Halal Jobs for Sisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halal Jobs for Sisters

I'm trying to figure out where I could work and it seems like there are few options. For example, I was looking into becoming a dental assistant, but I realized I'd probably end up being alone with a man. I was also looking into becoming a phlebotomist, but companies usually require their employees to travel to patients' homes and I fear I may end up being alone with a man. I also looked at becoming a child care provider but the average salary is 19,000 and that is almost impossible to live off of. Even if went into child care and apply for government assistance, I fear that I could end up living alone in a bad area as the city I will be moving to is the most violent in the country. And either way, there are plenty more reasons why I think working in child care is improbable.

I won't be able to further my education and I can't think of any halal jobs that don't require a degree where I'd make enough to sustain myself. Any suggestions?
    وَمَنْ أَعْرَضَ عَنْ ذِكْرِي فَإِنَّ لَهُ مَعِيشَةً ضَنْكًا

And whoever turns away from My remembrance – indeed, he will have a depressed life.
    (Quran 20:124)

Re: Halal Jobs for Sisters

You could do get a teaching english as a foreign language certificate and teach english in a muslim country? Dunno what the pay is like though.
    I beg my parents for money

Comment

Originally posted by AishaGirl View Post
      You could do get a teaching english as a foreign language certificate and teach english in a muslim country? Dunno what the pay is like though.
      I would like that but I would be nervous to live alone in a country where I don't speak the language. Thank you though.

And whoever turns away from My remembrance – indeed, he will have a depressed life.

Comment

:salams sister

I am exploring this same thing at the moment as I'm currently in a job that I don't want to remain in for too long.

There are jobs where your contact with men would be very limited but not eradicated completely. I recently had an interview at a Rape Crisis Centre and was told that, though rare, men sometimes do make appointments and drop in too.

I've decided to look into starting a business myself. Is there anything you might be able to do that could result in a business for yourself?

What about a Receptionist/Admin? You'd be meeting all of the public but you'd not be alone with anyone and your contact would be brief and formal. I'm not sure what's preferable sis, I haven't been a Muslim that long to be able to say. I only know what I personally would like to do or not do.

I hope other sisters here can give you more ideas Inshallah.

May Allah (swt) bless your efforts for His sake and make it easy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by aidaalej View Post
          I'm trying to figure out where I could work and it seems like there are few options. For example, I was looking into becoming a dental assistant, but I realized I'd probably end up being alone with a man. I was also looking into becoming a phlebotomist, but companies usually require their employees to travel to patients' homes and I fear I may end up being alone with a man. I also looked at becoming a child care provider but the average salary is 19,000 and that is almost impossible to live off of. Even if went into child care and apply for government assistance, I fear that I could end up living alone in a bad area as the city I will be moving to is the most violent in the country. And either way, there are plenty more reasons why I think working in child care is improbable.

I won't be able to further my education and I can't think of any halal jobs that don't require a degree where I'd make enough to sustain myself. Any suggestions?
          What about teaching yourself how to code
          Codecademy.com
          Freecodecamp.com

Alex Dixon
          I was hired by the owner of the company, a programmer with 25 years of experience in web development. I graduated from university with a degree in English and had no programming experience prior to attending FreeCodeCamp

https://www.freecodecamp.com/stories

Always try to make sure everything you do is halal
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4aB12r8LY&t=225s

Comment

Halal Jobs for Sisters

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته may Allah make it easy for you sister. Why not consider tutoring?
            إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by AH_L View Post

Codecademy.com
              Freecodecamp.com

Alex Dixon
              I was hired by the owner of the company, a programmer with 25 years of experience in web development. I graduated from university with a degree in English and had no programming experience prior to attending FreeCodeCamp

https://www.freecodecamp.com/stories

Programming jobs are still mixed. In fact they are male dominated.

Comment

Kindergarten teacher?
                The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.
                ~ Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him)

Comment

Halal Jobs for Sisters

And even setting up your own business, look for what's in demand nowadays and work your way around that in Sha Allah.
                  إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
                    Programming jobs are still mixed. In fact they are male dominated.
                    I heard some allow you to work from home but anyways she's unlikely to find a job that's majority women but she can find a workplace where there are more women, as workplaces vary. So long as she's not alone with a man then it's not the worst situation to be in if she truly needs the work.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4aB12r8LY&t=225s

Comment

Work for a women only charity. One that deals with violence against women for example.

Comment

Are you saying you definitely can't further your education or that you don't see the point because the job will end up being in a workplace where there are men?

Surely only a small minority of jobs are unsuitable. I think it is largely dependent on how you choose to behave in the workplace and how willing you are to enforce limits. I have worked in several offices and there were men present, of course, and I didn't have a problem. I made it clear from the beginning what type of relationship I intended to have with them and didn't join in any of the social gatherings that they organised (Christmas parties, meals out together, etc.). I also didn't connect with any of them on social networks and if they tried to add me I just ignored it. Also, the fact that the first interaction they have with me is me telling them that I don't shake hands with men really helps to set the tone. I think it's important not to put up barriers for yourself that are not necessary, especially in a situation where you do need a job to support yourself. This is just my opinion, of course. I'm not saying that any job is suitable - as you mentioned above there are inappropriate situations - but don't get yourself down thinking that you can't work anywhere.

Back to the original question, what are your qualifications and interests?

Comment

Originally posted by Rifqah View Post
                          :salams sister

I am exploring this same thing at the moment as I'm currently in a job that I don't want to remain in for too long.

There are jobs where your contact with men would be very limited but not eradicated completely. I recently had an interview at a Rape Crisis Centre and was told that, though rare, men sometimes do make appointments and drop in too.

I've decided to look into starting a business myself. Is there anything you might be able to do that could result in a business for yourself?

What about a Receptionist/Admin? You'd be meeting all of the public but you'd not be alone with anyone and your contact would be brief and formal. I'm not sure what's preferable sis, I haven't been a Muslim that long to be able to say. I only know what I personally would like to do or not do.

I hope other sisters here can give you more ideas Inshallah.

May Allah (swt) bless your efforts for His sake and make it easy for you.
                          Waaleikum salam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

I think a job in a rape crisis center or becoming a receptionist is a good idea.

I wouldn't have enough money to start a buisiness although I would like to. I would probably have to take out a loan and I have no credit lol. If I could, I would improve my sewing skills and sell Islamic clothing.

I was looking for more jobs and I think getting a job as a dental laboratory technician is good if you have some sort of artistic ability.

Barakallahu feeki sister

Comment

Originally posted by AH_L View Post
                            Codecademy.com
                            Freecodecamp.com

Alhamdulillah I've used codeacademy.com before and took part of a course in HTML. I stopped because had an issue with the fact that I don't think I have that much time to learn different types of code to become a programmer. And like Stoic Believer said, men dominate the programming industry. Jazakallahu Kheir.

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
                              وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته may Allah make it easy for you sister. Why not consider tutoring?
                              I feel like it would be hard for anyone to hire me because all I would have is a GED certificate. I think it would make a good part time job though. Barakallahu feeki :)

Comment

Working...
                              X