually the expensive ones are high quality and fit well. That doesn't mean you should spend full price on them. I don't think most people pay full price but they buy them on sale.

It also goes back to your intention. To wear a certain name brand just to have it or to show off, then I think the answer is clear.

Leave a comment:

• Creamcake
    replied

Good question, I have quite a few abayahs and loose cardis/shirts to wear ontop of these, I like buying ones I like/are nice (imo) and that are obv modest and loose too (and not bright/attractive, since that defeats the purpose), is it wrong for me to continue buying? if I see one that I like?

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied

It isn't haram, but bear in mind everyone is held accountable for how we spend our wealth so it is better to avoid extravagance.

Leave a comment:

• Abu Jarir
    replied

Originally posted by hassan246 View Post
    :salams
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7NSn2wdvyQ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X