Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

    :salams

    So we all know that we're meant to eat what is halal, but have you ever thought about whether or not your food is tayyib?

    Allah says in the Quran:

    يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ كُلُواْ مِمَّا فِي الأَرْضِ حَلاَلاً طَيِّباً وَلاَ تَتَّبِعُواْ خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُّبِينٌ


    O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Halal and Tayyib and do not follow the footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an avowed enemy.

    (Surat al-Baqarah aya 168 // 2:168)


    We do a good job of knowing what is halal and what isn't, but I wonder why we're not as diligent when it comes to the tayyib. I know there's someone out there who is going to say, "Pippin, Halal and Tayyib is the same thing. And if it's Halal then it's Tayyib."

    But what is halal, because most people will say that it's anything except what Allah made haram. (So pigs, insects, predatory animals, etc...) And food that is haram, (like cows, sheeps, goats, camels, etc...) can be halal if it's slaughter in the proper way.

    Which is fine and pretty much the general ruling for every Muslim out there, right? But what about foods that come from a source that harms it's workers. Like chocolate and how corporate companies screw over people in order to produce a delicious commodity for cheap. Or how about the amount of sugar and meat we all eat to excess, when it causes such horrible problems in this day and age. What about packaged foods and the amount of junk that is in it, but we don't know because companies don't have to mention everything. (Do you really think your 100% pure Orange Juice is really just orange juice?)

    The way our food system is in the West is pretty far from what is tayyib and the sad thing is that our bad eating habits is working it's way towards the East.

    Right now, there's a big push about paleo diets, eating raw, and going for clean whole foods instead of just picking up a packet of chips and soda. Some may say this is just a craze at the moment, but isn't this close to what tayyib is; and therefore, something we should be striving for as a whole?

    Thoughts?
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

    "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

    .:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

    .:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

  • #2
    Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

    Yep ,nowadays hard to find pure food ,everything is messed up.

    Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

    **** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

    Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antê” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

      I think unless you live in a world wherein you grow everything in a field and eat of that produce then you can't gaurentee whether anything you eat is tayyib. As everything you eat will have some contamination somewhere along the lines.
      82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

        Originally posted by Sis_Asiya View Post
        I think unless you live in a world wherein you grow everything in a field and eat of that produce then you can't gaurentee whether anything you eat is tayyib. As everything you eat will have some contamination somewhere along the lines.
        no need to go to such extremes; avoid greasy fast food, avoid sugary stuff, eat 'healthy' and thats all thats required! ;)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

          Originally posted by KhanKhan View Post
          no need to go to such extremes; avoid greasy fast food, avoid sugary stuff, eat 'healthy' and thats all thats required! ;)
          I think even stuff labelled as "healthy" is contaminated nowadays. Middle path not excessive one third air one third water one third food this is islam
          82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

            Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
            :salams

            So we all know that we're meant to eat what is halal, but have you ever thought about whether or not your food is tayyib?

            Allah says in the Quran:

            يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ كُلُواْ مِمَّا فِي الأَرْضِ حَلاَلاً طَيِّباً وَلاَ تَتَّبِعُواْ خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ إِنَّهُ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ مُّبِينٌ


            O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Halal and Tayyib and do not follow the footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an avowed enemy.

            (Surat al-Baqarah aya 168 // 2:168)


            We do a good job of knowing what is halal and what isn't, but I wonder why we're not as diligent when it comes to the tayyib. I know there's someone out there who is going to say, "Pippin, Halal and Tayyib is the same thing. And if it's Halal then it's Tayyib."

            But what is halal, because most people will say that it's anything except what Allah made haram. (So pigs, insects, predatory animals, etc...) And food that is haram, (like cows, sheeps, goats, camels, etc...) can be halal if it's slaughter in the proper way.

            Which is fine and pretty much the general ruling for every Muslim out there, right? But what about foods that come from a source that harms it's workers. Like chocolate and how corporate companies screw over people in order to produce a delicious commodity for cheap. Or how about the amount of sugar and meat we all eat to excess, when it causes such horrible problems in this day and age. What about packaged foods and the amount of junk that is in it, but we don't know because companies don't have to mention everything. (Do you really think your 100% pure Orange Juice is really just orange juice?)

            The way our food system is in the West is pretty far from what is tayyib and the sad thing is that our bad eating habits is working it's way towards the East.

            Right now, there's a big push about paleo diets, eating raw, and going for clean whole foods instead of just picking up a packet of chips and soda. Some may say this is just a craze at the moment, but isn't this close to what tayyib is; and therefore, something we should be striving for as a whole?

            Thoughts?
            Undoubtedly fresh food is better than processed food,

            But to class Halaal processed foot as Non-tayyib, in other words "impure"

            We need a Sheikh to give such a verdict, none of us are qualified to do so,

            :jkk:
            http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

            "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

            – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

              Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
              Undoubtedly fresh food is better than processed food,

              But to class Halaal processed foot as Non-tayyib, in other words "impure"

              We need a Sheikh to give such a verdict, none of us are qualified to do so,

              :jkk:
              Indeed

              This is quite interesting. Alhamdulillah.

              Once you receive the answer , please post it here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                :wswrwb:

                interwestin
                ...And he who fears Allah - He will make for him a way out. [65:3]
                "Put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)."
                :love: [Al-Imran 3:159] :love:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                  Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                  Undoubtedly fresh food is better than processed food,

                  But to class Halaal processed foot as Non-tayyib, in other words "impure"

                  We need a Sheikh to give such a verdict, none of us are qualified to do so,

                  :jkk:
                  I never classified it as non-tayyib, just mentioning that Muslims should strive to eat healthier because it's part of our deen.

                  Skittles is halal, but there's nothing good about them. It's processed, is paced with sugars and other chemicals, and it's not healthy. It is delicious though. Really really delicious.

                  Chicken is halal, but unless the chickens are in a farm that doesn't practice factory farming then it can't be tayyib. One of the conditions of halal is that the animals need to be cared for, eat good things, and killed humanely as possible.

                  I think Muslims are so focused on the halal that they sometimes forget about the tayyib and that's causing a lot of health problems for families.
                  مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

                  "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                  It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                  Surah al-Baqarah
                  [2:245]

                  .:.
                  .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                  Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

                  .:.
                  ...said the spider to the fly...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                    http://www.marcmanley.com/beyond-hal...food-in-islam/

                    Sadly, the Muslim discourse on food has mostly revolved around the practice of Islamically slaughtered meat. This has led to a conflation of terms: halal/حلال with dhabihah/ذبيحة. Despite the claims to the contrary, there is a difference of opinion on the necessity to eat only dhabihah meat. But what is more tragic is that while Muslims obsess axiomatic about halal meat (hereafter referred to as dhabihah), they miss the forest for the trees in terms of whether nor such meats are good/طيب.

                    There are numerous Qur’anic verses that deal with the topic of food and eating and a great many of them emphasize “the good”, in Arabic known as tayyib/طيب. Oddly enough, this component, “the good,” is seldom discussed in terms of Muslim dietary needs. Being that “the good” is often expressed as a command from God (see examples below), how is it that Muslims are so unhealthy? Indeed, health seems to pass under the radar of Muslims despite the large number of Muslims who work in the health and medical fields.

                    Like so many things in is Islam, it is not simply concerned with the lawful, but also with the good. Oddly enough, it seems to be non-Muslims who are picking up on this notion, as halal is increasingly seen as a potentially health food choice:
                    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

                    "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                    Surah al-Baqarah
                    [2:245]

                    .:.
                    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

                    .:.
                    ...said the spider to the fly...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                      It is time to be organic and natural
                      https://www.soundvision.com/article/it-is-time-to-be-organic-and-natural

                      Before you feast on that carefully selected Halal burger from your local Muslim grocer, consider this disturbing statistic: 75 percent of Halal meat in America produced in the year 2000 came from pork fed cows, according to Dr. Stephen Emanuel, from Agway Feed Company.

                      The story gets even worse in light of the recent discovery of mad cow disease. The first case ever in America was discovered in Washington state in December 2003. Mad cow disease in animals is caused by animal cannibalism- the practice of feeding animals used for human consumption with other animals. This practice is a meat industry standard.

                      The truth is that beef, as well as all other animal products, including chicken, dairy, and eggs, are not safe, even without the risk of mad cow disease. Most are jam-packed with fat and cholesterol and increase the risk of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. (Yes, chicken has nearly as much cholesterol as beef.) Loaded with too much protein, they raise the risk of kidney disease and osteoporosis. And given intensive farming and slaughtering processes, they're often contaminated with foodborne pathogens.

                      In the United States the cows are being fed pork based protein, like pork meat byproducts, pork bone meal, explains Mazhar Hussaini, president of the North American Halal Foundation. It is also the same with chicken.

                      Muslims are directed in the Quran to eat food that is Halal and Tayyib. Halal is defined as food that is permissible according to Islamic law. Tayyib means wholesome, pure, nutritious and safe. Traditionally, Muslims in North America have emphasized the Halal over the Tayyib when it comes to meat consumption, Hussaini says.

                      For instance, great emphasis is placed on ensuring that animals slaughtered for consumption are done so in the Islamic manner (the practice known as Zabiha). However, little to no attention is given to whether or not the animal itself is healthy, free of disease, hormones, antibiotics, and chemicals at the time of slaughter. Also, what kind of food it consumes is not taken into consideration, despite the fact that herbivorous animals only are permissible to eat.

                      Moreover, price is a major consideration for Muslims, at the expense of meat quality.

                      My experience is that Muslims are willing to pay for Nike shoes for $150 but when it comes to meat to feed their family, they will bargain on pennies, says Adnan Aldayel, president of Dakota Halal Inc. The company produces Halal meat products which are raised on vegetarian diet distributed primarily on the East and West Coast.

                      Organic meat is one option for Muslims insistent on feeding their families Halal and Tayyib food.

                      Organic meat is produced with animals raised on land free of pesticides, fertilizers, genetically engineered or irradiated foods. Farmers keep a detailed record of all methods and materials used in growing or producing the meat. With cows, all feed and pasture on which they are grazed must be organic. They are also not allowed hormones or antibiotics. However, they can be vaccinated. Animals are considered organic after three months of being raised on an organic farm.

                      Thirty-nine percent of the US population uses organic products. Sales of organic food totaled $5.4 billion in 1998, about $6.5 billion in 1999, and reached nearly $7.8 billion in 2000. The market has grown 20%-24% annually during the 1990s

                      Although organic foods account for less than one percent of total retail food sales, this sector is growing faster than any other area of the food industry. Since 1992, sales of organic foods have increased by more than 20 percent annually with continued strong growth expected for at least the next decade.
                      But according to Hussaini, organic is not the only choice Muslims have if they want to maintain a diet free of Haram and hormones. Meat produced on natural farms is another option.

                      Natural beef is produced from animals not fed any meat-based proteins, hormones or preservatives. Animals are fed grass, hay, corn, beans and oats. Natural farmers do however use antibiotics and different kinds of medicine if an animal is sick. However, they will wait 30 days after administering antibiotics or medicine to slaughter the animal. This is done to make sure the effects of the antibiotics are no longer in the animal's system. An animal is considered natural after living three months on a natural farm.

                      At the moment there are few Halal meat producers who choose animals for their products that are strictly fed non-animal feed. Aldayel's Dakota Halal, CrescentHalal.com (hand slaughter) and the Ohio-based Halal Pride Chicken (machine slaughter) are three that have taken steps towards the Tayyib, not just Halal.

                      An additional problem, according to Aldayel, is that most owners of Halal meat shops across the United States do not really care if the meat they are providing customers meets the best standards of Halal and Tayyib. In some cases, he says, grocers have bought non-Zabiha meat and sold it to unsuspecting customers as Halal.
                      مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

                      "Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
                      It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
                      Surah al-Baqarah
                      [2:245]

                      .:.
                      .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
                      Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

                      .:.
                      ...said the spider to the fly...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                        Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
                        Indeed

                        This is quite interesting. Alhamdulillah.

                        Once you receive the answer , please post it here.
                        I've asked Sheikh Abu Musab in QA, will post his answer إِن*شَاءَ اَللّٰه

                        :jkk:
                        http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

                        "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

                        – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                          Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
                          I never classified it as non-tayyib, just mentioning that Muslims should strive to eat healthier because it's part of our deen.

                          Skittles is halal, but there's nothing good about them. It's processed, is paced with sugars and other chemicals, and it's not healthy. It is delicious though. Really really delicious.

                          Chicken is halal, but unless the chickens are in a farm that doesn't practice factory farming then it can't be tayyib. One of the conditions of halal is that the animals need to be cared for, eat good things, and killed humanely as possible.

                          I think Muslims are so focused on the halal that they sometimes forget about the tayyib and that's causing a lot of health problems for families.
                          Your post implied Halaal food isn't necessarily Tayyib,

                          Tayyib means pure if I'm not mistaken,

                          So if a food ain't pure than its impure right?

                          Anyway I asked Sheikh, will post his answer.

                          :jkk:
                          http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

                          "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

                          – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                            Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                            Your post implied Halaal food isn't necessarily Tayyib,

                            Tayyib means pure if I'm not mistaken,

                            So if a food ain't pure than its impure right?

                            Anyway I asked Sheikh, will post his answer.

                            :jkk:

                            Tayyib means good. A food can be halal but not tayyib, i.e. sugar is halal but if you have diabetes then it isn't tayyib for you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: It's Halal, but is it Tayyib?

                              Originally posted by lonelyniqabi View Post
                              Tayyib means good. A food can be halal but not tayyib, i.e. sugar is halal but if you have diabetes then it isn't tayyib for you.
                              Allergies, Illnesses are not what I was referring to,

                              I'll post Sheikh reply, after QA

                              :jkk:
                              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

                              "It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

                              – Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X