Clear All

Re: Wearing turban (forgotten sunnah)

Nvm, that's while on Hajj.

Comment

Originally posted by JoNaEl View Post
      Nvm, that's while on Hajj.
      Good.
      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by JoNaEl View Post
        I haven't found anything about this being obligatory
        No one said it's obligatory dear brother. What is being said is that wearing the turban is a precious and blessed practice of our Beloved Nabi :saw: , so it's a Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by mazuiz View Post
          No one said it's obligatory dear brother. What is being said is that wearing the turban is a precious and blessed practice of our Beloved Nabi :saw: , so it's a Sunnah.
          I sometimes wear one, especially on Eid. Funny thing is you'll always get some brothers trying to put you off, one even went as far as to call it the dress of the people of innovation, one guy even told me this whilst wearing a baseball cap,
          another said I shouldn't wear my black imamah because it's the dress of the shi'a.

The sunnah has become something strange to the people and one of the things I love and respect about the TJ is the way they don't have any shyness in wearing the sunnah dress.
          FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Oooooh, :jkk:

Comment

AW: Wearing turban (forgotten sunnah)

I remember reading one narration that specifically recommended wrapping the turban because it increases some quality like fortitude or concentration. It was definitely worded as a something in between a command and a recommendation ..."wrap the turban".

Many these days, like the azhari folks have pre wrapped turbans. Often turbans today are missing the tail but clearly from the hadith the tail is important.

The Islamqa cannot say it is sunnah for the exact reason observed- Saudi state ulama have uniforms, and the turban is not part of the uniform. To admit that it is sunnah would be a step towards discrediting the religious establishment in Saudi.

I read some hadith that mentioned that the turbans of the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wasalam) were either 8 or 12 arms lengths long. I know I read somewhere they were long enough that you could tie a goat to a tree with one and the goat would still have room to walk. An arms length would have to be about a meter so I was thinking recently if you got stuck on the second floor in a burning building you could use one to tie to something and climb out the window.

Practically, I realized when I was reading about the sunnah of carrying a stick, that the stick serves not only to help with balance and walking and to impart an air of dignity, but also that it was just not prudent or socially acceptable for a man to ever go out without a weapon. A stick was a light weapon but when we think of how many hadith there are where sahaba, Radhi Allahu anhum, are beaten, it makes sense to carry a stick.

The turban, if you actually put one on, you realize it really could absorb some serious hits. That amount of fabric wrapped around your head provides major cushioning. Even if you are hit so hard on the head as to draw blood, the fabric will absorb the blood and keep your eyes clear, and having your eyes fill with blood and momentarily losing your vision in a combat situation could be the difference between life and death.

One way of wrapping the turban is under the chin too, and it can easily be adapted to cover the mouth to avoid breathing dust, especially important if there are a group of riders and you are not in front. Another advantage is if you are dripping sweat, the tail can be used to mop it up, although it will already absorb the sweat.

Of course these are all details the scholars of today sitting in their air conditioned musalas don't like to talk about.

The thing is, as we grow closer to the sunnah in our lives, the sunnah also becomes increasingly relevant. If we actually start to enjoin good and forbid evil we are going to make enemies, and carrying a stick could become a way to determine opportunists who might like to jump us.

Even in a gun battle it is possible to get grazed on the head, in which case a turban could keep the blood from going in the eyes.

Jazahu Allahu khair to the brother who started this topic, may Allah facilitate you in reviving this and many more beautiful sunnah of our beloved, sal Allahu alaihi wasalam.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post
                I sometimes wear one, especially on Eid. Funny thing is you'll always get some brothers trying to put you off, one even went as far as to call it the dress of the people of innovation, one guy even told me this whilst wearing a baseball cap,
                another said I shouldn't wear my black imamah because it's the dress of the shi'a.

The sunnah has become something strange to the people and one of the things I love and respect about the TJ is the way they don't have any shyness in wearing the sunnah dress.
                SubhanAllah. Salafis should wear turbans more, so people don't think it's a Sufi thing. It was the dress of our Nabi :saw: .
                May Allah keep you steadfast and blessed gingerbearded bro :up:

Comment

SubhanAllah. Salafis should wear turbans more, so people don't think it's a Sufi thing. It was the dress of our Nabi :saw: .
                  May Allah keep you steadfast and blessed gingerbearded bro :up:
                  The sheikh Khalid Hussainan I think has an excellent example of wearing a sunnah turban. Tablighi jamat and sufis wear turbans but not according to sunnah- the original sunnah turban is almost 10 meters long so it is wrapped many times and there is still a tail left over after. The turban can absorb not only sweat but also blood from a blow to the head and keep the eyes free of blood which could be a lifesaver. If you wrap that much cloth around your head someone can throw a rock at your head or swing a stick at your head and it would feel like nothing.. also if you were to wear it under a helmet it would prevent chafing and make the helmet more comfortable. It also shades the eyes at this sickness because without him out of cloth wrapped around the head it does create a brim of shade on the face. With that length of cloth it can also easily be wrapped around the face to absorb dust when riding.

If you do a search for "Khalid husainan" (rahimulllah) on archive.org and see his eid khutba from I think 1428, or his message to Barack Obama you can see how he wears it... it is as close to the sunnah as I think I have seen someone wear it these days from my understanding of the hadith about the turban. I would post links but I think one of the videos might be produced by as sahaba media, and since I am new on this forum I don't know if that is allowed. Educational in any case.

Comment

I wear a turban MashAllah, I love it and it's even easier to hide hair if you don't feel like messing with hair. There's many ways to wrap it by the Sunnah, different colours, and you will even get respect from the most unexpected people. InshAllah please follow the Sunnah

Comment

Bump.

I want to wear mine, but I don't know if I should iron it, and every time I'm about to, i chicken out. May Almighty Allah give us tawfeeq.

Comment

Just to differentiate,

Wearing the turban is more of a sunnah fieliya. It's not something the Prophet himself recommended us to do, but it was something he was going.

You're not really losing anything nor should you be called out for not wearing a turban.
                        Stop being apologetic to Kuffars!

If I don't engage with you or reply to any of your question, it's likely because I find you racist and a total waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post

Just to clarify, it's not devislh for an individual to tell you to stop wearing the turban if indeed Shias are the only one wearing the turban in your community or sufis.

Wearing a turban is sunnah fileiya, something the prophet himself used to do but its not a sunnah that he himself asked us to do.

In fact, many scholars from the salaf today say that if its not worn in community, don't wear it.
                          Stop being apologetic to Kuffars!

If I don't engage with you or reply to any of your question, it's likely because I find you racist and a total waste of time.

Comment

I struggle to tie and up end looking hideous.

Can Brothers share some advice on how to tie?

Comment

Bump

I started wearing one on Jumu'ahs.

Comment

[MENTION=139790]Ekoor[/MENTION]

Have you used a mirror?

Comment

Working...
                                X