Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to maintain your hifdh?

:salams:

A few questions for the huffadh and those who have memorized a large portion of the Qur'an. How do you revise/maintain your hifdh? Do you have a routine that you stick to?

- How many pages/surah/ajza' do you revise in a day?

- How do you keep yourself disciplined and motivated in your revision?

I'm struggling with the above right now, even though I try to revise everyday, I can't keep to the same amount of pages each time, and I really wish to improve and be consistent in this.

Please share tips / motivation / encouragement on maintaining your memorization.

:jkk:

Re: How to maintain your hifdh?

Originally posted by lonelyniqabi View Post

A few questions for the huffadh and those who have memorized a large portion of the Qur'an. How do you revise/maintain your hifdh? Do you have a routine that you stick to?

I'm struggling with the above right now, even though I try to revise everyday, I can't keep to the same amount of pages each time, and I really wish to improve and be consistent in this.

Please share tips / motivation / encouragement on maintaining your memorization.

:wswrwb:

Every Muslim should have a daily portion (wird) of Qur'an that they recite/memorise. This is more important for those who have memorised the Qur'an or are in the process.

A haafith ideally should revise 2 juz a day to retain his hifth. As for those who are still memorising, the amount they revise per day depends on how much they memorised so they should scale it with their existing hifth. A good way to retain what you've memorised is to not only stick to reading but to apply the hifth in your 'Ibaadah such as reciting your daily hifth in Salah. Another very good way to retain your hifth is to have a partner who will test you and you test them, that way you'll always strengthen what you memorised and listening to your partner will also help to keep the hifth.

How to keep motivated? Insaan were created weak and in a state of forgetfulness so we can lose our energy quick and burn out but the trick is to keep a realistic amount of hifth/recitation no matter how small everyday but it has to be consistent. Consistency leads to results and results upkeep the motivation. As mentioned earlier, keep a partner to do hifth with you and you can compete with each other. That is one of the best ways to keep your motivation and energy up.

With regards to the amount to memorise, you know your ability and how much is realistic for you. Choose a practical amount for you that will enable consistency even if it's just a line or 2. The most important thing is to be consistent and retain what you memorise as you go along. Little amounts for a beginner is advised and then you'll see as you get the hang of it and keep memorising, your ability to memorise will increase as youll feel that the time it takes for you to memorise that particular portion will decrease hence you'll be able to increase the portions till hifth will become a lot more effortless.

Lastly, don't forget to increase your 'Ibaadaat and specifically du'a for Allah swt doesn't give his words to everyone, He swt chooses who will hold the Qur'an in their heart.

May Allah swt make us from the people of Qur'an.

Comment

Read the Surahs you memorized in your salaat
      وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I heard a sheikh said read your portion like fifty times over and over, before sleeping, next morning you will remember that.
        “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

wa alaikom salam
          I once find thisI hope it helps you.........

How to Memorize the Quran and Never Forget it

The Prophet said:

It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: Recite and rise in status, recite as you used to recite in the world, for your status will be at the last verse that you recite.

This tradition has been recorded in both Tirmidi Shareef and Sunan Abi Dawood and has been classified as Sahih (authentic) by the late Muhaddith (Scholar of Hadith) Sheikh Al-albani.

The word Companion in this Hadith has been understood to mean a person who has memorized the Quran. As is evident by the following words of the Hadith "Recite and rise in status" that with each memorized Verse which a person recites, he will rise a rank in Paradise.

The Quran has more than 6000 Verses. Imagine how many ranks a person who has memorized the Quran will rise in Paradise. Not only this. Such a person will be in the company if the noble Angels as the Prophet has mentioned in the following authentic Tradition:

The likeness of the one who reads Qur’aan and memorizes it is that he is with the righteous honorable scribes. The likeness of the one who reads it and tries hard to memorize it even though it is difficult for him, he will have two rewards.

Additionally, just consider for a moment the joy of knowing that one has the Words of God, the all powerful and Supreme Ruler of all that exists, in his heart. The Words of a Being the likeness of whom does not exist. Truly, it is a feeling that cannot be described in words.
          Of course, Memorizing the Quran appears to be a daunting task. This is especially true if you do not know how to go about Memorizing such a large Book.

My story

It took me 10 years to Memorize the Quran. This was because of lack of knowledge of proper memorizing technique. I used the technique used in Islamic Madrassas. Unfortunately, this technique did not suit a person like me who had horrible memory.

God has blessed me with a strong short term memory but my long term memory is the worst on the planet. After having memorized 20 Juz I fell ill due to a mental illness. After I recovered I had pretty much given up all hope of memorizing the Quran. However, God had ordained that I memorize it so I ended up doing so.

Nevertheless, after I memorized it I was faced with the problem of transferring what I had learned into my long term memory. It was then that God guided me to a technique which has been known to cognitive psychologists for a long time. A technique I used and am still using to transfer what I have memories into my long term memory and it has worked wonders.

Spaced Repetition

Spaced Repetition is a technique in which a person practices recalling what he has memorized at intervals of increasing time. Dong so transfers what one has memorized into long term memory. For those interested in reading about this phenomenon in detail I would recommend the following website.

Spaced Repetition Details

For those who do not have the time to understand this phenomenon just remember this. If you want to transfer information into long term you need to recall the information just when you are about to forget it. After each time you recall it the next interval required for recall the information in order to prevent forgetfulness increases. Eventually, a time comes when you only have to recall what you have memorized once a year!

At this point you are probably wondering how does one know when one is about to forget what he or she has memorized. Well, this is based on a formula which was devised by a Polish scientist after extensive research and experimentation. The formula is implemented by free software such as Anki. You can use this software to schedule when to remind you to recall what you have memorized from the Quran.

My Experience

Prior to using spaced repetition, it would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to review a page I had memorized. However, with the help of spaced repetition I was able to review a page within 3 to 5 minutes and a complete Juz within one to one and a half hour! And this was for a guy like me who has horrible memory. And the best part is that I felt no tension while reviewing.

Memorizing the Quran had become so easy!

This technique is often used by people who learn languages and need to memorize large lists of vocabulary. Psychologists are shocked that schools do not implement spaced repetition to teach information. They say not using this system despite the research which supports its effectiveness is like a person who has weak eyesight but refuses to wear glasses despite knowing that glasses can help him see properly!

Anki

Anki is a free program which you can use to memorize the Quran. It implements spaced repetition. It is available for free for both computers and android devices. Install it on your android phone and revise the Quran whenever you have free time anywhere!

Using Anki is simple. Once you have downloaded the software you just need to create flashcards for what you have memorized. How I do this is that I put a page of the Quran I have memorized into the Back of the Card and the page before that into the Front of the card. Then I enter the phrase "Recite the page which follows" in the Front of the card. Whenever, it is time to review the page, the program shows me the Front of the card and I see the "Review Next Page" command and I try to recall what I have memorized.

If you find using software difficult then you can implement spaced repletion manually for what you have memorized. Simply follow this formula. Whenever you memorize a portion of the Quran, review it 1 day after you have memorized it. Then review it after 3 days.

After that take the last interval which in this case is 3 days, divide it by 2, round it up, and then add the result to the previous interval to get the next interval. So in this case the next interval would be 5 days since 3 divided by 2 is 1.5. Round it up and you get 2. Add that to 3 and you get 5.

When you revise on the 5th day then to get the next interval divide 5 by 2 and you get 2.5. Round it up and you get 3. Add that to 5 and you have 8 days which is the next interval.

After eight days to get the next interval divide 8 by 2 and you get 4. Add 4 to 8 and you get 12 days which is the next interval.

Using this method you will Insha Allah never forget the Quran and you will feel no pressure when reviewing.

Note: In case you cannot completely recall what you have memorized don't hesitate to look at what you have missed. With time whatever you have memorized will become a part of long term memory and you will not forget anything!

For detailed instructions on how to use Anki here is the manual for the program
          . There are also other programs you can use for spaced repetition but I found this one to be the best. If you have any questions on how to use the program or spaced repetition simply ask in this thread and I will tyr to answer them!

Comment

:jkk: everyone for the advice.

I was hoping for personal experiences instead of general advice, i.e tips or routine that works for you, specifically when you have large of amount revision to go through. But khair, InshaAllah.

[MENTION=130730]Rumaysah~[/MENTION] @islamuslim

Comment

:jkk: everyone for the advice.

I was hoping for personal experiences instead of general advice, i.e tips or routine that works for you, specifically when you have large of amount revision to go through. But khair, InshaAllah.

[MENTION=130730]Rumaysah~[/MENTION] @islamuslim
              The best advice I have gotten is to memorise the pages properly to start with until you can recite it with zero mistakes and with no effort.
              Revision then becomes so much easier. The things I memorized when younger are still with me because I used to do small portions with a lot of repetition, we also would review everything we had done at least once a week. So I found that now all I have to do is read over it a few times.

The parts I memorised when older where not memorised to the same quality so I'm stuck in a cycle of endless review correcting mistakes myself lol

I learnt that you can't rely on motivation, motivation will come sometimes and leave you at other times. You need to make it a habit, that's the only thing you can rely on to get you through till the end. Sheikh Abdul rashid Ali Sufi said something in somali which stuck with me once, something along the lines of "no matter what, recite your portion. even if you are really tired and your life problems are getting on top of you, don't put your side down (to rest/sleep) until you get that portion of quran done. You have to force yourself"

Sometimes that's all it is, you just have to force yourself.
              شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
              فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
              وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
              ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
                Sheikh Abdul rashid Ali Sufi said something in somali which stuck with me once, something along the lines of "no matter what, recite your portion. even if you are really tired and your life problems are getting on top of you, don't put your side down (to rest/sleep) until you get that portion of quran done. You have to force yourself"

Sometimes that's all it is, you just have to force yourself.
                So true sis, :jkk:

I'm so tired of all the excuses I make for myself. If one listens to the whispers of shaitan, then what else does one expect.

Comment

Some good tips on here.

But the best I can think of is to have one set time everyday.

Secondly, to listen to the Quran from one reciter. Listening to the Quran in general will motivate a person and draw their heart closer to the Quran.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Basheer View Post
                    Some good tips on here.

But the best I can think of is to have one set time everyday.

Secondly, to listen to the Quran from one reciter. Listening to the Quran in general will motivate a person and draw their heart closer to the Quran.
                    This basically.

I think especially around this time of year revising between salat al asr and Maghrib is the most convenient because you have the time on your side. And then review what you revised the day before after Fajr since that is the best time for Qur'an as Allah says ان قرءان الفجر كان مشهوداً
                    Don't leave it until night because you will likely be tired and unable to concentrate.

Listening to the Qur'an on audio really helps me too because whenever I go over a certain surah the qari's recitation comes to mind. Read along with him too.

It would be much easier if you had someone you could revise with. That way you could motivate each other and I think it'll be fun. I wish I had someone too :(.

Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said: "Take care of the Quran (by memorising it). I swear by the One in whose Hand is my soul that it is easier to slip away from you than the camels from their shackles." [Al-Bukhari & Muslim]
                    Last edited by islamuslim; 29-03-17, 11:21 PM.
                    إن الصلاة تنهى عن الفحشاء والمنكر

Comment

SubhanAllah, this is an important thread for me also
                      My teacher always told me to read at the time before fajr, I'm still lacking in this but it really helps. The Quran you recite or try to recite in tahajjud salah really sticks in your mind.
                      Also when I read if I think about the fact that these words revealed by Allah and are directly from Allah, just to guide us, and that they are the best words and are noor and hidaya for us, it really gives you the passion to recite.
                      The main thing is to read everyday, if you can't do a whole juz you can start small and slowly increase daily. Even if your not conciously revising it and placing it in your memory, just reading a consistent portion is super crucial
                      Qur'an is nourishment for the souls, Allahu Akbar

Comment

Another question:

- If you revise 1-2 juz' a day, is it better to do it chronologically, or should you split it up between different chapters, i.e. Juz 1 and 29, or half of each?

- At what point do you move on to the next portion when revising? Is it when you're able to recite the whole chapter 100% without mistakes? Or is to okay to move on at like 90%?

Comment

Another question:

- If you revise 1-2 juz' a day, is it better to do it chronologically, or should you split it up between different chapters, i.e. Juz 1 and 29, or half of each?

- At what point do you move on to the next portion when revising? Is it when you're able to recite the whole chapter 100% without mistakes? Or is to okay to move on at like 90%?

1) There is no solution. Remembers some students used to read Hizb from different juzz, while other read chronologically.
                          ultimately the goal is to revise.

A good method we used is: we sit in a circle where every single student reads one ayat. Very EFFECTIVE Method

2) See it as a longer project. You will not be able 100% at once, but it gets easier with time. I used to go ahead even though I managed 80%, anyway I would return back after 10-20 days
                          No one who has learned Qurān and then forgotten it except due to a sin he has committed

Comment

I usually do 1 from the back and one from the front
                            What ibn taym said, about the second part

Comment

Bump
                              رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Working...
                              X