X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True or false, bidah or not?

Assalamu alaikum,

Dear brothers and sisters,

Since I was raised in a community full of bidah and following a tradition without support from sunnah and Quran, I still don't know which of these things are false or true.

These things in which I have doubts are bidah:

1. Cutting nails at night or tuesday is dangerous
    2. Throwing garbage at night is dangerous
    3. Cleaning home on tuesday is dangerous
    4. Cleaning home on friday is not good
    5. Fasting on Ramadan and fasting out of ramadan is not same. If you are fasting out of Ramadan you have to be much more careful and devoted to it than in Ramadan.

This all sounds as bidah and false to me, but I need proofs.
    Don't rush your salat for anything, as you are standing in front of
    The One who is in charge of whatever you are rushing for!

Re: True or false, bidah or not?

Superstitions have no basis in Islam. The first four (except the second) you mentioned are falsehood and haram to believe in and could lead to shirk.

Although the throwing the garbage one may have some proof due to it being a place where the Jinns gather and eat from. So it can be dangerous in a way. We should still consult a scholar and not make things up.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Tiyarah (superstitious belief in omens) is shirk.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1614), Abu Dawood (3910), Ibn Majaah (3538); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The word tiyarah is derived from the word tatayyur, which refers to superstition about something that is seen or heard; or it was said that it refers to superstition about anything ,whether it is something that is seen or heard, or a time or place. This is more comprehensive as it includes things that are not seen or heard, such as superstition about certain times.

https://islamqa.info/en/97221

As for the fifth, the opposite is true. That is because Ramadan fasting is obligatory. So one has to be careful when brushing teeth, washing mouth, etc. as to not swallow anything. Also, one has to avoid false speech and not look at haram, etc. because they contradict one's fasting which is to to it for Allah and gain taqwa. As for voluntary fasting outside of Ramadan, you can break it at any time you want. It's up to you. So if you decide to fast and begin, and by Dhuhr you decide you want to break it, it's allowed.

Lastly, the burden of proof lies on the claimant. So whoever claims these things must bring proof. If there is no proof, then he is lying against the religion of Allah. And surely there is no proof for any of this.
    Last edited by Abu Abdur_Rahman; 24-01-17, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Dear Basheer,

Jazakallahu Khair for the response. I'm not superstitious, neuzubillah. That's why I'm asking these questions. If I'd be superstitious I wouldn't ask at all.

There many other superstition claims in my societies, and I'm not asking about them, because it's nonsense.

Claims about dangerous cutting nails at tuesday and in evening comes from old Muslim ladies from my society and as well as from imams. They claim that we'd be possessed by Jinn if we do in opposite. They were not educated well and they're also influenced by another society who are considered as well educated (wont mention which one, because I'm afraid I'd cause sadness among them).

The claim about cleaning home on friday was connected to Jumah and breaking its holiness. So it's all false... Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Benefy View Post
        Dear Basheer,

Jazakallahu Khair for the response. I'm not superstitious, neuzubillah. That's why I'm asking these questions. If I'd be superstitious I wouldn't ask at all.

There many other superstition claims in my societies, and I'm not asking about them, because it's nonsense.

Claims about dangerous cutting nails at tuesday and in evening comes from old Muslim ladies from my society and as well as from imams. They claim that we'd be possessed by Jinn if we do in opposite. They were not educated well and they're also influenced by another society who are considered as well educated (wont mention which one, because I'm afraid I'd cause sadness among them).

The claim about cleaning home on friday was connected to Jumah and breaking its holiness. So it's all false... Thanks
        Yes of course you aren't superstitious. It is clear from how you worded your post that you don't believe in them.

I worded my post generally and not really to you.

If you have questions or maybe doubts regarding the subject then I suggest you contact a fatwa service like islamqa. That would make it official.

Comment

Nice!
          I also have problem asking for fatwa in my society, because our official scholars are also influenced.

Jazakallah Khair

Comment

Working...
          X