Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pursuing Further Education.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pursuing Further Education.

    Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaah,

    Should we strive to pursue this?

    We need experts in all fields.

    From what I've witnessed on many threads, is that people are frowning upon 'degrees' and further education.

    Why?

    Any input is welcome.

    (Note: This is on here as some people don't have access to Soapbox).

  • #2
    Re: Pursuing Further Education.

    :wswrwb:

    -__________________________-

    I think we need people from every walk of life.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pursuing Further Education.

      Originally posted by RaNdOm View Post
      :wswrwb:

      -__________________________-

      I think we need people from every walk of life.
      Yes, I agree.

      Some people have no interest in studying, that's fine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pursuing Further Education.

        :salams

        It would be fantastic if Muslims were studying and specializing in fields strategically. Take the jews for example they are so organized. How many of them are in the world ? How much power do they have? Their brotherhood is really something we should be ashamed of when we look towards ourselves. In reality they as a community went through such hardship , it was necessary for them to cling together and not fight eachother. On the other hand us muslims let our success get the best of us and we have been fighting over poltical power since the early days - may Allah help us.

        I guess it is late for some of us to pursue in higher education. Our families have encouraged us to become doctors and engineers when in reality there are fields which can benefit the intellectual war on islam. Media , philosophy , science , history etc

        It's not necessary that every male child must either be a doctor, lawyer , engineer or aalim. Why not a historian? Why not a biologist who will battle the status quo ? These people are missing.

        Wa Allahu alaam

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pursuing Further Education.

          Excellent points.

          We are lacking in Intellectuals. And those that claim to be Intellectuals, are mostly Modernists.

          The Jews have done well, but I'm not sure we can be compared, seeing as Islam doesn't assimilate with Western Culture.

          I'm not sure what the hindrance in pursuing Education is? (Apart from one - interest based loans).

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pursuing Further Education.

            Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
            Excellent points.

            We are lacking in Intellectuals. And those that claim to be Intellectuals, are mostly Modernists.

            The Jews have done well, but I'm not sure we can be compared, seeing as Islam doesn't assimilate with Western Culture.

            I'm not sure what the hindrance in pursuing Education is? (Apart from one - interest based loans).
            True , the Jews are complete hypocrites. I was reading some stuff about them through trustworthy sources. You know the evil jews(not all of them) will promote things in western society and then prohibit those very things in their homeland? Anyways that's a topic for another discussion and an extremely interesting one insha'Allah

            One thing I see as a 'hindrance' is that this generation who came to these western lands are so materialistic , and those who are spiritual only want their kids to go to the mosque/islamic school / aalim course.

            The thing is we have lost foresight and we are not building towards the future unfortunately. It's like , every man for themselves. Study medicine / engineering so you can get a good job, so you can afford to take care of your parents /wife / back home.

            I think this current generation which is up and coming is very important. Not only that we strive to have our children marry earlier (one of the biggest problem for the youth today) - but that they pursue in fields which will help the Ummah as well as themselves.

            Enough of this hedonistic worldview. But the question is; will this trend break? I hope so .

            Wa Allahu alaam

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pursuing Further Education.

              I don't know.... some people get too big for their boots just cos they've gone into higher education.

              some kind of superiority complex

              it's good if you stay humble but these daysssssss everyone's trying to come up on top of one another and anyone that seeks knowledge of the deen gets shunned into that ugly lil box

              also I don't know if I feel safe with trusting someone to face the fitna involved in further education

              unis these days are pretty much matrimonial institutes, and girls and boys are flying off proposals back and forth and in every direction

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                wa 'alaykum assalam

                Before answering your question I saw Amantu say something about the media. We will never have control over major western media guys. It's the devil's work. However, there are plenty of people in media who do create Muslim friendly media, it's just that the more popular ones will be those of the western people (because of the fitnah).

                And I have to disagree with not having enough Muslim intellectuals, there are many Muslims with phDs and those who are researchers and such, but how often are scientists known like celebrities? Plus, as Muslims, there are limitations like for example, if stem cell research is done on deliberately aborted fetuses, it is haram to conduct research on them.

                All that said, I do wish we had more resources to make us more independent so we can make more Islamic medicines (those that don't have animal byproducts for example), more halal research, understand which treatments are halal and which are crossing the line, etc. Also we need to keep in mind, we're not here to impress any other people or any other nations, just to please our Lord

                With regards to you wanting to further your education, so long as your area of study doesn't involve haram, and you keep your duty to your home, I personally see nothing wrong. If your intention is to help the ummah for the sake of Allah ta'ala, then go for it! But of course, our obligations must be met.Us women need to be especially careful though. For example, if you want to enter marketing for example, you need to know that your job may require you to travel internationally (so without mahram) and to shake hands with non-mahrams so to not seem "rude" and to wear more attractive clothing and even makeup. If it's majors like philosophy, your work may involve having to write papers about kufr.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                  Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
                  True , the Jews are complete hypocrites. I was reading some stuff about them through trustworthy sources. You know the evil jews(not all of them) will promote things in western society and then prohibit those very things in their homeland? Anyways that's a topic for another discussion and an extremely interesting one insha'Allah

                  One thing I see as a 'hindrance' is that this generation who came to these western lands are so materialistic , and those who are spiritual only want their kids to go to the mosque/islamic school / aalim course.

                  The thing is we have lost foresight and we are not building towards the future unfortunately. It's like , every man for themselves. Study medicine / engineering so you can get a good job, so you can afford to take care of your parents /wife / back home.

                  I think this current generation which is up and coming is very important. Not only that we strive to have our children marry earlier (one of the biggest problem for the youth today) - but that they pursue in fields which will help the Ummah as well as themselves.

                  Enough of this hedonistic worldview. But the question is; will this trend break? I hope so .

                  Wa Allahu alaam
                  Personally I think the biggest hindrance is resources. Impossible to get a degree without a loan and with loan comes riba.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                    :wswrwb:

                    Amidst the battle of hearts and minds, it is upon us to academically equip ourselves with as much ammunition as we can to resist the intellectual onslaught against the deen.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                      Originally posted by Deeni Akh View Post
                      :wswrwb:

                      Amidst the battle of hearts and minds, it is upon us to academically equip ourselves with as much ammunition as we can to resist the intellectual onslaught against the deen.
                      Bruv wha u sayin doe

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                        Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
                        :salams

                        It would be fantastic if Muslims were studying and specializing in fields strategically. Take the jews for example they are so organized. How many of them are in the world ? How much power do they have? Their brotherhood is really something we should be ashamed of when we look towards ourselves. In reality they as a community went through such hardship , it was necessary for them to cling together and not fight eachother. On the other hand us muslims let our success get the best of us and we have been fighting over poltical power since the early days - may Allah help us.

                        I guess it is late for some of us to pursue in higher education. Our families have encouraged us to become doctors and engineers when in reality there are fields which can benefit the intellectual war on islam. Media , philosophy , science , history etc

                        It's not necessary that every male child must either be a doctor, lawyer , engineer or aalim. Why not a historian? Why not a biologist who will battle the status quo ? These people are missing.

                        Wa Allahu alaam
                        exactly. People on ummah always question why I want to study History. Its important to participate in every sphere like we used to.
                        وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

                        And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."


                        أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

                        Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].


                        Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

                        Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                          Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
                          exactly. People on ummah always question why I want to study History. Its important to participate in every sphere like we used to.
                          SubhanAllah history is also one of my main fields of interest, I may specialise in this in my further education if Allah gives me tawfeeq.

                          I think history is really undermined and ignored but in my opinion it's one of the most important subjects that a person can study and research in.
                          Last edited by Deeni Akh; 03-03-17, 08:01 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                            :wswrwb:

                            studying is fine, its the riba loans thats the issue and some peeps dont even see it as an issue

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Pursuing Further Education.

                              Originally posted by Deeni Akh View Post
                              SubhanAllah history is also one of my main fields of interest, I may specialise in this in my further education if Allah gives me tawfeeq.
                              Ma Sha Allah its good to be balanced.

                              However , sometimes History is not such an objective subject. When I studied Islamic history at uni, the writers always had a kind of wishy-washy view on Islam.

                              However, Its welcomed to have Islamic knowledge in History studies, I remember my tutor asking me about Imam Nawawi (ra) as I referenced him in essay.


                              But Islamic studies is more of a blessing, its rare to be blessed with strong wisdom and understanding of the deen.
                              وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

                              And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."


                              أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

                              Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].


                              Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

                              Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X