Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info about permissibility of going into nursing in mixed environment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info about permissibility of going into nursing in mixed environment?

:salams:

I've tried many times to get a fatwa and have searched online but with little avail (vague answers were given). I'm very confused about the permissibility of going into nursing knowing I'll have to work in mixed environment (segregated hospitals are rare anywhere across the world).

At the time of the Prophet sallah Allahu 'alayhe wa sallam there were nurses and also I believe there is benefit in the job because it's helping sick people (I've always wanted to help people).

For example this 2 minute video of the shaykh talking about nursing is very confusing to me.
    He says it's rewarding at first but says there's mixing and it's better to be in all woman's facility. There's no clear cut answer in the video.

Link: https://youtu.be/sQuSqOEjYow

Also there is a heavy need for good nurses especially since the work involved working with the sick and needy unlike working in a company and I think to myself, if it's haram, then there will be no nurses in hospitals. Some permit mixed environments

http://en.islamtoday.net/node/1519

Does anyone know the ruling or have useful links? Even IslamQA is confusing because one post says one thing and another says another.

In my heart I feel it's fine so long as I don't interact with men casually plus there is a psychological boundary set when men see a woman with a proper hijab (no makeup, loose clothing, etc) and men even don't directly touch my hand when giving change.

Re: Any info about permissibility of going into nursing in mixed environment?

Wa alaikum salam

If you are going to do it the right way then go for it, because it is a good and needed profession.

Different work is suited to different people, so if you are talented in that work then do it, because its not simply a 'job', but helping people.
    “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
      Wa alaikum salam

If you are going to do it the right way then go for it, because it is a good and needed profession.

Different work is suited to different people, so if you are talented in that work then do it, because its not simply a 'job', but helping people.
      Jazaki Allah

But my problem is whether it's permissible. I'm also concerned with scrubs because I cannot wear a skirt so I wonder if sizing up on scrubs to hide my shape would be permissible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah5 View Post
        :salams:

I've tried many times to get a fatwa and have searched online but with little avail (vague answers were given). I'm very confused about the permissibility of going into nursing knowing I'll have to work in mixed environment (segregated hospitals are rare anywhere across the world).

At the time of the Prophet sallah Allahu 'alayhe wa sallam there were nurses and also I believe there is benefit in the job because it's helping sick people (I've always wanted to help people).

For example this 2 minute video of the shaykh talking about nursing is very confusing to me.
        He says it's rewarding at first but says there's mixing and it's better to be in all woman's facility. There's no clear cut answer in the video.

Link: https://youtu.be/sQuSqOEjYow

Also there is a heavy need for good nurses especially since the work involved working with the sick and needy unlike working in a company and I think to myself, if it's haram, then there will be no nurses in hospitals. Some permit mixed environments

http://en.islamtoday.net/node/1519

Does anyone know the ruling or have useful links? Even IslamQA is confusing because one post says one thing and another says another.

In my heart I feel it's fine so long as I don't interact with men casually plus there is a psychological boundary set when men see a woman with a proper hijab (no makeup, loose clothing, etc) and men even don't directly touch my hand when giving change.
        I'm going through the same problem. In shaa Allah I will be going to University soon even though I kinda don't want to. I plan to go into nursing but I did often wonder what I could wear. They have scrub skirts but still its a hassle. I dont know what to do. May Allah help us out with his and make it easy for us.

Comment

Jazaki Allah

But my problem is whether it's permissible. I'm also concerned with scrubs because I cannot wear a skirt so I wonder if sizing up on scrubs to hide my shape would be permissible.
          Originally posted by Rea1234 View Post
          I'm going through the same problem. In shaa Allah I will be going to University soon even though I kinda don't want to. I plan to go into nursing but I did often wonder what I could wear. They have scrub skirts but still its a hassle. I dont know what to do. May Allah help us out with his and make it easy for us.
          Ok; as a general rule, Islam always takes the benefit of humanity into consideration, so if you are observing strict modesty then why not?

Being a nurse or doctor is not an ordinary job. It is a noble profession which must be encouraged for the sisters so they can help out whoever needs help.
          “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Comment

Jazaki Allah

How about wearing long sleeves and very loose pants? That should do the trick.

Comment

In the link the sheikh says it is rewarding but because of mixed environment it is not recommended.

Sister I know you are looking for an Islamic ruling which outlines its permissibilty, however I am using common sense here and even if it means working the night it is fine because nursing cannot be compared to other normal jobs, so yes Im sure there are Islamic opinions supporting this thought.

You use your descretion and not mix unecessarily, and upkeeping modest behaviour at all times.

Male patients should be treated by male nurses but if non is available then you can treat them.

Comment

In the link the sheikh says it is rewarding but because of mixed environment it is not recommended.

Sister I know you are looking for an Islamic ruling which outlines its permissibilty, however I am using common sense here and even if it means working the night it is fine because nursing cannot be compared to other normal jobs, so yes Im sure there are Islamic opinions supporting this thought.

You use your descretion and not mix unecessarily, and upkeeping modest behaviour at all times.

Male patients should be treated by male nurses but if non is available then you can treat them.
                Jazaki Allah, right now it's just a thought, I still have a long while before actually starting to pursue this. Allahu a'lam if this is meant for me but I feel a type of calling to this.

Comment

Jazaki Allah, right now it's just a thought, I still have a long while before actually starting to pursue this. Allahu a'lam if this is meant for me but I feel a type of calling to this.
                  Ameen! May it be a reality, and your wishes are fulfilled.

I really wish and hope that, through you, a countless number of people will have been taken proper care of, insha'allah.

Comment

Ameen! May it be a reality, and your wishes are fulfilled.

I really wish and hope that, through you, a countless number of people will have been taken proper care of, insha'allah.
                    Jazaki Allah for your supportive words and kindness. May Allah sub'anaho wa ta'ala grant you jannatul firdous !

Comment

You could become a paediatric nurse.

Comment

Originally posted by Medic View Post
                        You could become a paediatric nurse.
                        Jazaka Allah, if I ever decide to pursue nursing, ofcourse, my priority specialty would be with women,kids or both. Problem is I do not believe scholarship contracts allow for such specialty due to the shortage, however, I'd ask in sha'a Allah

Comment

Jazaki Allah for your supportive words and kindness. May Allah sub'anaho wa ta'ala grant you jannatul firdous !
                          Ameen, you are most welcome; and I wish the same for you too.

Comment

Working...
                          X