Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does "practicing" mean to you?

:salams:

We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

D) Others (please specify)

Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?

Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-

Re: What does "practicing" mean to you?

:wswrwb:

Someone who has taqwa, fulfills the fardh, and is doing their best to follow the deen. They have a clear passion for Islam and use it as their measure for what is right and wrong.

As for your bonus question, I would not marry such a person.

Comment

I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal..
      Ya Rab! When you give me wealth, do not take away my happiness. When you give me strength, do not take away my intelligence. When you give me victory, do not take away my humility. When you give me humility, do not take away my dignity.

Comment

B.

Comment

Wa Alaykumussalam, I wouldn't marry someone who is not yet practising, but intends to do so. Especially if by not practising you mean like not following the Fardth, but then when do they start to intend doing so.. after marriage? If they were serious about it, they should start right this present moment.. nothing should change that dramatically in that respect, after marriage. They're doing it for Allah s.w.t, not for us.. Also imagine taking that risk and they don't start praying or don't truly change from within.. you're stuck, and your kids too.. The only exception to this is if they are a revert and have already reverted, and are learning currently how to pray and follow the pillars of Islam, imo that is entirely different, because they are starting to practice, and didn't before as they literally weren't Muslim.. so it's not like a born muslim neglecting Muslim.

In regards to the bulk of the question, I wouldn't want to consider A, as they listen to music, watch films, free mixing etc, all of which are big no no's. I would consider B, C and D. I would love to marry someone that is C, because being a student of knowledge, they will know more than me, and can teach me and our kids too, Insha ' Allah. I would prefer a student of knowledge or alim over a hafidth, if the person was just exclusively one, of course they may be both. Also, that's not a requirement for me, as I am not a student of knowledge or an aalima. Also, as long as they do the Fardth, and stay away from major and minor sins, I am happy. Someone who tries their best to follow the deen, and has taqwa in all elements of their life. Knowing that which is haram and halal as well as makrooh, and not only being interested in and following Islam to the best of their ability, but also striving to learn more.

So as well as the 5 pillars, they don't listen to music, free mix or watch movies. That they have a beard, don't think it's okay to take out a university loan (if they've done this themselves, I don't know whether I'd hold it against them or not though.. because people don't realise at the time sometimes), and ensuring they have a halal job, because there's jobs like bank ones and taxi driving ones and others, that I don't think are okay.. Also not wanting to take out a mortgage, things like not going to restaurants because they also serve alcohol (as a lot of halal restaurants here do that too) etc. Hopefully helping me to wear Niqaab too.. I wouldn't be doing this for the sake of them, it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but right now it's tough for me to do this, and there's stuff I want to change about myself before I start doing this (before marriage of course). Also someone who tries their best to follow the sunnahs in life, as well as the fardths. Also zero talking to the opposite gender except in necessity, like say we're at the supermarket and there's a female at the counter, and she says Hi to him, he better be lowering his gaze and not reply lol, let me reply instead.. is that taking things extreme, I don't know, but there you go:)
          Last edited by Creamcake; 21-03-17, 06:07 AM.
          And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
          [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post

Someone who has taqwa, fulfills the fardh, and is doing their best to follow the deen. They have a clear passion for Islam and use it as their measure for what is right and wrong.

As for your bonus question, I would not marry such a person.

How do you know if she has taqwa?

Comment

Originally posted by Deeni Akh View Post

B.

Why not C?

Comment

Originally posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
                :salams:

We always heard brothers and sisters here saying they want to find a practicing husband/wife, but what does that actually mean to you? Is it;

A) Someone who does the minimum fardh (5x salah, fast ramadhan, zakat, hijab, etc) but maybe lax in avoiding minor sins (free-mixing, movies, music, etc)

B) Someone who does fardh and nawafil, and avoid minor sins.

C) All of B + is a student of knowledge or a scholar or a hafidh/hafidha.

D) Others (please specify)

Bonus Q : Would you consider someone who intends to practice to be the same as one who's already practicing?

Disclaimer: this is not a "what would you prefer" thread. -_-
                A + B, abstains from major sin as well.

Comment

How do you know if she has taqwa?
                  Her actions are an indication.

Comment

Originally posted by -qed- View Post
                    I would consider someone to be practicing if they do all the faradh and mostly do sunnah and mark acts and also mostly do not actively do minor sins.

Also a big one for me is they do not eat HARAM food. I.e they actively check their food is halal.

I would not consider someone who is trying to be practicing the same as they're not the same. But in terms of marriage I would consider a potential if they did the faradh, showed strong faith and were trying to do more.

First question from me be like: soo what is your favourite McDonald's meal..
                    lol I was confused at first, but then I got it. You're trying to find out if they eat haram food, yes? That wouldn't work for me because McD here is halal. But that's a good point.

Comment

Someone who prays and is mindful of avoiding sins and all that is haraam, especially someone who has a genuine concern and passion for Allah Ta'aalaa and Islam.

Being okay with free-mixing, music, watching (most) movies would mean to me they aren't "practicing" (ie. practicing how I'd like to see them or myself), though they are of course practicing but engaged in a few serious sins.

(Question not addressed to me I know, but C would be 'very strongly practicing' or a similar description.)
                      Last edited by Fakhri; 21-03-17, 06:31 AM.
                      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
                      -------------------------------
                      "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
                      NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

What does "practicing" mean to you?

B & c

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته
                        إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
                          Wa Alaykumussalam, I wouldn't marry someone who is not yet practising, but intends to do so. Especially if by not practising you mean like not following the Fardth, but then when do they start to intend doing so.. after marriage? If they were serious about it, they should start right this present moment.. nothing should change that dramatically in that respect, after marriage. They're doing it for Allah s.w.t, not for us.. Also imagine taking that risk and they don't start praying or don't truly change from within.. you're stuck, and your kids too.. The only exception to this is if they are a revert and have already reverted, and are learning currently how to pray and follow the pillars of Islam, imo that is entirely different, because they are starting to practice, and didn't before as they literally weren't Muslim.. so it's not like a born muslim neglecting Muslim.

In regards to the bulk of the question, I wouldn't want to consider A, as they listen to music, watch films, free mixing etc, all of which are big no no's. I would consider B, C and D. I would love to marry someone that is C, because being a student of knowledge, they will know more than me, and can teach me and our kids too, Insha ' Allah. I would prefer a student of knowledge or alim over a hafidth, if the person was just exclusively one, of course they may be both. Also, that's not a requirement for me, as I am not a student of knowledge or an aalima. Also, as long as they do the Fardth, and stay away from major and minor sins, I am happy. Someone who tries their best to follow the deen, and has taqwa in all elements of their life. Knowing that which is haram and halal as well as makrooh, and not only being interested in and following Islam to the best of their ability, but also striving to learn more.

So as well as the 5 pillars, they don't listen to music, free mix or watch movies. That they have a beard, don't think it's okay to take out a university loan (if they've done this themselves, I don't know whether I'd hold it against them or not though.. because people don't realise at the time sometimes), and ensuring they have a halal job, because there's jobs like bank ones and taxi driving ones and others, that I don't think are okay.. Also not wanting to take out a mortgage, things like not going to restaurants because they also serve alcohol (as a lot of halal restaurants here do that too) etc. Hopefully helping me to wear Niqaab too.. I wouldn't be doing this for the sake of them, it's something I've been thinking about for a while, but right now it's tough for me to do this, and there's stuff I want to change about myself before I start doing this (before marriage of course). Also someone who tries their best to follow the sunnahs in life, as well as the fardths. Also zero talking to the opposite gender except in necessity, like say we're at the supermarket and there's a female at the counter, and she says Hi to him, he better be lowering his gaze and not reply lol, let me reply instead.. is that taking things extreme, I don't know, but there you go:)

A+ answer. 100 marks. :)

Regarding minor sins, do you think it's easy to find someone who completely avoid movies and music these days? Also, obviously none of us can be completely free of minor sins, so which ones would be a deal-breaker to you, and which ones would you overlook?

^ Question for all.

Btw, did this thread got moved?

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri View Post
                            Someone who prays and is mindful of avoiding sins and all that is haraam, especially someone who has a genuine concern and passion for Allah Ta'aalaa and Islam.

Being okay with free-mixing, music, watching (most) movies would mean to me they aren't "practicing" (ie. practicing how I'd like to see them or myself), though they are of course practicing but engaged in a few serious sins.

(Question not addressed to me I know, but C would be 'very strongly practicing' or a similar description.)
                            This.

But i would also add that one other criteria is that practicing muslims MUST have a strong sense of 'identity" and love towards Islam.

Comment

A+ answer. 100 marks. :)

Regarding minor sins, do you think it's easy to find someone who completely avoid movies and music these days? Also, obviously none of us can be completely free of minor sins, so which ones would be a deal-breaker to you, and which ones would you overlook?

^ Question for all.

Btw, did this thread got moved?
                              Completely avoids? It's possible, but I think you'll be looking for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X