Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some say uni is the only choice for livelihood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do some say uni is the only choice for livelihood?

Originally posted by Faith reloaded View Post
    Nd so many brainwashed babies are flooding into university, year after year

Brainwashed by colleges and sixth form into applying. Brainwashed into thinking that doing any old degree will guarantee them to walk into a nice job as soon as they graduate

Truth is, it's a tough world out there man. It's more grim than i thought. Unless you're doing a vocational degree like radiography, optometry, dentistry etc. you might end up in some menial job or you may be unemployed for some time - and this is even after you get at least a 2.1
    You're a smart kid, masha'Allaah.

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
      True what Ziz said.

A lot of sisters go to university and some of the reasons include killing time so they don't have to get married, Allahu Alam

If you don't apply for uni and work on the side - well .. in most cases south Asian girls are saving up for their wedding and whatnot. And end up getting hitched after 1/2 years.

Most of the sisters who didn't apply for university ended up getting married.

This is from my observation.
      True

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
        I saw your post on the other thread, before you edited it.

Apprenticeships are an excellent form of Vocational Education.

I would encourage those interested in a particular field to take it up. Plumbers, Electricians, Builders, Mechanics etc
        There are some great apprenticeships available, but they don't always have what you might want. But some careers you might go uni for can be found via an apprenticeship. But everyone has their preferred route of course.

Do you personally find a specific type of apprenticeship impressive/which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Faith reloaded View Post
          Nd so many brainwashed babies are flooding into university, year after year

Brainwashed by colleges and sixth form into applying. Brainwashed into thinking that doing any old degree will guarantee them to walk into a nice job as soon as they graduate

Truth is, it's a tough world out there man. It's more grim than i thought. Unless you're doing a vocational degree like radiography, optometry, dentistry etc. you might end up in some menial job or you may be unemployed for some time - and this is even after you get at least a 2.1
          True it is best to go with a specific purpose in mind instead of just going with the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbowr View Post
            If tou find employment in a decent place it shouldnt be that bad.
            Some jobs like inner msoque sevices would probably involves connections in most areas.
            what are inner mosque services?

Comment

Originally posted by HelloEverybody View Post
              what are inner mosque services?
              I was thinking
              Administration
              Funeral services
              Thats all i can think of at the momentbut thers could include IT, social media, electritiion/maintainence work in a mosque? Im sure theres more including the knowledge based work.

Comment

Inner mosque services are all the services that mosques provides.

Comment

I think one reason a lot of people go to uni is because it improves their marriage prospects, especially if they're looking for a degree holder spouse themselves. It was one of the contributory factors towards me getting my degree tbh, cos' I was never particularly ambitious career wise.

I think I gained far more life experience from living away from home for two years, than anything I learned from my studies. If I were cured, I'd probably want to start a food based business anyway which has nothing to do with my degree, but that's just me. Now that degrees are becoming more and more difficult to do the halal way, I think it's only worthwhile to do a degree if you can afford it the halal way and also it's only worth it if you plan on entering a particular profession such as becoming a doctor or engineer or that sort of thing. I don't think it's worthwhile to go to uni for a media or business degree considering the costs involved.

A lot of people end up pursuing a line of work that has nothing to do with their degree. Often it's because most people at the age of 18-19 do not know what they want out of life in terms of their career, or even have a clue about where they want to be in the next five or ten years. Then again, having a degree can be handy sometimes because even if you're working on a career that has nothing to do with your degree, some employers are reluctant to give a promotion to someone who doesn't have a degree and will be seen as "less qualified" (in spite of greater experience) and also some employees who have a degree might not like answering to a supervisor or boss who doesn't have one... I dunno I'm just thinking out loud.

In short, you don't need a degree for many lines of work out there. There are pros and cons to having a degree and to not having one so you just have to weigh them up before you decide either way. I once turned down a rishta because he took a haram loan for his studies- other than that he was a good bloke and everything.
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

:salams:

I haven't read everyone's response here because I read from last to first :wacko:

But I have to say [MENTION=1489]neelu[/MENTION] well said, I agree with everything you said except for getting a degree or going to uni for the sake of marriage as this was not my intention, mine was more to do with ambitions and passions, maybe I was career minded or still am (only when it suits me :zzz:) and I know plenty of other girls do it because they are passionate too, not to waste time for 'freedom' that's something new and :/ it's not the wisest of decisions :scratch:

you're defo not alone, many sisters we know are doing it for this reason too as marriage itself is another competition lol so you have to show people that you have all the qualities they'd want and are up to the levels of other girls, this is another added pressure

exactly like a job search

I agree, if people have the means and direction of what they want to do with their lives and what goals they want to aim for than go for it

it's good to have one if you can have it but at the same time you can still try other options which are there for you, especially for brothers, if you can go abroad for a job you should really take the opportunity and do it, you will learn so much

don't waste your time with something you're not keen on though
                    'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by rainbowr View Post
                      When they can get an apprenticeship?
                      Because we're being pressured from family, teachers, friends, external and internal pressures in a society that is trying to instill fake notions of many things, including intelligence/livelihood (where there are many sources besides uni, but people act as if they aren't viable options), beauty, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X