Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everyones opinion on reverts changing names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is everyones opinion on reverts changing names?

I am an irish revert, but I kept my name Irena. I like it because it displays my irish heritage which I like :).

Do you think it is a big deal to change or not change your name?

Side note, isn't the most popular name in london Muhammed now lol?

Thirdly, can we still give our children irish middle names? lol

Re: What is everyones opinion on reverts changing names?

It's not the name that needs to change, its what's inside"
    I wanna answer your questions but I dunno

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMuslimah View Post
      I am an irish revert, but I kept my name Irena. I like it because it displays my irish heritage which I like :).

I think you can keep it so long as it does not have an unislamic meaning. For instance, if you were named after a Greek goddess or something you would need to change it.

Comment

It's not required unless your name has a pagan origin, but there are some benefits in doing so, as helps create a break in your mindset, between past and present.

You shouldn't change your surname however as that shows your lineage which is a right of your family, and of the offspring.
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

:salams
          you need to change it if it is a bad word like if you were calmlen vanithy or something
          but changing the last name is not allowed

Al-Bukhaari (3508) and Muslim (61) narrated from Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Any man who knowingly attributes himself to someone other than his father is guilty of kufr. Whoever claims to belong to a people when he has nothing to do with them, let him take his place in Hell.”

i think thats important to know cus some cultures take the husbands name
          يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Very pretty name. The meaning of the name is PEACE.

Top 10 names in London
            Muhammad.
            Oliver.
            Alexander.
            Daniel.
            Joshua.
            James.
            Adam.
            George.
            To your second point - why would you not want to give your child a beautiful Islamic name? Here are some names

The first (best) category is the names ‘Abd-Allaah and ‘Abd al-Rahmaan. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most beloved of names to Allaah are ‘Abd-Allaah and ‘Abd al-Rahmaan.” (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, 1398).
            Girl names

Aaminah – means one who has peace of mind and is not afraid

Shayma’ – a woman of virtue :o

Arwa – feminine of wa’l (mountain goat), meaning beautiful and radiant

‘Aa’ishah – one who is alive

Asma’ – it was said that it is derived from wasaamah (elegance) or from samw which means loftiness or eminence

Reem – a gazelle which is very white

‘Aaliyah – derived from words meaning high status and eminence

Juwayriyah – the name of one of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Rahmah – mercy, kindness, compassion

Basmah – smile, an expression of happiness

Razaan – dignity among women

‘Afaaf – derived from ‘iffah, meaning chastity, purity

Zaynab – a tree with a good scent

Saarah – brings joy to one’s hearts

Maymoonah – a blessed woman

Raaniyah – one with a fixed gaze

Su’aad – guidance, good fortune, blessings; the opposite of misery

Maryam – a Hebrew name meaning exalted or mistress of the sea

Salma – a slender woman, also derived from salaamah (security)

Noorah – light

Sumayyah – sound and of high status

Haajir – good and superior to others

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
            , if you were named after a Greek goddess or something you would need to change it.
            It was a greek goddess but the meaning of her name is peace
            Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

hmm... My name is very bangali and not arabic.

Comment

you can keep your name as well as Muslim name.
                E.g.

A'isha irena
                or
                Hafsa irena
                or
                Aasiya irena
                or
                Bareerah irena
                or
                Ilma irena

etc

Comment

If it's the name of a false goddess then I think she should change it regardless of its literal meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
                    If it's the name of a false goddess then I think she should change it regardless of its literal meaning.
                    I read from scholars if it is a name attached to national pride we should change it.

Some scholars say it is advantageous to keep a western name.

Comment

U don't need to change it name sis :love: keep It, it's ur identity. The only time people should change their name is if their name has some offensive (to islam) meaning to it.
                      "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

"Nothing protects the rights of the minority like the tyranny of the majority"

Comment

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

That's a nice name! I didn't change my name either as I didn't see any need for it.
                        From the different stories I've read the only names that had to be changed were those with a 'bad' meaning as in a forbidden or undesirable meaning.
                        So as long as a name has a good meaning then I agree with you on keeping it.
                        Plus your third point.. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with giving your child a 'good' Irish name (i.e. with a good meaning). You're Irish so why not?

Comment

Working...
                        X