Too much joking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much joking

It's a bad thing to joke excessively, is it not? What are the dangers of it and why is it bad?

It's good to be happy.

Re: Too much joking

An-Nawawi said, “Forbidden joking is that which is excessive and persistent, for it leads to too much laughter and hardening of the heart, it distracts from the remembrance of Allah, and it often causes abuse, rancor, and lack of respect and dignity. As for those who are safe from these matters, then it permissible as it was done rarely by the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, for a good cause, cheering people up, and amusing them. This is a recommended prophetic tradition.” Source: Al-Adhkar 998
    قد كانت لكم أسوة حسنة في إبراهيم والذين معه إذ قالوا لقومهم إنا برآء منكم ومما تعبدون من دون الله كفرنا بكم وبدا بيننا وبينكم العداوة والبغضاء أبدا حتى تؤمنوا بالله وحده

Comment

It's true too much joking makes you think of the funny side of things all the time so then you get people who are always laughing and don't take anything seriously
      It all starts with a thought

Comment

https://islamqa.info/en/13732

Ruling on joking in Islam

---

Question:

What is the ruling on joking in our Islamic religion? Is it among the idle speech, knowing that it is not making fun of the religion? Please advise us, may Allaah reward you.

---

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with humorous talk and joking, if it is truthful, especially if it is not done a great deal. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to joke but he never said anything but that which was true. But if it involves telling lies, then it is not permissible, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woe to the one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh; woe to him, woe to him.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi and al-Nasaa’i with a jayyid isnaad. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

---

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Li’l-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 6/391

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post
          It's a bad thing to joke excessively, is it not? What are the dangers of it and why is it bad?

It's good to be happy.
          :salams

I think it's great to be happy. There many reasons for us to be happy. First and foremost we are muslims. We are upon the true religion from Allah , and not upon misguidance. Alhamdulillah.

You know the prophet(saws) had humour as well. His humour was not joking or lying though. He would say true things even through his humour. Even fiqh rulings are derived through the jokes he made!! There are books you can read regarding the humour of the prophet(saws)

I think a few things to keep in mind in general brothers and sisters. Firstly that this life is a very serious thing. Life is not a joke. One of our big goals in life is to avoid hell fire. Hell fire should cross your mind constantly. You should fear it , and hope that Allah will not send you there. The more you think of it , the less you will joke and the more serious you will become.

Anas ibn Maalik narrated that the Prophet (saaws) said to Jibreel: "Why is it that I have never seen Mikaeel laugh at all? He said,: “Mikaeel has never laughed since the Fire was created.”

"Indeed this fire of yours is only one seventieth of the fire of Jahannam, and it was put through the seas twice, were it not for that it would not have had any benefit for anyone."

the Prophet said, “Remember often the destroyer of pleasures. Never does a servant remember it during hardship except that it will become easier for him, and never does he not remember it during ease except that it will become harder for him.”

Subhan Allah

May Allah protect us , ameen.
          Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 22-03-17, 04:08 PM.

Comment

What classes as too much joking.. Where is the boundary between it being okay, and not okay anymore..
            This worries me, because sometimes I laugh and joke a lot in real life (not lie, of course)
            Of course I am serious about important matters and lots of other things as well.
            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record
            [al-Anaam 6:59]

Comment

Well atleast personal experience.

People get comfortable with you and might start talking about haraam stuff zina, drinking and nightouts.

People take you less seriously and you personally might have issue toughen up the group. This is important if you are leading a group as employee or as tutor. People lose respect for you and listen less to you.

Comment

:jkk: good reminder. Br Morose.
                And :jkk: Sr aidaalej for the second post.

In reply to Sr creamcake, maybe this is all relative to the individual...? Feeling hardness/distance inside of us, disturbance in our 'ibaadah, listening to our inner voice and it's reactions to things... Allahu A'lam.
                LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
                -------------------------------
                "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
                NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

No such thing, I prefer too much over too little. I love jokes
                  "And surely this brotherhood of your is a single brotherhood, and I am your Lord and Cherisher. Therefore fear Me and no other. But people have broken their religion into sects, each group rejoicing in that which is with them. But leave them in their confused ignorance for a time." (23:52-54)

Comment

it's bad to laugh too much; it weakens the heart

Comment

What if a person's entire life is a joke so all they can do is laugh?

:dig:

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpski View Post
                        It's true too much joking makes you think of the funny side of things all the time so then you get people who are always laughing and don't take anything seriously
                        There needs to exist a balance even if you're naturally talented when it comes to making people laugh.
                        "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

"Nothing protects the rights of the minority like the tyranny of the majority"

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post
                          What if a person's entire life is a joke so all they can do is laugh?

:dig:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Nuayman_ibn_Amr

This sahaba I believe is someone we can all relate to. Some exceptional people Allah created with a certain type of "weakness/ talent" that may even astound the normal set of clowns but subhanAllah, look. Islam is for everyone.
                          "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Comment

https://youtu.be/7TCCzKs3-bo

^ i highly advise everyone to learn about nuyaman ibn amr. This ummah needs to learn how to accommodate all personalities

Comment

Working...
                            X