Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imitating the appearance of the kuffar

السلام عليكم

The prophet (saw) said: "من تشبه بقوم فهو منهم" "whoever resembles a people will be from amongst them"

I see many brothers nowadays clean shaven or with a very thin beard wearing tight trousers and big framed glasses. Where did they get this appearance from? Even practising brothers who attend the masjid have become sucked into this fashion and resemble the kuffar completely. And now due to the beard being in fashion, many brothers keep the beard but will wear skin tight trousers with massive boots just to be in line with the latest trend, not to mention it takes heaps away from their manhood.

Another point is that we expect the sisters to wear hijab just like the prophet's wives and the bros are dressing like some next hipster. Is this justice? We need to give stength to each other, when sisters see brothers in Islamic appearance, it motivates them to continue to wear the hijab as they'll think that there are other people who share the struggle of standing out just like them. Likewise, sisters who wear hijab/niqab give strength to the brothers and inspire them follow the sunnah in their appearance. We're in this together.

I understand maybe for work/university you have to wear general western clothing but at least when you go to the masjid or whenever you go out for anything else, wear a thobe keep your trousers above your ankles and keep the beard.

You are a muslim and you are men and your appearance is the sunnah, not those hipsters or celebrities.

Just some bro love advice :)

:jkk:
    Last edited by Deeni Akh; 10-03-17, 10:09 AM.

Re: Imitating the appearance of the kuffar

Thanks brother

بارك الله فيك
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Imitating the appearance of the kuffar

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

:wswrwb:

I understand your point, but women are required to dress that way. A brother wearing fashion clothes doesn't really compare imo, since there is more leniency on the male dress code. Not talking about the skin tight jeans, but the other stuff you mentioned.

Also, is wearing big framed glasses or whatever the latest fashion trend out there really imitating the kuffar? In that case, is wearing jeans / t shirt also imitating them? I don't think people associate those things with the kuffar.
        ***Reminder- It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that RasulAllah :saw: said: Whoever reads Tabaarak allaathi bi yadihi’l-mulk [i.e., Soorat al-Mulk] every night, Allaah will protect him from the torment of the grave.
        And never think that Allah is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes will stare [in horror]. [Quran, 14:42]

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder94 View Post

I understand your point, but women are required to dress that way. A brother wearing fashion clothes doesn't really compare imo, since there is more leniency on the male dress code. Not talking about the skin tight jeans, but the other stuff you mentioned.

Also, is wearing big framed glasses or whatever the latest fashion trend out there really imitating the kuffar? In that case, is wearing jeans / t shirt also imitating them? I don't think people associate those things with the kuffar.
          Of course we're not disputing the fact that the hijab for women does not apply in the same effect for the men however we should still follow the sunnah in our appearance.

Well the Muslims certainly didn't come up with the big framed glasses nor the tight trousers or all the other stuff. My point is Muslims are leaving the sunnah to follow the western fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeni Akh View Post
            Of course we're not disputing the fact that the hijab for women does not apply in the same effect for the men however we should still follow the sunnah in our appearance.

Well the Muslims certainly didn't come up with the big framed glasses nor the tight trousers or all the other stuff. My point is Muslims are leaving the sunnah to follow the western fashion.
            What's the sunnah glasses frame? Seriously none of what you mentioned are unique to the kuffar. Did the sahaba invent new clothes? No.

Comment

Originally posted by quark View Post
              What's the sunnah glasses frame? Seriously none of what you mentioned are unique to the kuffar. Did the sahaba invent new clothes? No.
              Please take the general point of the thread, no need to pick on one little point and make a debate out of it.

:brf:

Comment

Please take the general point of the thread, don't pick on one little point and !ake a debate out of it.

But that was your entire point...

Comment

Right, but you sort of implied it is wrong to expect a woman to wear hijab if you yourself aren't dressed like a Muslim. Hijab is obligatory whereas dressing like a Muslim for a male isn't, right? Like, we're free to wear a t-shirt for example. Not following the Sunnah in certain aspects doesn't make one sinful does it? So I don't think the comparison to something obligatory like hijab works here. But I do fully understand your point on giving sisters motivation to continue what they're doing when they see a brother dressed that way.

Yeah, Muslims didn't come up with that, but is there something wrong with that though? It's not sinful to want to dress in the western way, provided it's within the boundaries of what Islam's dress code, right?

:jkk: akhi

Please take the general point of the thread, no need to pick on one little point and make a debate out of it.

I think [MENTION=127346]quark[/MENTION] has a point here.
                  ***Reminder- It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that RasulAllah :saw: said: Whoever reads Tabaarak allaathi bi yadihi’l-mulk [i.e., Soorat al-Mulk] every night, Allaah will protect him from the torment of the grave.
                  And never think that Allah is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes will stare [in horror]. [Quran, 14:42]

Comment

It doesn't help if youngsters immerse themselves in the culture of the kufaar e.g. watching movies and anime.

Comment

May Allah forgive us and guide us to success. Ameen.
                      Indeed we belong to Allah,
                      and indeed to Him we will return.

Quran 2:156

Comment

Thobe and abayah are fashion too. The thobe is definitely not sunnah, in the sene that the Prophet (SAW) wore it, but it is good because it's loose. If someone wore jeans and a tshirt but it was loose, then that would be okay too.

The hadith talks more about imitating the religious garb and not every day clothing that changes from culture to culture. We're told what the requirements are and if your clothing fits then it's okay.
                        مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                        It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                        Surah al-Baqarah
                        [2:245]

.:.
                        .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                        Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
                        ...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                          It doesn't help if youngsters immerse themselves in the culture of the kufaar e.g. watching movies and anime.
                          Or eg being born in western societies. Darn those youngsters.

Comment

Originally posted by quark View Post
                            Do you ever agree to anything?
                            '' WE LIVE IN AN INTERESTING TIME, WHERE THE 'ILM (KNOWLEDGE) OF A PERSON IS JUDGED BY HOW FAMOUS THE PERSON IS.''

- IMAM ANWAR AL 'AWLAQI.

Comment

A thobe is not sunnah clothing but it does look nice allahumma baarik

But a lot of people will fall into the trap of thinking the person must be a religious practicing brother if he wears one

If you go to Brixton, allahumma baarik they are on it, the bros are slicked out with thobes way above their ankles, big beards, looking as 'Muslim' as they can, but the same bros are beating their wives, abusing them etc

Whilst outward appearance does have a place and I understand what you are saying in terms of motivating each other, just be careful and look at manners/actions when befriending someone more than how 'Muslim' they appear to be

I think it's off putting for women anyway if a man looks like he's put too much effort into his appearance so those hipster ones :vomit:
                              ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
                              "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
                              :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

Comment

Working...
                              X