Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody want to diet with me (sisters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody want to diet with me (sisters)

Salam sisters, so after running for a month and eating healthier, I haven't lost any weight so I'm going on a diet. Its pretty strict, no carbs or sugar, just protein, vegetables, and fruit. If anyone else is trying to lose weight or eat healthier, maybe we can motivate each other and talk to one another instead of cheating. how bout it girls?
    "And surely this brotherhood of your is a single brotherhood, and I am your Lord and Cherisher. Therefore fear Me and no other. But people have broken their religion into sects, each group rejoicing in that which is with them. But leave them in their confused ignorance for a time." (23:52-54)

Re: Does anybody want to diet with me (sisters)

Wassalam.

You are running in the right direction, so to speak:) But do you feel any different after doing this programme?
    “Mix with the noble people, you become one of them; and keep away from evil people so that you protect yourself from their evils.”

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Originally posted by airhead View Post
      Salam sisters, so after running for a month and eating healthier, I haven't lost any weight so I'm going on a diet. Its pretty strict, no carbs or sugar, just protein, vegetables, and fruit. If anyone else is trying to lose weight or eat healthier, maybe we can motivate each other and talk to one another instead of cheating. how bout it girls?
      Why not? Im actually challenging myself to not eat refined sugar for a month. Im doing it for health reasons not just weight loss. I think as Muslims we should strive to be healthy because our bodies don't belong to us but they belong to Allah, which is why its crucial to live a healthy lifestyle. Just because you didn't lose weight dont give up! BTW dont give up all carbs. You need carbs for energy. The carbs you should give up are refined like chips, white bread, crackers, etc, but eat complex carbs like whole grains, oatmeal, and beans. In shaa Allah all goes well.

Comment

WS,

I think you shouldn't feel disheartened that you haven't lost any weight. The fact that you're exercising regularly could mean that you're now carrying less fat and more muscle, which is a good and healthy thing. Those weight watchers and slimming world type places only pay attention to what is on the scales when that isn't really the best measure of good health anyway. As long as you're making sensible dietary choices and keep going with the good eating habits and regular exercise, you should see benefits from that inshaAllah. Also I believe losing weight slowly is probably going to be better for your long term health anyway so don't feel as though you have to compete with people who lose 7lbs in one week as many of the "slimmers of the year" in those competitions end up putting the weight back on anyway. Focus more on your health and wellbeing and inshaAllah the weight stuff will fall into place.

Bear in mind that you NEED fat in your diet. In fact, fat can help aid weight loss. Avoid transfats (which is often in junk food, takeaways and in those mcvities or mr kipling type baked products that have a shelf life of more than a week). The best cooking fat for health is coconut oil or ghee (coconut oil is good for cholesterol too). Good quality olive oil is good for raw foods such as salad dressings. Don't eat more than a tablespoon of nuts in a day; they contain some good fats and possibly even omega 3s (i think?) but whilst I say fats are good for you, moderation of it is best so I'd recommend no more than a tablespoon a day which can go in your pesto or granola etc. Fats help you stay fuller for longer. I used to eat coconut at suhur to help me avoid feeling hungry by zuhr, so I know from experience that it helps.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
          WS,

I think you shouldn't feel disheartened that you haven't lost any weight. The fact that you're exercising regularly could mean that you're now carrying less fat and more muscle, which is a good and healthy thing. Those weight watchers and slimming world type places only pay attention to what is on the scales when that isn't really the best measure of good health anyway. As long as you're making sensible dietary choices and keep going with the good eating habits and regular exercise, you should see benefits from that inshaAllah. Also I believe losing weight slowly is probably going to be better for your long term health anyway so don't feel as though you have to compete with people who lose 7lbs in one week as many of the "slimmers of the year" in those competitions end up putting the weight back on anyway. Focus more on your health and wellbeing and inshaAllah the weight stuff will fall into place.

Bear in mind that you NEED fat in your diet. In fact, fat can help aid weight loss. Avoid transfats (which is often in junk food, takeaways and in those mcvities or mr kipling type baked products that have a shelf life of more than a week). The best cooking fat for health is coconut oil or ghee (coconut oil is good for cholesterol too). Good quality olive oil is good for raw foods such as salad dressings. Don't eat more than a tablespoon of nuts in a day; they contain some good fats and possibly even omega 3s (i think?) but whilst I say fats are good for you, moderation of it is best so I'd recommend no more than a tablespoon a day which can go in your pesto or granola etc. Fats help you stay fuller for longer. I used to eat coconut at suhur to help me avoid feeling hungry by zuhr, so I know from experience that it helps.
          Olive oil is good fat, I have 1 tbs a day with my beans.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
            WS,

Thanks sister, I need to remember to include good fats in my diet.
            "And surely this brotherhood of your is a single brotherhood, and I am your Lord and Cherisher. Therefore fear Me and no other. But people have broken their religion into sects, each group rejoicing in that which is with them. But leave them in their confused ignorance for a time." (23:52-54)

Comment

Originally posted by Rea1234 View Post
              Why not? Im actually challenging myself to not eat refined sugar for a month. Im doing it for health reasons not just weight loss. I think as Muslims we should strive to be healthy because our bodies don't belong to us but they belong to Allah, which is why its crucial to live a healthy lifestyle. Just because you didn't lose weight dont give up! BTW dont give up all carbs. You need carbs for energy. The carbs you should give up are refined like chips, white bread, crackers, etc, but eat complex carbs like whole grains, oatmeal, and beans. In shaa Allah all goes well.
              I eat beans and oatmeal but no bread, not even wheat. I love sugar and I can't give it up forever but eating less of it is definitely healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
                Wassalam.

You are running in the right direction, so to speak:) But do you feel any different after doing this programme?
                :) I feel less tired in general and running usually puts me in a good mood.

Comment

If you did all that and didn't lose anything. May be you are fine the way you are
                  "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

im also trying to lose weight! i drink warm lemon water every morning and night its been helping (or maybe im tricking myself that i look skinnier lol)

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
                      If you did all that and didn't lose anything. May be you are fine the way you are

this and I like to add

They always say try to avoid the scale. And try to use your own clothes as an indicator to your weight loss. There must be some changes , even if it's slight. If you really cut out on sugar for a month. Those who excercise sometimes don't lose weight when it comes to scale but their body fats move from one part of your body to another and their bodies start shaping and looking better. Only clothes can tell. Trust me for that.

And you may be start losing some visceral fat is body fat that is stored within the abdominal cavity and they are the dangerous one. So, never let the scale discourage you. Remember the beginnings is the hardest then u get used to it.

Give it another 2 months and you would see wonders insha'Allah. I'm speaking from experience and from ppl's around me experience. The best way to go is calories counting if you wanna go on diet but let's just call it new healthy lifestyle.

Also, some bad habits can affect your body health and can prevent u from losing weight such as eating and then sleeping directly, staying up late, skipping breakfast meal, not drinking enough of water ..etc

Note: some health problems and lack of certain minerals and vitamins can prevent
                      weight loss even if you eat close to nothing. Like Thyroid , polycystic ovaries, Chronic constipation .,etc . So, it's wise to check your hormones and see if everything is ok.

Consult with your doctor first. Then, try to come up with a holistic plan: balanced food, moderate excercise , sleeping good 8 hours at night and drinking 2 litres of water at least daily.

Wish u the best
                      How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me :crying2:

Comment

No carbs? No you will not lose weight and if you do, you will gain it back plus some. Allah ta'ala gave us abundance in carbohydrates and a lot of health benefits in them for a reason sister, don't be silly and follow these fail temporary diets. Weight loss should not be rapid and whatever loss of weight initially is due to loss of water (no carbs).

Get off all the processed sugar-free, refined stuff. Sugar free increases appetite by the way (it does for me at least) and can cause other side effects (like headaches and such).

If you wish to cut back on any carbs it should be simple carbs (basic sugars).

Your focus should be on whole foods that come from the Earth or game (that's halal of course) that has minimum fat (saturated fats). Fats aren't evil either, but one shouldn't indulge (olive oil is the best of course).

Eat when satiated and if you feel a sweet tooth, eat dates or fruits. They're full of beneficial phytochemicals and because of the fibre and water, they make you feel full. No binging and no over-indulging. Walking is the best sport in my opinion because it's very gentle on the joints and will not lead to injury like other activities. Not to mention highly sustainable.

Remember sis, you're not trying to lose quick wait to fit into that wedding dress nor do u want to lose weight like this because it's not sustainable. Enjoy things in moderation but your main diet should focus on whole nutritive foods. Slowly but surely, the weight will drop in sha' Allah ta'ala.

Comment

:) I feel less tired in general and running usually puts me in a good mood.
                          yeh running is so fun

but keep going in sha Allah
                          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Wasalaam sis
                            Yes I do :) However I have some advice to give dearest sis. When you say you were running for a month, how often was the running and how long for? Also, how do you define healthy, was it healthy as in calorie counting, or as in healthier foods or was it less portions etc? If you don't mind me asking how much you weigh too, sis? Obviously if it's private/personal, don't say, or you can rep me it, sis. Just wondering, as sometimes it might be your body telling you that you don't really need to lose weight. There are medical conditions such as thyroid issues and pcos that can also make weight loss problematic, but I'm sure this isn't the case. I also really really don't think it's a good idea to not have any carbs or sugar, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, our body needs carbs for energy and everything in moderation is fine/good for us, this includes sugar as well. Our body if we don't eat enough will start storing the fat. If you're constantly/often hungry on a diet it's not a good sign because it's not about being hungry or excercising loads or eating lots of salads etc.

Also, if you do this, it's going to be very short term, sis. The reason is because when you use the word 'diet' it automatically makes you think of restricting, so rather than that, think of it as a long term healthy lifestyle. Also try not to ban any foods, and definitely not food groups. Did you know that, I can't remember the percentage, but it's a crazy high amount in the 90's, that is the percent of people that add weight on, after losing a lot of weight/weight loss. When we're on a 'diet' and have this mentality too, it makes us think about food more, especially with the continual calorie counting and thinking what's going to be the next meal, and total restrictions on the stuff that we love. What can end up happening is that we weigh ourselves too often, and stay on this for a while, get on the scale, feel we aren't shifting the pounds, then we give up on the diet, and say we'll start tomorrow instead, and this keeps happening

In regards to you not having lost weight, it could also be that your clothes are now looser/or a better fit, as it's come off your waist for example, but not your actual weight. Also, how are you planning to diet, dear sis? Is it according to what your eating, smaller portions, calories, or everything? And you planning to incorporate a form of exercise? Pick something you find fun :)

Basically I'm super chubby and started a 'healthy lifestyle' a few days ago. So yeah we and all of us can deffo help to motivate and talk to each other about it. We can even put initial weight if people want to, or we can put what we've eaten in the day, and if we've done exercise too. Personally atm I'm just doing it by cals (lol I know kinda goes against what I said before, but I'll explain in a min), and planning to incorporate exercise too Insha 'Allah. I know if I push myself and go into healthy eating plus cals plus exercise at once I'll snap, and it won't lost. I love food and not a massive exercise fan, so I'm just making sure I don't exceed 1,500 cals through smaller portions etc, it does involve eating some good food and some stuff that I like/love as well. And I recently joined the gym, so will start either this week or next week, Insha ' Allah. Loove swimming too, but that's a bit more difficult for me to get into rn. Lol all this advice, I need to take my own advice too, haha. I've talked enough lool

What about you sis?
                            And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                            [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

lool wth im hungry rn and I came here to say that.. jus realised I wrote a long essay acting like some kinda 'nutritionist' ^ when im the opposite lol

Anyway im hungry I need to sleep its 1:40am. im craving an English brekkie. For those of u not from the uk its hot buttered toast, egg (it can be any but I like scrambled egg with chilli chilli powder sweetcorn tomato onion salt pepper n cheese), sausages, grilled tomatoes and/or mushrooms, beans, hash brown. lol I dont think describing all of that helped my hunger :/ this is the time I wish I had a hubby most girls, so I could push him outta bed to make me food in the middle of the night ;) I am jking btw just before I start getting nep reps lol

Btw wht food are ur sisters weakness?
                              And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record”
                              [al-An’aam 6:59]

Comment

Working...
                              X